KiteLife Forum

Bestkites.com's bad customer service

thercman

After searching the internet I decided to order my 5 meter Haka from Bestkites.com. During my initial e-mails back and forth to them all was good. They seemed concerned about my interests in their products and responded quickly. Upon placing my order I thought it would be a good idea to get a wind meter. Since I found it other places on the net for $20 cheaper I asked if they would price match and the response was YES!! I then placed my order via the internet for the Haka and a wind meter. Since the order was placed over the computer at full asking price I asked if they could just include an Ozone T-shirt to cover the price difference for the wind meter. Again they said sure. I was later informed that the meter would not be in until the following week and did they want them to wait to ship them together or not. I opted for them to ship them separately. The kite arrived soon after with just the kite in the box. I was a little disappointed not to see a shirt in there. A week go by and I send out an email asking about my meter. After a 5 day wait they respond with it was sent out and they have a number to track it. 5 days later still no package. Again I place an e-mail to them with the same response. Of course I am getting upset at this point. Another week goes by and I place one more e-mail. Of course days go by before I get response and it was the same crap. Finally my package arrived a month later with just the wind meter, no shirt! After looking at the package is was post marked for the 20th and they said it was shipping on the 4th. Basically this is a case of we will do anything for our customer to get their money and then who cares. I had planned on purchasing another kite from them before they started ignoring me.

So I ended up paying full price for a product they said they would price match. They should not tell a customer one thing and do another. I will never buy anything from them ever again.

Oh, here is a copy of the e-mail I sent 5 days about the $20 and I still haven't received a response.

Hey Tony!

I finally received my wind meter the other day. It was post marked for

the 20th. I thought you sent it out much earlier than that. Anyway,

you mentioned that you would price match the wind meter. I thought a

fair compromise would be an XL Ozone t-shirt. Do you have any you

could send?

Thanks!

Greg

Ugh!!! I was hoping BK was having an off couple of weeks when I was given the runaround for my order, but this seems to be standard operation for them. Boy is he racking up the bad press! Grrr!

I posted this on three forums. Within 30min of my post Tony responded. This was on the Powerkiteforum. Anyway, he explained that he gave me good customer service but that I was not his only customer. He said he gave 10% off etc. Which is true. But it went down hill after that. Anyway, when a customer sends an e-mail asking about an order (over$600) they should respond ASAP. I got the run around with vague answers. It took the complaint on the forum for him to respond. He stated that he didn't have any shirts in stock and he is sending me the shirt when it is in. If he would have sent a quick e-mail stating that it would have kept me from making the posts.

I posted this on three forums. Within 30min of my post Tony responded. This was on the Powerkiteforum. Anyway, he explained that he gave me good customer service but that I was not his only customer. He said he gave 10% off etc. Which is true. But it went down hill after that. Anyway, when a customer sends an e-mail asking about an order (over$600) they should respond ASAP. I got the run around with vague answers. It took the complaint on the forum for him to respond. He stated that he didn't have any shirts in stock and he is sending me the shirt when it is in. If he would have sent a quick e-mail stating that it would have kept me from making the posts.

Whether someone spends $600. or $20., there is no excuse for poor communication.

After looking at the package is was post marked for the 20th and they said it was shipping on the 4th.

That says it all!!!! ;) I will never even go to the web store of someone like that :blue_wow: and never do business with them.

Thanks for putting the word out. If more people did this the bad guys would go out of business and the good guys would pay even more attention to the buyers.

I have a rev but have only flown it a couple of times. It seems to like a good breeze to fly well. Anyway, I am stuck in the desert until September but when I return to Spokane I will have go down to the park. Are there other people that fly out there as well?

Just me. There is the Lilac City Wind Chasers in Spokane, but they fly at Friendship Park on most Tuesdays (I think) I tried to meet up with them once, but there was no wind, and they weren't there. I'll be in touch with them starting on August 20th (I'm goin to WSIKF, They go there every year). Hopefully I will be able to convince them to start flying at Eagle Ridge, because there's a lot more wind there.

Are you going to WSIKF this year?

Guys.. get a room... you hijacked an interesting topic for a personal chat.

I have to do all of my shopping mail order, because the only retail kite store that had anything good has lost her enthusiasm for kites. Because they don't sell as well as webikinz... Sad thing is is that in an area with a HUGE population and HUNDREDS of miles of beaches, there aren't many kite fliers.

I'm lucky to have never been burned by mail order retailers. I've bought some stuff recently from MidWest kites, and they have SUPER service, and fast shipping (like 2 days to NY !). I've been a customer of Into the Wind since the late 80's when I walked into their store in Boulder. They've been really good to me as well, have a great catalog, but if you're in a hurry, you need to pay the vig for overnight or second day shipping. Standard shipping from them usually takes 2 weeks to NY.

