KiteLife Forum

Hawaiian Team Kite

new2revs

Oops forgot to upload pics...

The kite is in awesome condition...

BTW, those are called McMahon clips, and you don't see them much any more. People just use Lark's Head Knots.

BTW (again) Nice find. that was a VERY expensive kite in its day. I would guess about the equivalent of $400-$500 in today's buying power.

One good thing about longer lines especially when learning: it gives you more time to maneuver - the "window" is bigger. (Set-up, and any "walks of shame" will be a lot longer, though.)

Although this tutorial was done for Revs, the length/weight ratio is fairly universal. ;)

Length starts at 4:26 in the video, first part has to do with weight (also useful info).

Wow I really appreciate all the kind advice... I will also be going my own research before making my decisions, but will definitely be keeping everything you guys say in my mind...

400-500?! That is so crazy! Never would have expected to find what I did at a swap meet... for basically free...

Where and what kind of standoffs do you prefer?

I'm reading people changing the rods for updated lightweight... is that important? I'm trying to keep it as classic and original as I can...

Anyone know what year it's made?

I'm thinking 150' 200# lines... what brand should I get?

SInce yours is multi-color, it's newer than mine. But yours doesn't have whiskers, so that would put it around late 80s, I think.

Skip playing with the rods for now, just get out and fly it. 10-15mph wind would be the best. Your line choice might be a little long, but that's coming from someone who doesn't like lines over 100'. 200# would be plenty. I fly mine on 100'X150#, and haven't had a problem. Might be a little light for higher winds, though, the TOTL kites pull like trucks...

• 1 year later...

I have two 3/4 stacked hawaiins, pink, teal and black. I also have two spin offs, one red yellow and blue or purple (colorblind) and one purple, yellow and something else. they are at my cabin until next weekend, then I can get actual colors. I also have a full size hawaiin in pink, teal and black.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two 3/4 stacked hawaiins, pink, teal and black. I also have two spin offs, one red yellow and blue or purple (colorblind) and one purple, yellow and something else. they are at my cabin until next weekend, then I can get actual colors. I also have a full size hawaiin in pink, teal and black.

Post some pics!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I feel very fortunate. A friend of mine, who I grew up with, gave me a 1990 Hawaiian Team sport kite. He had a stroke and can no longer fly kites. I'll be going to the coast of Washington soon and will fly it. I also will be getting some replacement parts for the other two Hawaiian Team Sport kits that he is going to give to me.  I have been flying stunt kites and others for over 35 years. But.. I don't have many kites.. only a total of 29 now. A string of 10 Trlbys.  Love teaching kids of all ages how to have fun at the beach. The Local kite shop in Ocean shores love me. Sent them a lot of customers and spent $$ there. HEY, it beats drugs and my lovely wife puts up with me. Love the people who fly kites and all the color. Take care all of you who have read this. Keep your strings tight . LOL Fred