Trick Flying

From Jacob's Ladders to Cascades, Yo Yos to the Comete... This is the place to discuss the hows, whats and whys of modern trick flying and kites specialized for that purpose!

68 topics in this forum

• 38 replies
  1. Create Custom T-Shirts
    • 27 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 51 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 28 replies
    • 15 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 32 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 55 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 6 replies
  • Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

• Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

• Fine food for thought. Yea I can see a lot of times when he flys that he should "get the lead out" but that's him. Not only with kite flying but a lot of other things too. I know it- I've let him know it- now it's up to him. I just want to help him out the best I can. I don't want to give the impression he stands still all the time but I can say I think he would prefer to if he could. {natural born quad flyer maybe:) I think I will just spent some money on a line set and replace the spars in the z that have been spliced. It's very tempting to go and buy a new kite, we have one more festival to go to and they have a used kite loft thing there.....last year I almost grabbed a used quantum pro sul for 200.  If the right kite lands in my lap I'm not sure I can contain myself. Maybe if I just take ten dollars with me.  
    • I agree with the learning curve thing, but, you've got enough kites to get through the learning curve. Flying a heavier kite in light wind will teach you more about light wind flying than flying something light as a feather. If I could go back, I would've saved a lot of $$$ not buying every kite that looked like it would help me out, especially $100-$150 kites. I have a bunch of kites that I only flew 2 or 3 times... that's a waste of Kite Bucks ! Looking back, I realize that I learned more about flying in light wind trying to get my Hypnotist to fly in 3mph winds than actually flying my Skyburner NikNak in those types of winds. The NikNak will fly indoors with a little effort, and you can fly flat-footed without moving in 2-3mph wind... That's not what light wind flying is all about. It requires effort, you have to at least walk forward & back... if not run. Even the best SUL kites require you to move when the wind is tough to find. I haven't flown all of the SUL kites (like the FW AirWave), but I do have at least 10 that I fly, and probably 5 more that I don't. Light wind flying is my kiting passion, I fly all kinds of kites, but enjoy dual line light wind the most. Benson makes a top-notch kite, I have a couple of those. They're finely crafted, and worth what Tim charges for them... especially with the exchange rate in the dollar's favor these days. I'm not saying that Benson is the only choice, but certainly not a bad one. Save your kite $$$ and do your research, you might spend the same money at the end of the year, but I think you'll be a lot happier with what's in your bag down the road.
    • I didn't notice any difference, in terms of behaviour, between a 4 stack progressively vented to a 4 stack of full sails. That was using the "off the shelf" 4.5 foot train lines.
      Obviously the pull was less but both were suited to the conditions they were up in. I have the bottom train lines on the rear kite roughly 10-12mm shorter to lock up the stack on both sets.

I only have a permanent 2 stack of full sails now but it was fun.

I've heard that Alden Miller uses 3 foot train lines on his "Jimmy" stack.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
    • Thanks. Every time I go to the shop, Mike is at work, so I haven't actually seen him there. I just saw a post that they will have their shop tent there, so at least I'll know someone's face. I remember a few other faces from last weekend, and know about half were named Mike or John, but can't remember who's who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • I believe the "professional kite" is a reference to advanced flyers who might want to "strut their stuff" on the demonstration field. Any of the teams or individual flyers who are "pro class" would love to let you fly one of their kites. I believe that team 180GO!, of which Big Mike is a member, will at the Macomb festival doing routines to music with their Revs. Don't be afraid to ask, we all love helping those with an interest to get a feel for the kite, and helping with what is needed to get out and fly. Definitely give Big Mike a call.