KiteLife Forum

Dark Side of the Moon Kite... pt. II

RobB

Hey all,

I was looking for a kite with a DSOM theme a while back, couldn't quite find what I was looking for, so I drew up some quick design plans of what I had in mind. I don't own a sewing machine, or have time or space for getting right down and sewing this myself. Are there sail makers out there that would be able to build this design for me ?

I plan on replacing a sail on a kite that I have, so the dimensions are all ready set.

Thanks...

~Rob.

post-786-1157283578_thumb.jpg

hi rob you might want to go to the aka forum and get in contact with ed shank ive seen his dual line designs and some had a similar design like that . that is a cool idea for a dual line i like it and hope someone if not ed does it for you. a totaly wicked design great idea i would like to see that in a revolution 1.5 sail

:wacko::sly:

hi rob you might want to go to the aka forum and get in contact with ed shank ive seen his dual line designs and some had a similar design like that . that is a cool idea for a dual line i like it and hope someone if not ed does it for you. a totaly wicked design great idea i would like to see that in a revolution 1.5 sail

:big_evil::dual:

Hey AntMan...

I think I would revise this design somehow for a REV. I've seen the Ed Shenk design REV, and his dual line, they were probably the kites that I originally saw that inspired this design, but never found a link on getting one. After researching what it takes to make something like this my self, it's kind of out of my realm right now. But one thing I am getting tired of, is all the bug faced designs looking back at me from my off-the shelf kites.

~Rob.

By the way, the nose prism is supposed to be that prismatic fabric that's in between the colors on Prism Kites

( E2, Quantum, Hypnotist, etc...)

Rev 1.5 darkside has already been done

http://community.webshots.com/photo/290864...072413283hdrkWx

could not get the rainbow colors ...................... copy right infringements and all

Hey KiteSlinger...

Are these kites your design ? I've seen these two kites when I first started looking for the DSOM kite. A few people pointed me to pictures of them, but I could never find out if they were available. I was told that they were designed by Ed Shenk (sp?), but could not find a website for the designer/builder. I've seen others that were similar, also, but couldn't find leads on any of them. I can't see how a prism with a spectrum could be copyrighted, unless you used the exact DSOM graphic...

The main idea that I have is a black kite with a splash of color to create a dramatic visual statement while flying. I have a FW YinYang that inspired this pursuit.

~Rob.

post-786-1157975537_thumb.jpg

Must86

The Shenk is in the hands of the kite of a new owner..... Try to search for AFX Eldorado's or dbl prism AFX ...might come up with some other links

as for the rev the can be done with the help of Peter Bentancourt ......

Link

http://www.sportkite.com/

he can help you with many designs

the design on my rev is pretty close to DSOM, hench the color change up, Peter is doing another new design on a rev 2, for me I'm sure with YOUR design won't be a problem{BTW very nice} keep us up dated with your progress, like to see the final results

Hey there...

Thanks for the link, it looks very promising. Someone had all ready contacted me about building the kite, but I think he lost interest, so I'll try the SportKite site next.

AntMan, I never thought of painting a kite myself. I never saw one done, except for a kid's art project. How does paint affect the fabric ? Or, how does flying stress affect the paint ? I guess my design is simple enough to draw with a ruler, and then do a paint by numbers. I'd get out the spray paint right now, but I'm thinking there's more to it than that...

I did flame one of my snowboards with spray paint, and that's lasted 10+ years, but I'm sure the stesses of flying and just the difference in materials have got to dictate a special paint.

Thanks for your inputs... will keep yous posted on my progress.

~Rob.

rob you can go to a craft store and buy a special art spray paint that comes in small cans i forget the name ill find out for you as fpr regular krylon spray paint i dont know if that would be to thick or have chemicals that can ruin a sail i havent painted a sail yet for i am new to this but my best advise is to trace your design on paper and carefully use the craft paint with a straight divider to keep every thing from over lapping eachother (colors and outlines) good luck

There is a fabric paint that does really well ... the name of it is slipping my mind :P might want to check on http://www.kitebuilder.com/kitestudio.html they have plenty of kite making skills and supplys to direct you to

I sure there will be trial and error before you master the paint if in doubt have peter make you one

Ed Shenk is still into kites but making them I'm not so sure of... a few GWTW members run into him from time to time and he's been spotted at the AKA convention thats coming up soon