KiteLife Forum

kite lights

ant man

whats up peeps check out these lights that i got at wal mart im still looking for the finger lights..... these dont fit on a rev but do nicely on my prism mirage and they are good and bright and clip on the LE however they wont fit onbigger frames sul or std will be your best bet these are clipped on avia sport 210 rods as i reframed my LE s with them here are pics below i still need the finger lights for the revs the first pic is before i left to head out the second was after setup at the beach and the third was a fly by my wife is good with the camera :P it was a nice night on the beach some cold beers and night flying i plan on more of these light sets too

post-812-1175314463_thumb.jpg

post-812-1175314481_thumb.jpg

post-812-1175314580_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

well i only got these 2 sets for now im going to get 2 morw for the top i just wanted to see how these work if i put on 2 more ill probly need some wind due to the extra weight they are not heavy but i dont know what 4 sets will do they do work well the winds were 6 on my meter and the kite fle well i looked up wallgreens locations there are 2 not far from me im going to go there and try to find the rev lights

yea ive seen those and had them for sport kites they fall off for slk kites they are good i want the finger lights everyone is talking about john and quad kit have them and say they are the best

• 1 month later...

I found finger lights at Walmart the other day. They are called Ring Lights & Strobe from Cool Concepts. They were by the check out counter in a Super Walmart on a flashlight display case. I am pretty sure these are the ones that JB is using.

Tried them last night. Put 5 on Dual Line. Only one would stay one. It seems there is contact bounce and slight g forces would disconnect the battery contacts. This shuts the light off. One of the lights did not display this problem. I could flick this light with my finger nail and it would stay on. The others would turn off with a slight flick. The solution I think is to open the battery compartment and slide some folded paper under the contacts. I did this and it greatly improved the performance. I took about 1 inch by 1/8 inch strip of newspaper and folded it.

It was interesting flying in the dark. You lose your visual cues and that makes things a little different.

i like the finger lights .. work great on the revs .. the lights i posted are wall mart lights too . they are made for hat brim work lights but fit great on delta wings and are super bright .. ive used them on dual 120 foot lines and saw them perfect

The magnetic ones fall off everytime! Well at least for me.

Hi, Kris,

You can keep the magnets from getting lost if you tape them to the sail with a piece of duck tape or masking tape. It may not hold on a dive-stop that doesn't, but it should keep them on for "gentle" maneuvers.

I've used the finger lights with good success and have some electroluminescent wire I want to try next. We didn't have the wind at Holden Beach, but maybe Beech Mountain will be better.

• 5 years later...

Having seen a number of various lights on kites and been underwhelmed by their brightness, I decided to give a shot at making my own. Here are the first two attempts. I used an ultra-bright wide-angle LED attached to a coin cell battery. The battery holder is attached to a magnet, which can then be attached to the kite sail with an opposing magnet on the opposite side of the kite. I coated the magnets in a silicone-based glue so that they are slightly tacky to grip the kite without damaging it. They can be attached anywhere on the sail as opposed to being limited to the spars and leading edge. The magnets I found are a bit heavy and I am looking for some lighter and stronger neodymium magnets to replace them with. These are clearly a crude product, but it's a start. Thoughts?

post-7410-0-83179400-1355473749_thumb.jp

post-7410-0-04705800-1355473765_thumb.jp

post-7410-0-28067300-1355473780_thumb.jp

post-7410-0-65615700-1355473795_thumb.jp

post-7410-0-19401200-1355473801_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

We did this last June... No lights on the kites, flood and spot lights on the GROUND. :)

The iQuad team has also traditionally flown with lights on our Revs at WSIKF (these are time-lapse photos by Scott Weider)... We use the plain "bulb and battery" approach, we use square-bulb blue LED lights, wider degree of visibility and nothing quite cuts the night sky like blue - great for visibility. :)

post-1-0-50448600-1356913670_thumb.jpg post-1-0-67901400-1356913749_thumb.jpg post-1-0-48974900-1356913764_thumb.jpg

• Like 1