KiteLife Forum

FREESTYLE SINGLE LINE TRICK KITE

Stephen Hoath

Hi everybody,

Below is an English translation of a post in a Spanish kite forum. http://foro.cometas.info/index.php?topic=14462.0 As the designer I may be somewhat biased however, I believe that this is one of the most exciting developments in single line kites for some time. There are some fantastic kites out there already that allow a degree of interaction (I think I own most of them :sign_kitelife: but this kites goes to a whole new level. Pedro and Esteban are going to be at WSIKF & I will be doing the rounds of the European festivals. So, come and see us and have a fly.

The post goes as follows

After more than a year of intense development, we can finally tell you about our latest creation, The ‘Bai Se Hue Die’ (pronounced bye dsir who dyeah), or as we call it, ‘The Bai’ or the white butterfly (which is the meaning in Chinese).

It is a team work between our good friend Stephen Hoath (multi World and European team Champion whith Skydance and now leader of ‘The Flying Squad’ show team) and ourselves, ‘The Brothers González’. From Stephen came the original idea and we put our building and flying skills to the project.

We feel especially proud and privileged to be part of this project. Because the Bai … it’s simply amazing. From our point of view (and please somebody correct us if we are wrong) we have in our hands the first real single line freestyle kite.

You will ask , single line freestyle? What is that? Literally a kite able to do axel, turtle, flapjack, 180º, 540º, groundwork and an endless range of maneuvers that can only be described as freestyle. And it makes it with total pilot control. And also many maneuvers which are exclusive to it such as the ‘Brazilian rolls’ which are rolls over the vertical axis, spinning take off from the hands, rev style catches and throws and hundreds of maneuvers of which every day we fly it (and we have hundreds of flying hours with it) we discover some.

But there is more, it flies indoor, outdoor in very low winds, outdoor on any wind, perfectly static if you want as it is or (even more beautiful) with tails attached.

Anything else? Well.. yes. It never gets stuck on the ground, we don’t know of any other kite that is always recoreable from the ground, and moreover, so easily (just pull the line, even indoors). And it is also virtually undestructible. The original prototype has been flown by more than two hundred pilots of all kinds and is still in perfect condition with ORIGINAL spars.

It is a very easy to fly kite, very intuitive, that gives fun from the very first moment with no previous experience. Even our mom (who has no flying experience) flies it and enjoys it like a ten year old girl. It’s been flown by all kinds of pilots, including some of the most renowned 1, 2 and 4 line pilots in the world, and all of them like it. It hooks experts pilots from the very first moment, they recognize in it a new form of fun and, why not, a new show.

Down side … there must be something. It is virtyally imposible to fly it for more than ten minutes, there is always somebody that wants to try it and take it off your hands !

Some pictures so you can get an idea of what we are talking about:

bai-serie1-112_edited.jpgbei-serie2-013_edited.jpg

bei-serie2-043_edited.jpg

bai-serie1-038_edited.jpg

Some technical data:

Made in Icarex PC31, printed with our sublimation technique (no extra weight, no loss of properties)

The artwork is from Sabine Chancel, one of the team FLIC girls (or a Fliquette as they call themselves). We are deeply thankfull to her for her collaboration.

Framed on Exel 2mm carbon.

Nylon binding on all the perimeter folded in 4.

The manufacturing is simply perfect.

Comes in a full color printed bag with instruction book.

First production is finished … and it’s gone. Next kites will be available in September, we will tell you exactly when. If you are wondering about the price, the standard version will be £40, 60€ or 80$ (US) plus shipping (if you do not find us in one of the many kite festivals we attend).

Is there any more? Well… yes. There is going to be more sizes and limited series. The limited series are going to be Bai painted by some of the more renowned artists of the kiting world (and probably from outside). Actually we have several friends collaborating with us and soon we will show you some of the beautiful things they are doing for the Bai. These kites will be limited to 25-40 units, numbered and deluxe.

Last but not least, we are getting ready the webpage http://bai.esste.com with all the information about the kite, including forum, blog, download area, novelties …

So, do you Bai? Join the Bai-Mania!

Los Hermanos González

info@esste.com

that is nice are their any for sale???

There will be a few of these for sale but get in quick, they are going faster than the proverbial hot cakes. We only make a limited number of these kites for several reasons. Firstly I like to know that I am flying something special that no-one else has, so in the firs instance we only intend to make around 25 of each colour. Secondly they all have to pass our very high quality control. These kites may look simple but they need to be perfectly balanced to fly perfectly.

The first batch were all allocated before we had finished making them. The next batch is due to be completed mid September. We will of course take details and send them out when they are ready.

So when you are at WSIKF go and see a tall Spanish guy with long black beard (tip, don't take your wife with you, they get all funny with the accent or something) who will be flying large inflatable soft kites. Pedro speaks the best English but Esteban also does very well.

Enjoy

So when you are at WSIKF go and see a tall Spanish guy with long black beard (tip, don't take your wife with you, they get all funny with the accent or something) who will be flying large inflatable soft kites. Pedro speaks the best English but Esteban also does very well.

Enjoy

Ah right, I'd forgotten they were coming to WSIKF this year, I'll point a mouse towards them. Great guys with some great kites. C'mon Stephen, you should come too!

