Scheduled Events

Post your event dates and details here, please be sure to include contact information to reach the organizers... You can also add it to our calender here.

Topic Guidelines

While we welcome any posting of a scheduled kite festival, competition, fun fly or plain old get together, we heartily recommend you ALSO add such events to the calendar on this forum... Any events coming for 90 days in the future are shown at the bottom of the main forum page, and you can include a great deal of information if you wish.

211 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
  1. Create Custom T-Shirts
    • 10 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 21 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 43 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 57 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 36 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 20 replies
  • Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

• Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

• Christmas time fun in San Diego
      Ok, this post isn't that old so I don't feel bad resurrecting it.  @Cato, are you going to the OB Kite festival on May 14th?  I'm new to kiting and I'm digging through old posts just reading and found a "local". I'm planning on being there with my family.  I'm not sure how much I'll be chatting/watching/etc. based on the moods of the kids, but I can't wait!
    • Synergy Zero Wind Great Deca
      The Synergetic Series of Kites are designed by Marc Rickett ... i bought this one from Marc R. at the aka convention in Treasure Island fl yeas ago I think 8 years.. he flew it once and I put it away. Marc made the handles for me also. and autographed. its red center purple and black. in excellent shape flown one and that was by Marc R. I have pictures but file is to large for here shoot me an e mail and i will send you pictures.  taking educated offers only please.. meaning nothing under $500  Will consider trade of equal or more value. 8132302323 cell gator1867@gmail.com
    • SLK Diamond Dive Bombing
      Very interesting topic.  Flying paper diamond kites as a kid we would try some of these adjustments but I suspect we moved things too much. We adjusted the bow of the kite, moved the spine, fiddled with the bridle & put way too much tail on them.  We also were flying in the suburban streets so conditions were sketchy at best.  Of course we crashed them often so they did not last too long. There was an art to carefully assembling the fragile paper sails with strategically placed cellophane tape to reinforce where the perimeter string exited the paper at each corner.  Once in awhile one of us would buy & assemble a kite that seemed to fly better than all the others.  It would be given special treatment & guarded carefully so as to not disturb the set up.  My big brother had a yellow Hi-Flier that still is magical in my memory.  Man, if I had just known some of you guys back then.....   SHBKF  
    • Downsizing
      Thanks to all for the well wishes. I'm going to take these off the market for now. They may come back at another time, more organized, with better pics. 
    • Rods: The difference ?
      Anything you wrap around a section of a tube will make the tube stronger in that area; even a wrap of painters' tape or a mylar label that's glued on will increase the strength of the tube in that area very slightly. For instance, if you put a tight-fitting steel sleeve, say about 3" long, in the middle of a tubular spar and glue it in position, then intentionally flex the tube to break it, it will always break right at one end (possibly both) of the steel sleeve. It's like breaking a two-piece spar that is joined using an external ferrule. It will never break inside of the ferrule -- ask any SLK guy! Spars joined using internal ferrules will usually break in the area over the ferrule, unless reinforced with a sleeve, either permanent or temporary, which can be just an extra wrap or two at the ends of the tube. See the ends of the newer spars -- they are thicker than the rest of the tube. However, if you put some additional wraps/finish in the middle of the spar tube, it makes that area stiffer than the rest which makes the response quicker. Returns to straight faster after flexing. A tapered tube will yield similar results (fishing rod "actions"). The taper can be straight, parabolic or hyperbolic, even combinations of all three (you don't even want to know what the price of that kind of frame would be!!!!). Take a look at the price of some high-end fishing rods.  Unless the additional wrap/reinforcment at the middle is tapered towards its ends it creates stress points at its ends because it doesn't flex equally compared to the rest of the tube. Perplexing, ain't it? Damn, I love physics! P.S. -- @John Barresi -- I think this topic belongs elsewhere, you might want to move it. Thank You.