KiteLife Forum

Wind Brakes

Charlie

I fly inland and spring is coming. We have dirty winds that can vary from 15-35 mph. Can anyone advise on wind brakes/shields for various stunt kites? I currently have an Acrobatx and will be getting a French Connection. Even in lighter winds, we get gusts from 5-15 or 20 mph.

• 4 weeks later...
I fly inland and spring is coming. We have dirty winds that can vary from 15-35 mph. Can anyone advise on wind brakes/shields for various stunt kites? I currently have an Acrobatx and will be getting a French Connection. Even in lighter winds, we get gusts from 5-15 or 20 mph.

Hi Charlie, I also live inland and have everything from dirty to clean winds, perfect place for testing new designs really.

During the competition years as John will remember, we saw and used lot's of different methods for slowing down the kite. There are basically two types. Fixed and non-fixed. The fixed would be vents or holes in your kite which will make it a "high wind only" sport kite. The other are non-fixed methods i.e. Heavy lines or anything , and I have seen almost anything that goes between the kite and line that will cause resistance and slow down the forward movement of the kite. Screens or "breaks" work great for this. Problem is, anything that goes between your flying lines and your kite, changes the angle of attack of your kite and dramatically effects the bridle setting. This added pressure before the bridle brings your nose forward. One of the effects is that the pull is reduced but so is the control so this makes this type of breaking not suitable for trick flying.

Back in 95, I came up with a new type of air break, one that was added to the kite and could be put on or taken off in seconds. It is a simple screen with a sleeve on each side and slides over each of the two standoffs. This effectively slows down the kites forward speed but it doesnt change the angle of attack much. A little but not much. Since then others have used those screens, I have seen them behind the kite and have experimented with them as well that are fixed to the keel, but the ones that work best IMHO, are the original "air breaks" you will find on my Jam Sessions and New Jams.

This type of air break will probably fit on a French Connection but I have not tried it myself because when the winds are that high, I am not usually flying. Tricking in anything over 12mph (no matter what salesman tell you ;) ) is just not that much fun or even possible because no matter what kite you use, or screens or anything, the higher the winds, the less slack line tricks you will be able to do anyway.

And flying in 35mph, not recommended. In fact, you will see most manufacturers say for dual lines, ....to 20mph.

I hope that helps a little Charlie,

Best winds

Dodd

Dodd Gross Design

Thanks for your advice, Dodd. The value of a wind break (shield) didn't appear that great. I searched the net and only found one that attached to the bridle and I wondered too about its trickablility. I guess I'll just have to learn to control my "stunting" addiction for days under 20 mph. I'm anxious to get my FC back from New Tech. Maybe that'll give me the "fix" I need!