Keep in mind that the whole computer & internet thing is new to alot of people still... Just because someone has a web site doesn't mean that they know how to use it. If you have a problem, the best way to fix it is to call them and work it out. If they don't have an 800 number, I wouldn't place an order in the first place...

~Rob.

Just because someone has a web site doesn't mean that they know how to use it. If you have a problem, the best way to fix it is to call them and work it out. If they don't have an 800 number, I wouldn't place an order in the first place...

This is Soooooo Very True!!! However I must say that BK did not answer emails or return phonecalls. One is lucky to actually get them on the phone. I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but based on other's experiences from this forum combined with my own, does not reflect well at all on them.

ps. Even though they are expensive, I love Into The Wind as well. Their catalogs totally hooked me into kite flying. :?

Kite shops and retailers in general, beware. The consumer now has a voice.

To kind of keep the mood in an up swing, what kite seller do you use you like?

I like Midwestkites I have used them all this year and so far (5 orders) so good. Seems like a large mom and pop shop. They are HAPPY to talk to you on the phone and the web pages are updated constantly showing what is new or out of stock. When ever I make a special order (ie colors) it comes up on the web page as a “for Denny only” item when it comes in and email from them. Oh yea, they have great prices to after the first purchase you get a nice discount. Revolution has them listed as a seller of Revs which pointed me there the first time.

Guys.. get a room... you hijacked an interesting topic for a personal chat.

I have to do all of my shopping mail order, because the only retail kite store that had anything good has lost her enthusiasm for kites. Because they don't sell as well as webikinz... Sad thing is is that in an area with a HUGE population and HUNDREDS of miles of beaches, there aren't many kite fliers.

I'm lucky to have never been burned by mail order retailers. I've bought some stuff recently from MidWest kites, and they have SUPER service, and fast shipping (like 2 days to NY !). I've been a customer of Into the Wind since the late 80's when I walked into their store in Boulder. They've been really good to me as well, have a great catalog, but if you're in a hurry, you need to pay the vig for overnight or second day shipping. Standard shipping from them usually takes 2 weeks to NY.

Keep in mind that the whole computer & internet thing is new to alot of people still... Just because someone has a web site doesn't mean that they know how to use it. If you have a problem, the best way to fix it is to call them and work it out. If they don't have an 800 number, I wouldn't place an order in the first place...

~Rob.

Sorry Rob, We'll switch to PM's

In contrast, here is my recent experience with GWTW. I ordered a quad line set of 50# x 100ft, and when it arrived, that is what Laser Pro's external packaging said. Upon opening the shrink wrap, I noticed that the winder itself was labelled 50# x 50ft. Presumably this was a problem with the way Laser Pro packaged the lineset. I emailed GWTW, and early the next day I received an email saying to keep the short set, and that a verified 100ft set was on its way. Now that is customer service.

--Lee

Thanks for turning this convo to the positive. I'd like to know who people prefer to buy their kitestuffs from as well...

I have been ordering from GWTW since the mid 90s. There have been at least 20 orders involved and I never had a problem. Orders were always filled on time and arrived on time. My last order was for a 500ft roll of 90# Shanti line. They called and said they did not have it on stock. Would I accept two prepared sets of Shanti dual lines at 120ft and 90# with winders at a fraction of the normal price. Two days later I had the lines.

I dealt with another shop in Pittsburg a few years ago for two Revolution UFOs. No problems at all. They even contacted me later to find out if I received the package and was I happy with it. I forget the name of the shop.

I also have bought, in shop, from Kite Country in San Diego. No problems at all and the prices are really good.

I had "interesting" dealings with a couple of places in the UK so went with Thekiteshoppe as it was one I looked at frome the Kitelife home page and I liked the Olde World type name. Theresa has been great. Only problem being length of time for postage. Have had from 5 weeks to 2 weeks. (not time too postage but time it takes to get from there to here)

Not as much cheaper once postage is paid. Enough cheaper to put up with the wait, most importantly EXELLENT service.

I think one of the main things that comes across is she is interested in getting it right for you. The kite train thing is good as well.

Sorry Rob, We'll switch to PM's

Hey guys... I was just bustin' your chops, just kidd'n around. Seriously, this was an excellent topic, and obviously sparked some interest. It's too bad that the brick & mortar kite shops are becoming extinct. We used to have a kite specific store here, but it's long gone. There are 3 stores on Long Island that sell kites, but they carry a limitted selection of Toys 'r' Us style kites (you know what I'm talking about).

Maybe some of you are lucky enough to live near a real store that you can actually go into and see what you're buying. It's a difficult thing to do, dropping hard earned cash on something sight unseen. With the good experiences being listed here, it's really going to help people to not get burned going down the road.

~Rob.