Off Topic

Anything and everything that doesn't fit anywhere else... Oddballs and all!

222 topics in this forum

• 50 replies
  1. Create Custom T-Shirts
    • 21 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 6 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 43 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 19 replies
    • 1 reply
  • Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

• Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

•   I'm fairly certain that the tubing is aluminium, I wonder if I can find something like stainless steel in the same size? I will suffer doing the walk of shame a few more times before I go back to trying ground recoveries. The centre T already has a small bend in it, which is why there is a bit of an angle there. When I pulled all the rods out and checked them, I gave them all a little flexing.  I didn't hear anything, so I don't think I've cracked anything.  Yet. Thank you!   I have been struggling to get a nice finish on the stake handle, a few more turns of light sanding and painting and I might be happy! So, I went out to photograph some air force planes that were supposed to be flying around the bay this morning.   Complete fail.  They only sent one aircraft, it didn't fly where they said it would and so I have nothing to show for standing around on top of a cliff for an hour.  At least I didn't get a parking ticket!  On the plus side:  I got a call from the kite parts shop asking me about the order I put in that had 4 T pieces in it.  They had never heard of anyone ordering that many before!  They were surprised that I had managed to break two and bend a third in such a short time.   They only had three left in stock, so I've got all of them, and I got a second 40' ribbon tail instead.   I guess I had better make these three and a half t's last a while then! Also on the plus side:  Since I was so close to the beach, I took my kite and found a nice deserted beach to play on with about 20km/h winds.   I had quite a few unintended arrivals and accompanying walks of shame, but I did not break anything!  I even got back into the car as the parking inspector got out of his!  Win! I got some reasonably good footage this time, too.  Will get that up soon, I hope!
    • I suspect that it will be faster because of the higher aspect ratio. Exactly the same scenario as this build:     Six inches wider, three inches less height.  
    • I like it. Will have to try it next time I see you. I can help with the bridle because I have made many from scratch. If the line attachment points on the bridle are too close to the sail it will make it very twitchy in flight.
    • Oh, so that's what you were on. I always thought you were high on kites, or something. Scotch and Soda? "... I feel higher than a kite can fly, Oh me, Oh my, baby do I feel high."
    • I don't see anything radically wrong in the photo, except that angle made by the lower spreader at the T. If that T is already damaged it would explain the angle. In most kites the lower spreader halves should be parallel to each other at the T, and the spine should be very near the ground when the kite is lying on its face. In other words, the middle should be closest to the ground. The way to check the frame members for longitudinal cracks that may not be visible is to flex and twist gently and listen closely. It will talk to you if it's cracked. By the way, the stake looks great.