Testing short line QLKing
To use this today not very crowded ferry port for kiting I made a 4x8.2m 38kg line set from an old DLK line set (that a SLK polyester line had cut off earlier). I have never tried this short QLK length before, but longer lines would not have been practical in this place.
I'd say that there was little interference with the traffic. The cars waiting to get on the ferryboat have their engines off while waiting - this was the time available for kiting. The two times when the ferry was approaching during the session, minutes before it reached the port, I put the kite stake in a icy sandy snow pack or the soil next to the road and landed the kite on the side of the road. Then I positioned myself along the lines on the side of the road to guard them so that no one would trip on them - however there were no pedestrians getting on or off.
Because it was soon getting dark when leaving for the session, I thought that I was in a hurry and therefore didn't spend time looking for end caps to see if they could be fitted to protect the kite from the abrasive asphalt. Instead I used the crude method of putting a temporary sacrificial layer of duct tape on them. If there would be more sessions here I should protect the whole leading edge, including the LE caps of the vertical spars. A positive thing was that it turned out that I had not been in a hurry at all - not so surprisingly the ferry port was equipped with street lights.