KiteLife Forum

Whidbey Island Kite Festival 2007

kitedog

22-23 Sept 2007

What an awesome weekend. Great people, clear skys, cool weather, and nice winds (well on Saturday, Sunday the winds were light to none).

6:15 a.m. Starbucks in hand and off to Mukilteo to catch the ferry.

7:30 a.m. The roads were clear straight shot to the ferry. We arrived at 7:30 but missed that ferry had to catch the 8:00 ferry.

What a beautiful crossing on the ferry, it lasted about 20 minutes but the sights were great. It was nice to strecth the legs.

9:15 a.m. Whidbey Island Kite Festival. We visited and said HI to a few friends and passed out hugs.

10:00 a.m. Revs in the air--- :blink:

Lam Hoac giving Aurora lessons on the Fearless

post-293-1190692596_thumb.jpg

Adrian, Mario and Lam

post-293-1190692674_thumb.jpg

The Canadian cheering team. And a rare site, Triston taking a break.

post-293-1190692918_thumb.jpg

What an awesome kite festival. Everything is right there. You do not have to walk blocks to get from the parking lot to the fields. There was an area for folks that were not competeing to just fly kites and a section for single line flyers and big kites.

The sport kite competition was the main event. Wow, the talent out on the fields was incredible. Everyone did a fantastic job, whether it was teams or individuals, beginner to masters. It was a treat to watch Triston, Lam, Mario, Adrian, Cutting Edge etc. all of these guys were amazing to watch.

The festival has a really down home feel to it. Everyone helping everyone out, you feel welcome. No one rushing from here to there. The schedule was well laid out. You could make all the events, you didn't have to miss the indoor fly because of the banquet. Everyone did the outdoor comps, then to the banquet, then off to the indoor fly. At a couple of festivals we have gone to you have to decide amongst different events and a lot of the times it is hard to choose.

A SPECIAL THANKS TO THERESA AND DAVE FROM THE KITE SHOPPE. I mentioned to Theresa I was going to Whidbey Island and never been there and not sure of the who, what, when, and where. Theresa didn't attend but she asked Dave to look out for me. Dave found me at the festival and got us set up with an excellent camp site. I thanked him and I love his comment, "Kite people helping kite people." I really do appreciate you guys helping us out THANKS!!!!

We could not decide on the route for the trip home. We spoke to some of the guys at the Lions Club Hotdog stand and they gave us some advice.

The Clinton Ferry runs every 30 mins but is a 45min drive but cuts off about an hour off of the drive.

The Port Townsend ferry is the quickest for you to get home but it runs every 90 minutes.

Or you can drive home over Deception Pass across the bridge. Your waits for the ferry will take a long time because the motorcycle riders will be going home from the Oyster Run (couple of thousand, if not more, cycle enthusiasts were also on the island).

After much thought Rory and I decided to drive over Deception Pass. We left at 6:30 p.m.

This was our treat at Deception Pass during sunset.

post-293-1190694739_thumb.jpg

We plan to add Whidbey Island on our list of festivals for next year. Hope to see all of you there.

Couple more pics of the festival.

post-293-1190695016_thumb.jpgpost-293-1190695187_thumb.jpg

I would also like to thank Lam Hoac for allowing us to fly his Sea Devil and Fearless. I love these kites. And Lam spent sometime with us giving us impromptu trick lessons as you can see in the photos.

Triston we enjoyed your company also. We really enjoyed watching you fly both in and out doors.

Rory and Arns