KiteLife Forum

Starting kiteboarding

Browser

Hi, I've decided I'd like to try kiteboarding as it looks like a laugh! I've got a 4m foil (flexfoil) and know I will have to get a helmet, what type of board would be best to start on?

Are elbow/knee pads an optional extra or essential?

Will a 4m foil be enough (I'm 6ft 5in and nearly 17 stone)?

How often will I fall off before I get the hang of it :revonhead: ?

Am I too old to start larking about with this sort of caper at 35 :rev_clockwork: ?

Hi, I've decided I'd like to try kiteboarding as it looks like a laugh! I've got a 4m foil (flexfoil) and know I will have to get a helmet, what type of board would be best to start on?

Are elbow/knee pads an optional extra or essential?

Will a 4m foil be enough (I'm 6ft 5in and nearly 17 stone)?

How often will I fall off before I get the hang of it :revonhead: ?

Am I too old to start larking about with this sort of caper at 35 :rev_clockwork: ?

Hey Browser...

I would say to definetly get a helmet, elbow pads, & knee pads. Don't forget gloves ! The best kind of board to start on is an inexpensive one. You're going to need the money for more kites. A 4 meter is a good kite for a beginner in a stiff breeze (~15mph). You sound like a big person (I am not familiar with the weight of a stone), so the 4 meter will be good for you to get the hang of the pull, and control of the kite. If you've done any other board sports before, that knowledge will be useful. Especially being pulled vs. a gravity sport. I've wakeboarded, snowboarded, and have been pulled behind a truck on a snowboard & mountain board before I kite boarded. If possible, get pulled behind a truck or ATV before putting the kite into the equation. So falling is part of the fun, the less you've boarded, the more you'll fall... you'll still fall anyway, but that's boarding. You're not too old yet, you're still younger than me.

Get out there and have a BLAST !

~Rob.

By the way, hockey pants have excellent butt & hip pads if you can get some of those. Get your armor on...

• 2 years later...

I would highly recommend getting lessons from a qualified instructor, even though you are already skilled in the kite flying. Your instructor will have all the gear you will need, as well as a good assortment of kites for you to try out and use. He should also have many different types of boards for you to use and would be more familiar with the wind/water conditions which is detrimental to your overall safety.

• 7 months later...

4m will be a nice size for you are you are quite big, just make sure that you start with it in no more than 15knots of wind. Foil kites fly in not much at all so you will be able to pricatice in anything from about 5 knots. Learn to fly the kite very well before attempting the board, make sure you can fly it with out even looking at it.

any entry level board from a good manufacturer will be fine. scrub, kheo, mbs, RKB make good boards at reasonable prices

Definitely not too old, most of the people that do kite sports are middle aged :greedy:

kitesurfing camber