KiteLife Forum

Rev Tutorial - Tuning Theory I

(7 reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

Another in our ongoing series of Rev tutorials, this one covering the theory and ideas behind tuning, giving you the basic understanding of how to tune lift, power, response and control to your own taste!

NOTE: A reliable (and free) cross-platform video player is VLC, which should work with any file format including MKV.

Subtitles:

What's New in Version 12/09/2015 11:22 PM   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

Bunduki Vlieger

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Nicely and simply explained.  Too bad that there is no part II. Would have liked to hear more about the effect of the bottom lines, individual knot ladders - but also tuning on the bridle or ... or... or ...

Response from the author:

In the future, I expect to release new updates tutorials under Kite Forge - most of the information is transferable across quad brands, but on some topics there are just too many "problem" considerations needed to cover all brands, will do my best to keep it universally useful, but I cannot keep my flow while accounting for issues that should have been easily resolved on other kinds of kites. ;) 

• Like 2
Link to review
John Dvoracek

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Recently I replaced the stock leaders that came with my Revolution handles with pro leaders offered here https://kitelife.com/forum/store/product/18-pro-leaders-100-black/ They are longer on top, and the knots are a little closer together. That got me to rewatch this tutorial, and the new leaders gave me, or more factually made me, retune. I ended up with the bottom lines about the same distance as before from the handles, but the top lines are now two inches further out. This is described as a brake heavy setting in the tutorial, and it just brought my two new kites to life - a full sail Bazzar Poulter Phoenix Pro and a Kite Forge Djinn mid-vent. I have always had trouble with reverse, and with the new tuning, the kites are much better "balanced" and have so much better reverse. This is not about the kites, but there is a difference. The Djinn is the most responsive (sensitive to input) of the nine quads in my bag, and while the Phoenix is close, tuning really makes a huge difference with the Djinn controllability. I am guessing all my other kites will have more balance and better reverse. I completed a reverse circle for the first time, well, a reverse polygon which practice may turn into a circle. Side hovers were also much easier to hold. If you are not happy with your kite, especially balance and reverse, watch the tutorial and try retuning!

• Like 2
Link to review
peter.dutton.

I was flying my Barresi Signature Series 1.5 Rev. In the past I used to tighten the brake lines rather than lengthen the top lines.

Having watched the video, I added 13" graphite handles and added My home made top leaders ( Toal length 6" knotted 1" gaps.

Wind was 1to 3 mph. On 12'' handles with equal leaders the kite took off OK and was manouvrable.

On changing Handles to 13" and using full extension top leaders it was immediately noticeable that there was more control,

and I was able to use the handles in the More horizontal attitude rather than the upright hold. I definitely recommend that top leaders are used. I will need to practice this in future.

I suffer from some arthritis in my hands and fingers so was sceptical that balancing on the fingers would work. I was pleasantly surprised and with more practice perhaps a step up to ???

• Like 1
Link to review