• Click the STAR to be taken directly to the first unread post in a topic.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

@SHBKF very nice Invictus! I've have two Horvath gliders on their way. His "I'll be back, Darling" combo. @Breezin Glad a Cadillac save you buddy. We'll try to give 18 wheeler's a little more distance with it. In two weeks we should have at least five Symphony 2.2.4's together for a large fly/pillow fight! @riffclown @Mike Klaiber @John Barresi Eli Russell and myself (Am I missing any other owners for that weekend?). Stoked!!
  3. Wingtip Tension Knots for Prism 4-D?

Yeh I use the glove hitch as shown above with good results. on my 4D. A slight change to the clove hitch is the "Constrictor Knot" if you don't ever want a rope/cord to ever loosen once tightened. I use this knot a lot for lashing parts together. Also the top of my power kite handles. (using a single piece as the leaders on both sides and the strop combined). Really the only way to undo it once it's had pressure applied to it is...........
  4. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

Wow SHBKF I want one of those too !! Is it a Gentleman? Last time we were in Vegas looking at dozens of hot rods and exotics at a show Wife stopped and pointed to a car pulling into the lot. What is that she asked in awe. It's a Maybach I replied. Now if I can get her to look at kites with that same discerning eye her life will become more enriched and mine a little easier. Last Cadillac I had could fly. Well once anyway. 18 wheeler running a red light knocked me 62' thru the air. Killed the car but not me. Getting close to 6 years later and I still thank that Cadillac. Just did . Oh my a 1960 black 62 series driving south from Kona to the southern tip of the Island. Flying on green sand with another kite out along the weed line catching dinner.Later eating dinner watching land being formed off to the east while the sun sets. Hawaiian snow wafting thru the air. Little beer, little Tequila. Cozy sleeping bag and in the morning do the same for breakfast. Now that's something the Wife would go for. Note to self call travel agent for bribe arrangements before calling Tim Benson.
  5. Winds

Relax folks had beans last week. It's kite kind not that kind. Flew the Hydra yesterday and winds went from 1 to 15 the whole time.Should have flown the foil. Now I think I understand the term bumpy winds. Never got my dance on and spent most the time trying snap and slide stalls.Good practice but felt kinda blah. Wind would load and unload sail before I knew it and spent a lot of time regaining control. When I went to take down the kite I realized I had been flying with the red sleeve at kite and red strap in my left hand. No wonder my timing was off . Yeah if it was that easy most of us wouldn't fly. Got my new Widow Maker Pro std. today. Set the kite up for pics. Had some questions and called K&FT. So excited I could hardly talk. Really!!! Winds were pretty similar today but thankfully Iv'e learned some patience.Did some stalls but mostly just flew.1/2 hour in winds started gusting 15 mph + and put it away.Flew my foil for awhile and had a good time. Thank goodness it relaunches 95% of the time. Really has helped my precision on the frames zipping that thing around close to the ground. Read the laments of many who have got their new kite only to have to wait for good winds. Sometimes days. Got a little more empathy now and I even got to fly a bit. Sigh just when I thought I was getting the wind figured out a bit the season changes. Hopefully when fall comes I'll remember most and won't have to learn all over again. Had such a good time on the foil today really thinking the Spiderkite 1.2 is gonna be here sooner then later. It really never will end will it. There are just way to many cool kites.
  6. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

We arrived home tonight & as I approached the back porch my wife said, "Oh, there's another kite." I said that I had been expecting one. I picked up the long tube & commented how I would have to keep the nice tube to use if I sold a kite. She laughed & said, "Well that's not too likely." She's used to me getting kites shipped in & really does not get after me about it. She also has a late model Cadillac among her personal collection of vehicles. Gotta love her. SHBKF Here's what was in the tube. Some of her horse & rider figures on the right are worth as much as a good kite
  7. Recharge and Jester II both are completed.. After April in Corolla, Recharge will have a new home down under..
  8. Yesterday
  9. SHBKF

images from Solo Hill Billie Kite Flailer
  10. Pull of Synapse 170?

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give such detailed, thoughtful answers:) I'm thinking the Synapse 170 is the way to go for now...well once I can justify another kite purchase;) But I am still torn between that and the Symphony Beach 2.2. Will have to wait a bit while the Quantum and 4-D get some mileage on them. Thanks again from this newbie:)
  11. Pull of Synapse 170?

Winds in that first video were far higher than 15mph.. I'd estimate 25-30 based on the wind whistling through the lines and the speed the kite was flying. I've flown the beach 2.1 in high wind and it's a hoot!!! Symphony 2.2.4 in 30mph winds. Experience does make a huge difference. I'll also agree, under 16 should be supervised until they are familiar with the wind window and pull of the kite. This was just before buggying . Now in a related thought, Here's a 9 year old flying a 6.5 METER Toxic in light winds.. Yes that's a lot of kite, yes, it's a 9 year old flying it and yes, the winds are much lighter than described. My point is with experience will come the skills necessary to pilot the foils safely. Notice safety gear all around and supervision is close by.. FWIW, I wouldn't recommend anyone of any age fly the Symphony (or any foil for that matter) for the first time in 15-25MPH winds,, fly in 8-10 first.. Once your children's skills increase, higher winds are just another learning experience. I still say the 2.2 Sport size is a good starting point.. According to Edmond Earlier, it's literally the same 1.8 Size as the Beamer but will have less pull because it's not set up to be a traction foil. Can still surprise but ANY kite can surprise you in the right conditions.
  12. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

