KiteLife Forum

Red Bull Air Races

Well folks, you may have heard a rumor... And I'm here to tell you it's true.

I leave for London at 7:30am tomorrow on my way to the North of France, for 10 days of training as part of a kite show being featured at this year's Red Bull Air Races... I return to the USA on March 21st, after spending a couple of extra days with Carl Robertshaw and friends in the UK.

Just a few of the other pilots...

• Lam Hoac
  • Richard Debray
  • Mathieu Mayet
  • Gregory Raines
  • Marc Ricketts
  • Carl Robertshaw
  • Chris Goff
  • Pierre Fabre
  • Ray Bethell
  • (and others)

After this 10 day practice, the actual events will be held in...

• Istanbul, Turkey
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • Interlaken, Switzerland
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • Porto, Portugal
  • San Diego, CA USA (middle of September - if you want to go and see it)
  • Acapulco, Mexico
  • Perth, Australia

I will do what I can to obtain photos, stories and video from the shows... But, we (the performers) haven't signed our contracts yet, and I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to disclose, or what media I'll be able to use in articles and videos.

Yes folks, this is the real deal... The Red Bull Air Races reach roughly 2.3 billion spectators every year, both in person and through international television.

The kite show will feature individual dual and quad line performances, single line displays, as well as a quad team and a dual line mega team, plus a few night flies.

Hopefully it will crack the media market wide open for more kiters in the future, especially with such an all-star list of performers.

Well folks, you may have heard a rumor... And I'm here to tell you it's true.

I leave for London at 7:30am tomorrow on my way to the North of France, for 10 days of training as part of a kite show being featured at this year's Red Bull Air Races... I return to the USA on March 21st, after spending a couple of extra days with Carl Robertshaw and friends in the UK.

Just a few of the other pilots...

• Lam Hoac
  • Richard Debray
  • Mathieu Mayet
  • Gregory Raines
  • Marc Ricketts
  • Carl Robertshaw
  • Chris Goff
  • Pierre Fabre
  • Ray Bethell
  • (and others)

After this 10 day practice, the actual events will be held in...

• Istanbul, Turkey
  • Barcelona, Spain
  • Location TBD
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • Porto, Portugal
  • San Diego, CA USA (middle of September - if you want to go and see it)
  • Acapulco, Mexico
  • Perth, Australia

I will do what I can to obtain photos, stories and video from the shows... But, we (the performers) haven't signed our contracts yet, and I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to disclose, or what media I'll be able to use in articles and videos.

Yes folks, this is the real deal... The Red Bull Air Races reach roughly 2.3 billion spectators every year, both in person and through international television.

The kite show will feature individual dual and quad line performances, single line displays, as well as a quad team and a dual line mega team, plus a few night flies.

Hopefully it will crack the media market wide open for more kiters in the future, especially with such an all-star list of performers.

John, this is GREAT! What an opportunity for kiting! And for you too! :w00t:

Can't wait to hear about it, and maybe get out to San Diego to see it in person!

Jim

Yes, Great news John!

As you can all guess, we're all really excited about this!

Thanks to Red Bull and the organizers for putting this together.

The energy level is so high here today!

I'll be on your door step at 4:55am tomorrow! (where's the sleepy eyed emoticon?)

Lam's re-organizing and filling his kite bag right now, a new Prism rollup from Mark :wub: for the trip.

You guys are going to have a blast! :)

I definitely have San Diego on my list :)

T

Hey John

Looks like San Diego will be the only place to catch up with you this year. We will try and schedule it in. Love to see it in person. You are one lucky man!

Steve and Trish

:wub:

Well folks, I'm at PDX waiting for my flight to Newark, then on to London... Should arrive around 7am tomorrow, London time.

Thanks Theresa, for the "crack of dawn" ride to the airport!

Wow, wow, wow... How exciting is this?

I'm planning on writing a "part 1" article about the trip and our training, hopefully for inclusion in issue 53 of Kitelife Magazine.

Down the road, later in the year, I'll write a "part 2" article, covering some of the stuff in the actual shows.

I'm making this trip with about $150 in bank, so it's going to be a frugal one... Anyone who hasn't signed up as a Kitelife subscriber yet, now is the time!

http://www.kitelifers.com

You can also make donations (of any amount) by clicking on the link below... Even if you don't have a PayPal account, you can use just about any major credit card.

pixel.gif

Thanks all... For your support, your love and your belief in greater things for all of us!

Hey, I've got wings. lol I've got Red Bull in my fridge... and I love a Red bBll at my festivals...and there are no woman on that list.... lol.... Hey, a girls got to try. John, Lam and the others. You guys have a safe journey.. someone get some video too.

You heard them people, John is kite poor... Subscribe to the Magazine. It's a great product.

BB

Penny

John, I sent you an e-mail....figuring you may get internet at Carl's. (Hi Carl!! :wub: )

Bob signed up today while he was at The Shoppe :)

He thanks you for signing his kite for him before you got on the plane :)

A big thank you and welcome to new Subscriber Bob P. today!

Welcome Bob!

Have a great time John!

T

• 2 weeks later...
ah good to see you here theresa and i to am hopeing the boys and girls of kite life have a safe trip and the best of luck cant wait to see the footage when john returns

Thank you everyone, John and I had a great time with all the other pilots, we train hard everyday and it turn out very nicely done. Everyone had a awesome time together.

Beautiful weather, wind from light to medium very nice smooth wind. We hang out fly kite, eat drink and a lot of chating :kid_devlish: . I am sure Jogn have a lot to tell you all soon.

Good day.

• 1 month later...

Latest news from Red Bull...

The Red Bull Air Race GmbH regrets to inform that the race in Barcelona, scheduled for 23rd June has been cancelled.

Due to new security conditions implemented by local authorities, the necessary written authorizations required for an event of this scale have not been obtained. The early availability of permissions is a prerequisite for an event the size of the Air Race. To run a professional and safe event it is necessary to comply with the parameters set by the experts.

"The event production was based on the same parameters which worked last year but with just two months left until the planned race, the new security conditions leave us with no other option than to cancel the event. Last year's race in Barcelona attracted over one million spectators and safety is paramount for an event the size and scale of the Red Bull Air Race," said Bernd Loidl, CEO of the Red Bull Air Race Gmbh.

We've still got other events on the schedule, but this one is off the list.

Thats a drag, I am into the air races. Oh well, an opportunity here, set up some gates for vertical and horizontal passes, longer lines, and hey, Rosso Torro Rev racing. Two or more :kid_devlish: at a time around the course and the first back on the floor over the finish line gets to do it again.....and again.

• 3 months later...

Well folks, I am very sorry to report... The Red Bull kite show for San Diego has been canceled due to organizational issues with the local Navy base.

Perth is reportedly guaranteed to happen, and word from the Red Bull offices shows our chances of being a part of Red Bull's Air Races next year as being quite good.