KiteLife Forum

Beginner trick kite

kitt

I agree with Ant Man. Both of those kites the E2 and the Hypnotist (the Hypnotist replaced the Mirage name due to a copyright infraction) come with the Prism Freestyle Pilot DVD FREE! This makes it an excellent package that not only tricks very well but also helps you learn how to do many different things.

If you already know how to fly then these kites are a great "next step" towards slack line tricking.

Another option would be the Silver Fox or the Acrobatx from flying wings. These are excellent tricking kites at a very affordable price. They don't come with a training DVD though so that may be a decision maker for you.

The Freestyle Pilot DVD is an excellent DVD that teaches you the basics like stalls and ground recoveries up to the advanced tricks like flic-flacs, Yo-Yo's, Jacob's Ladders, etc...

I have been playing around with a couple kites from HQ, others will have a lot more info on them I am sure.

The Shadow is a very good tricker and pretty solid kite for a great price. I would call the kite an ultra light, it flies very well starting around 2-3 mph winds (1-2 for experienced pilots). I was really quite surprised at how nice the kite tricked in those winds. Very nice indeed.

Another one that surprised me was the Tattoo Zero. I really connected with this kite right out of the bag. It flies very well in 0 to 6 mph winds and is capable of bout every trick I can throw at it (which isn't much but growing more every session). It axle's very nicely, 540's quick and flat, cascades and flic-flac's with very little effort. Very nice kite and I am happy I got it.

On the other HQ kites, I have heard good things about the Obsession 2 but have not yet had a chance to pilot that one personally. The Tramontana has been hailed as an excellent kite and has just recently been replaced with the new Gallego. Haven't flown one of these either but have one of them coming my way to try out. Overall the build quality and materials look to be top notch thus far and HQ has been doing kites long enough to have worked out any problems and land a nice design that performs.

So far their light wind stuff has really impressed me. I will let you know what I find out when I get the chance to fly the Gallego.

Hope this helps.

I'd recommend either the Jump from Level One (about $100) for a small/medium kite, or the Silver Fox from Flying Wings (about $160) for a full size kite... Both are quite capable, and I have them both in my own bag as well. :)

These two kites have good trick ability, along with good precision... An important combination.

I'd recommend either the Jump from Level One (about $100) for a small/medium kite, or the Silver Fox from Flying Wings (about $160) for a full size kite... Both are quite capable, and I have them both in my own bag as well. :)

These two kites have good trick ability, along with good precision... An important combination.

Which Silver fox do you recommend? there is the 2.3 and the 2.5

Between the two, I'd personally recommend the 2.5 due to it's overall skills.

The 2.3 is a little smaller, faster and trickier.

The 2.5 is full-size (8-ish feet), and offers a better balance between tricks and precision... It will teach you more, IMHO.

I have a Prism Fanatic, presume this will trick OK although not in the same league as the ones you are talking about.

Do you recon it is worth getting the Prism DVD. I would like to start tricking but seem to get a lot of wing wraps, would think that is fairly normal to start.

Hey there...

I found the Prism DVD to be very helpful. I got mine with my Mirage kite, what a deal. Don't forget the New Tech Big Bang comes with the Dodd Gross video. The Big Bang is still one of my favorite kites.

~Rob.

• 9 months later...
I have a Prism Fanatic, presume this will trick OK although not in the same league as the ones you are talking about.

Do you recon it is worth getting the Prism DVD. I would like to start tricking but seem to get a lot of wing wraps, would think that is fairly normal to start.

Is there a Torrent up for that prism DVD?

• 3 months later...

I've got a Cherry Bomb by newtech kites (Dodd Gross design), and so far, Im really enjoying it. The handling and trickability is great. The cost is very reasonable for a kite of this caiber. Being very new to the sport, and still in the learning stages of mostly all tricks, I have to say, that the maneuverability of this kite is great. I haven't had any trouble getting this kite to stall, spin or take off.

It is a little on the light side, so Im experimenting with weighting it, and its seeming to work great, as well as give it a higher wind range. Plus, its got a 4th stabilizer line, between the upper and lower outhaul lines on the leading edge for more stability in higher wind situation.

It's also got a break-away velcro strap at the tail, for those nasty dive bombs that you will most certainly do while starting out. It prevents the spine from breaking in the even of a nose crash. Saved me a few times.

I would recommend reading up on dynamic bridles, if you decide to get this kite. I just converted mine, and now its like flying a whole new, slightly better kite. :wacko: The dynamic bridle seems to help me recover from bad stalls a little better.

Heres an article on kitelife about it. http://www.kitelife.com/archives/issue41/c...omb41/index.htm

-cheers.