When I came home one day last year, there was a 2016 Cadillac in the driveway... I have plenty of leverage in the "Another Kite?" domestic arguments, it's now just a roll of the eyes LOL
  13. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

Lol , fancy a go on my HQ Beamer 5 meter or Ozone frenzy 12 meter ?? Wait no maybe my flexifoil blade 3 meter [emoji4][emoji4] oh heres my mate 6 foot tall and 267lds laying next to my ozone [emoji4][emoji4] Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  14. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

Wait til you feel the power of the dark side... The balance of the force and the ability to control something as if it's on four lines...
  15. Jester II

Finished it yesterday and took a few minutes in the swirl to do a bridle check... This one is a keeper..
  16. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

SEE, SEE you people are just awful. My left arm just about yanked me over LOL. Hurts a bit.
  17. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

I know the feeling Breezin but on the bright side mines a vented rev [emoji4][emoji4] Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  18. Pull of Synapse 170?

Caution, caution, caution but calculated risks are exciting. Winds gusting over 15 today so I flew the 1,4 snapshot for about an hour and a half. Iv'e had my 10 and 12 year old grand sons in similar winds but not over 20 and right there with them. If your girls are pulling bows and good shots they will want the excitement. Pull on a kite is different but still pull. Another cheaper kite to consider is the HQ Delta Hawk. Lot's of speed and pull with 1 of the highest wind ratings.Framed so be sure and duck. Better yet stay out of the way especially in 40 plus. Less of a learning curve than power kiting. OSK has a Whizz which is supposedly HQs fastest kite for $85.00. I'd probably ruin it but you folks could fly it. Researching and learning is 1/2 the fun huh . Once you learn aspect ratio the learning about all kites becomes easier.
  19. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

Ha got a wife who is not to happy with my last acquisition. AHHH seems like my left foot has just slid over the line.
  20. My HQ Symphony 2.2.4

@Breezin FWIW, You know you want one.. I know a guy..
  21. Wingtip Tension Knots for Prism 4-D?

Forgot to add - yes, both ends of the line go in opposite directions, but they do that coming out of the center (inside) of the knot. So the loops bind each other tight. Another that holds until released.
  22. Wingtip Tension Knots for Prism 4-D?

Wayne, you wn the Prism Prize on this one Heard back from Prism Support and clove hitch it is... From Prism: " The idea is that you want to pass the line through the fitting, and then wrap it around and tie a clove hitch to hold it in place. Let me know how it goes!" Looks like I'll be practicing clove hitches:)
  23. Pull of Synapse 170?

15 mph IMO is to much to give any kite to a 13 year old without a good background in 2 ore 4 lines. if wind is 15 mph the gusts may go up to 25 mph. without the knowledge to go at the edge of the wind window fast ore release one of the lines and collapse the kite some bad things may happen. Some drag is fun, 4-5 fits jumps are exciting, how you end them is the problem. Here you have a video of Symphony 2.1 in condition close to one you ask with a 215 lbs guy and second of 8 year kid on Symphony 1.2 on less then 10 mph IMO have fun and conclusions are yours
  24. Pull of Synapse 170?

Symphony Beach 2.2 sport kite is a nice kite with a good touch of pull.. The pull of the foil isn't only about wind speed but where in the wind window you fly the kite.. even a small kite zipping through the power zone of the wind window has the capability of yanking you off your feet.. That being said it's a good choice for a starter foil and in consistent winds 5-15mph.. the Synapse, and Prism Snapshot kites are also good choices in the 2.x sport range.. You can go smaller but as skills progress the desire for a bit more pull with come quickly.. If quad is the future, I'd highly suggest staying larger than 2.0 in the sport range.. I've modified a lot of foils and below the 2.0 size they tend to be sluggish with rear bridles.. More on choosing a "power" kite here
  25. Pull of Synapse 170?

Thanks for sharing all your insights. Edmond, thanks for all your suggestions, off to research them Sounds like you have had some very interesting experiences with kites! Riffclown, excellent info on being careful about mixing sizes. I had absolutely no clue about this. Thank you I was considering the Symphony Beach 2.2 also (comes with Dyneema where the 1.8 doesn't). Do you think that would be too strong for the 13 year olds in 15 mph wind? Breezin, lol on the long walk of shame. Over here, I'd be swimming for it;) Thanks for summing up the info I was looking for:) Going to go check out the GWTW forum for the kites you mentioned.
  26. Pull of Synapse 170?

i forget to mention, i kiteboarding at one point. i had this kites: 4 M slingshot, 7 M north neo, 10 M Cabrinha , 12 M Slingshot, 13 M Slingshot and 15 M Naish. great kites, great sensation, extremely good rides but with age i realize is to much power for me even after 15 years of competition water polo play. i sold them in a blink without regrets But... this is me.
  27. Pull of Synapse 170?

for that riffclown i recommend her 1.8 Beamer and not bigger . surface of Symphony 2.2 is 1.738 M if you want to use same numbers. comparative picture are nice (2 M Vs 1.738 M) but what you say i know already, SURFACE make the difference. Breezin, for most of us 20 MPH winds are exception, is 2 maybe 3 times per year, that is the reason i have a Zen and Indoor Rev. your choice to pull out any kite on higher then 20.from what i know is not built yet the one to start at 15 withstand a 25 and you to be safe on the ground. anyway, please note, all this are Mine opinions based on MI experience and i accept any changes how long are viable. Thank you
  1. Load more activity