KiteLife Forum

ground recovery ?

sky fish

as a newbee I some times manage A ground recover. Alas more often than not I walk. Oh the shame can some one tell me this little gem of a trick's secret ? I some how land my kite on its belly insted of its back more times than not . Thanks to all And may you be blessed with Indian sumer winds for a few weeks longer. P.S does any one fly when there is snow in the sky :) .Im certain that I will have to give it a trie

Hey Skyfish...

I find that the walk of shame is easier than fixing a broken kite. Like you say, once in a while you get lucky and get a safe relaunch, but I have broken more parts attempting ground recoveries than I've broken crashing.

~Rob.

Hey Skyfish...

I find that the walk of shame is easier than fixing a broken kite. Like you say, once in a while you get lucky and get a safe relaunch, but I have broken more parts attempting ground recoveries than I've broken crashing.

~Rob.

wow I had no Idea that you can bust up your kite that way thanks Rob

Hey SF...

It's hard for me to say how long I've been flying... I have flown kites since the 70s, but just recently in the last couple of years gotten bit by the 2 line/ 4 line bug. I don't get to fly enough, but when I do, I like to fly...

-Acrobatx by Flying Wings

-Big Bang by New Tech

-Firestorm by New Tech

-Spirit Quad by New Tech

I have a number of other kites that just don't make it out of the bag much, those are my favorites.

Maybe I break kites because I fly inexpensive kites, I'm not sure if the higher end kites are more durable, but I doubt it. Other than ground recoveries, I find the fastest way to break a kite is to land in the water accidentally. The waves have munched a couple of my kites.

~Rob.

I've found the cartwheel to be a relatively harmless ground recovery that you can use in most situations. Without it, I would have been doing a ton more walking. I have never broken a spar, ground recovery, flying, or any other situation. (Of course, now that I've said that, I'm going to break one tomorrow, right? :) ) I've used it on both my ultralight kites and standard kites.

~Dan

I have a number of other kites that just don't make it out of the bag much, those are my favorites.

Maybe I break kites because I fly inexpensive kites, I'm not sure if the higher end kites are more durable, but I doubt it. Other than ground recoveries, I find the fastest way to break a kite is to land in the water accidentally. The waves have munched a couple of my kites.

~Rob.

"high-end" kites are more durable by FAR. Not necassarily expensive kites, but good, well-built and designed kites.

Just hacking at the kite while it's on the ground will certainly break it. Likewise if it's in the air. If you know how to do a ground recovery, the chances of breaking the kite are very, very low.

"high-end" kites are more durable by FAR. Not necassarily expensive kites, but good, well-built and designed kites.

Just hacking at the kite while it's on the ground will certainly break it. Likewise if it's in the air. If you know how to do a ground recovery, the chances of breaking the kite are very, very low.

Hey AR...

What kind of high end (more durable) kite would you recommend for a hack like me, or other beginners that might not know exactly how to do a ground recovery ? It looks real easy on the videos, but not so much when you actually get to the flying field.

~Rob.

I'd give a shot at writing an article, but really, Prism has already done a great job describing it and even providing an animation on their website.

http://www.prismkites.com/prism2006/

"How to" -> "Trick Animations" -> "Cartwheel (crash recovery)"

Briefly, once you have the nose pointing toward the center of the wind window, let the top wing drop back a little bit and then gently pop that wing while giving slack to the other wing to get it to roll over. If you're afraid of being too rough and breaking something, start with very gentle tugs and increase the strength of them. Guarantee you won't break a spar unless you go crazy with it. :)

~Dan

Hey AR...

What kind of high end (more durable) kite would you recommend for a hack like me, or other beginners that might not know exactly how to do a ground recovery ? It looks real easy on the videos, but not so much when you actually get to the flying field.

~Rob.

Benson Gemini. Very easy to recover, very difficult to damage (unless it's by a dog). Good starting place, easy to find for 100-150 used

• 2 weeks later...

I think Prism gives the advice to use short lines to work on ground recovery. I think that is excellent advice.

1. You can see how the lines are wrapped on the kite.
  2. You can use lighter inputs so you do less damnage
  3. If all else fails it is a shorter walk

I put a 20 foot set and 40 foot set together. It is surprising how simple a ground recovery is on a 20 foot set and the transistion up to 40 is easy and then to long lines is easy again.

Now I love ground recoveries. Hardly ever do a cartwheel put do a lot of fade launches, sleeping beauties, and standard two point launches. I find it is easier to get into a belly down nose away (pancake) position easier than cartwheeling and then learning sleeping beauty just makes it cool.

I do walk on belly down nose towards me situations. A launch from that position seems very not nice to your friend the kite. The shameful walk is if both lines are wrapped around the same tip. Probably is recoverable but not for me yet.

Key is the short lines so you can see what is happening.