Enjoy

Ah right, I'd forgotten they were coming to WSIKF this year, I'll point a mouse towards them. Great guys with some great kites. C'mon Stephen, you should come too!

I'd love to come back to WSIKF (as would my team) but money, holiday etc etc etc. Still if we get organised, maybe next year. It might be nice to try and get as many quad teams in the same place as possible and Washington has the space.........hmmmmm.....

Dave, you're gonna love the kite. It best suits that wind range just before the revs come into their own. Talk about synergy :sign_kitelife:

The first batch were all allocated before we had finished making them. The next batch is due to be completed mid September. We will of course take details and send them out when they are ready.

Is there some way to pass along details and get on the waiting list, even if one is unable to attend WSIKF? Have you finalized what colors the Bai will be available in?

Regards,

Sam

Is there some way to pass along details and get on the waiting list, even if one is unable to attend WSIKF? Have you finalized what colors the Bai will be available in?

Regards,

Sam

The first batch of kites have pretty much all been allocated. We have 10 colours at the moment because we liked them all and couldn't chose. We intend to use the first batch to gauge opinion on the best colours. I am currently at work (shhh) but will post some examples later today. Basically they are my avatar but in Red, Orange, Green etc etc. I took delivery of the first batch yesterday and was flying in my garden last night! Cool. As for details. Send me a PM and we can have a conversation.

Regards,

Sam

As I mentioned before we currently have ten colours as I can't decide which ones we should have. Clearly we don't need ten. So, to my deserning audience, would you help me choose?

Here are the ten colours available (some are very similar) , which ones should stay in production and which ones should go? and why?

post-1640-1186512814_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512836_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512851_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512867_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512880_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512899_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512918_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512945_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186512982_thumb.jpg

post-1640-1186513008_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned before we currently have ten colours as I can't decide which ones we should have. Clearly we don't need ten. So, to my deserning audience, would you help me choose?

Here are the ten colours available (some are very similar) , which ones should stay in production and which ones should go? and why?

In the order the swatches are listed, row by row, L-R... If I could only choose five, it would be 1, 5, 6, 8 and 9.

To match my usual color theme, I'd add #9 to my bag... The true blue. ;)

In the order the swatches are listed, row by row, L-R... If I could only choose five, it would be 1, 5, 6, 8 and 9.

To match my usual color theme, I'd add #9 to my bag... The true blue. ;)

How did I know you'd like the blue? Thanks for the feedback. It only goes to show you should take differing opinions, the green is my least favourite (although it really shines when back lit) As for the blue, well that's the one in my bag too.

However, two opions are not enough to make a decision so what about the rest of you? If you had to chose 1 colour, which would it be?

However, two opions are not enough to make a decision so what about the rest of you? If you had to chose 1 colour, which would it be?

I would almost certainly take a purple. However, it's more likely I would just buy miultiple kites.

With regards to the two reds:

Although they appear similar side by side, when you take them into a graphics package and put them on seperatre layers, the difference is much more noticable. The difference probably increases under different light conditions and when backlit.

It's actually scary how many of the colors I like because of the unique panel layout of the kite.

Thankfully you didn't make the choice harder by offering color options for other portions of the sail.

Are you likely to take any custom color orders(with an upcharge, if necessary)?

Sam

Are there any videos availible of the kite in flight?

Sorry to say that there is no video footage yet. The English summer has made getting anything impossible! :kid_cussing:

I tried to take some footage tonight, but if you have ever tried videoing a trick kite on 5m lines with a phone camera you'll understand why all i got was little bits of white zipping through the frame every now and then. :blue_wink:

There are some big festivals comming up in the UK in a couple of weeks and I will try and get some shots then. Whilst I can fly in my garden, I can't get far enough away with the camera.

As for the colours (please note the correct spelling all those on the left of the globe) anything is possible. We will be releasing some special kites early next year. We are working with some of the top kite artists to bring something unique. Already we have some designs from Seb Clarke (Team FLIC) from France that are totally mind blowing.

For now we intend to stick with the range we have so that we can make enough for the demand. The customs take a lot longer to make as the graphics have to be re done everytime.

Here is a photo of some of the prototypes being flown in Berck as static kites.

post-1640-1186685796_thumb.jpg

Are there any videos availible of the kite in flight?

OK so I have managed to get a very little bit of video for you.

It is my back garden and there is zero wind. This style of flight is similar to indoors. When there is wind you can use the wind to create extra effects. Making the same move up wind is different to down wind or at the edges.

I apologise for the poor quality, I am better at kites than technology. Still, I am interested to hear what you think

http://theflyingsquad.org/Bai%20Video%20links.html

New Video files

My co conspiritors in Spain have managed to get a little footage. It is taken on the roof top of their apartment block in Gandia (nr Valencia)

Again there is litte or no wind but I think the video clearly shows a different style of flight to me. It seems that each pilot creates their own mark.

I hope you enjoy them.

• 2 weeks later...

To match my usual color theme, I'd add #9 to my bag... The true blue. :)

How did I know you'd like the blue? Thanks for the feedback. It only goes to show you should take differing opinions, the green is my least favourite (although it really shines when back lit) As for the blue, well that's the one in my bag too.

The all look verry nice to me, but if I had to choose one for my bag, it would be the purple one. ;)

What colours are for sales atm, and would it be possibe to ship to europe ?

Good winds,

John