KiteLife Forum

Rev Team Manual

John Barresi

Well folks, version 1 of the Rev Team Flying manual is finally ready!

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=359

If you're the least bit curious about flying Revs in team, this will be an invaluable resource that should be updated on a regular basis.

Credits go to Mike Kory for the motivation, organization and manifestation for this resource... Proofing and support given by yours truly and iQuad.

I will be rolling out early on that Thursday so that puts me in Wildwood Thursday night and out flying first thing Friday morning.

Im pretty sure we'll roll in Thursday evening as well, Im picking John (with Steve and Todd already in tow) late thursday afternoon, so however long it takes us to get from the Newark Airport to Wildwood. Google Maps suggests 2.5 hours however, I think we'll be in whatever East Coast rush hour is like through that area.

Hi y'all,

a slightly updated version has already been posted. So get the latest version here:

http://revkites.com/main/Team

You don't have to be a member of the rev forum to get it from that link.

I posted this on the Rev forum too, but for non-members, here's what I posted over there about writing the manual.

-----

Though of course I hope this manual is useful for teams, my reasons for starting this manual weren't for formal Rev teams. I live about 150 miles from the nearest quad fliers so I'm not on a team.

Part of what makes Rev flying so cool is that Rev fliers can stand shoulder to shoulder while flying. They can spend hours laughing and dodging each other's kites. The ability to stop on a dime and fly in reverse makes this possible and is one of the things that distinguish Revs from duals.

This time of year, I'm at a festival almost every weekend and I run into quad-heads at the festivals. Many are fliers I've met before, some are new friends.

It's great fun to form impromptu teams with the fliers and we have a blast. To enable all Rev fliers to do this, I came up with the idea of this manual.

If all Rev fliers know a basic set of figures and use the same terminology, anytime two or more fliers meet, they can be a team. The only other requirement is for each flier to have the same length lines. I chose 120' because it seems to be commonly used and works well in teams of two to 16 (that's as big a group as I've flown in so far).

You don't have to be on a team to enjoy the team flying experience. Acquire a set of 120' lines. Print this manual and stick it in your kite bag. When you meet another Rev flier at a park, beach, or festival, you are ready to have the time of your life and make new friends. Enjoy!

-----------

My manual is a work in progress, so check back now and then for updates.

I'd also be interested to know what you think of my method for figuring out which way to turn (the last page of the manual).

• 2 weeks later...
Well folks, version 1 of the Rev Team Flying manual is finally ready!

Credits go to Mike Kory for the motivation, organization and manifestation for this resource... Proofing and support given by yours truly and iQuad.

I propose to name MIKE KORY the godfather of the Rev. teams.!!!

for his contribution to enhance, promote, and make good Rev. fliers all over the world.

Just got the latest version. Great job Mike. Great. Thank you for your hard work.

To those of you who are nervous about flying together, you will get over it. Quickly. Once you start flying with someone else, flying alone is not nearly as much fun.

post-991-1178647447_thumb.jpg

Rumor has it that there is also a Spanish translation in the works. :kid_devlish:

Everything that Americans invent or do, it will quickly be duplicated by others from very many different countries.

I guess that's part of life. isn't it?

thanks for the props Jim and Hector, but of course I have to share a lot of it with iQuad.

The Spanish version just arrived in my inbox. I'll have to copy over the translated text into a pdf.

It should be available soon.

• 4 years later...

Just to inform those who may not have noticed, there is one error and one update that I have already notified Mike of and he has said will be in the new version. =)

For the 6-kite Compound Benefits, at Step #6 where they do the 180deg turns, it shows Kite #2 and #5 turning 180deg upwards.

-According to Mike's theory in the last few pages on calculations on which way to turn during the 180deg turns, kite #2 and #5 be turning downwards instead. In the Team Animations on the Revkites website they turn downwards as well.

For the Blender, he states that in a 6-kite formation, Kite #3 and #4 should not swap. However, in the Revkites Team Animations Blender-6, the middle 2 kites #3 and #4 swap as well, just that they turn 180deg up instead of down.

-Mike has said that in the old days, the middle kites do not swap, but nowadays most people do. So feel free to swap!

Hope this helps! =)

• 2 weeks later...