KiteLife Forum

Quad Line Kite Sail Design

SKITCH

Just a quick question here. I would like to make my own sail for a Rev style kite...(for my own personal use, not to sell and of course would use Rev brand bridle, sticks etc.etc.etc.) I see a lot of people making them lately with some pretty cool designs. This is what I would like to try.

My question is this......does a sail made from a single piece of cloth lose any performance over a sail with the standard seems/panels? I know that John discussed the design of the B series and mentioned the effects of the way the panels were situated on the kite. I also remember reading somewhere that the seems from the panel help the kite dump wind in an orderly and beneficial way. However, I also see that many of the older Rev 2's and some of the others were designed this way. I won't be competing with this sail but would like a kite that will perform well and look good at the same time. If I ever get to the competition stage I would of course use the Official Revolution kite...probably a B series.

Oh, does the applique (sp?) on these custom sails ever cause any unwanted effects on the performance. I would think that this question would hold true with Rev kites as well. Does a Designer series kite compete as well as a standard or B. series kite when really putting the kite through the paces????

Thanks, Hope it's OK to ask these questions. Don't want to upset the Rev folks at all.. :confused!: ..just thought it would be fun to try and add one of these sails to my homemade kite collection.

Take care,

P

The kite does not have to be symmetrical. Though, a symmetrical design does fly better.

The more pannels the kite has, the more stitches are needed to make the kite, causing it to be heavier. Panal arrangements are not only meant for looks and weight though. The layout also affects the way the wind hits the kite and the amount of pull..... I think.

• Like 1

tight, i want to put some graffiti into a sail, i think it would be so dope!

The kite does not have to be symmetrical. Though, a symmetrical design does fly better.

The more pannels the kite has, the more stitches are needed to make the kite, causing it to be heavier. Panal arrangements are not only meant for looks and weight though. The layout also affects the way the wind hits the kite and the amount of pull..... I think.

• 1 year later...

Go take a look at www.kitebuilder.com at the forums and the wiki. You'll find a good plan for a not-quite-rev quad.

If you dig a little deeper, you'll find discussions amongst experienced kite builders about seam layout, how the seams limit stretch along their length, and how they create aerodynamic "pockets" inbetween the stitch lines.

These things do matter, but their effects can be subtle.

I've deleted the Freedom 2000 link since it is a BLATANT Rev knock-off, sorry mate! ;)

Sorry John, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. :) I though that this was an acceptable plan as long as it is used for personal use only.

I just love to build things ( I would build the Space Shuttle if I had the plans and the cash). I'm building this to see what all the buzz is about with Quads. I just don't have the revenue at this time to get the real thing. My one worry is that I'm going to like the Quad line, and then what do I do with all my Dual line kites?confused_1.gif

I though that this was an acceptable plan as long as it is used for personal use only.

I just love to build things ( I would build the Space Shuttle if I had the plans and the cash). I'm building this to see what all the buzz is about with Quads. I just don't have the revenue at this time to get the real thing.

If anyone really looks for quad plans on the web, they'll find them... I'm all for people making their own kites too, but I feel very strongly about not helping people find copies. :)

My one worry is that I'm going to like the Quad line, and then what do I do with all my Dual line kites?confused_1.gif

For what it's worth, after 19 years of flying sport kites, I still love both dual and quad equally, for different reasons. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Baws, thanks for coming by today!

Remind me to show you Q-flaps - allows you to continue to fly your dual lines, but as quads B)

Cath

I've deleted the Freedom 2000 link since it is a BLATANT Rev knock-off, sorry mate! ;)

Sorry John, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. ;) I though that this was an acceptable plan as long as it is used for personal use only.

I just love to build things ( I would build the Space Shuttle if I had the plans and the cash). I'm building this to see what all the buzz is about with Quads. I just don't have the revenue at this time to get the real thing. My one worry is that I'm going to like the Quad line, and then what do I do with all my Dual line kites?confused_1.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post, but I was just browsing around a read this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

..."Baws, thanks for coming by today!

Remind me to show you Q-flaps - allows you to continue to fly your dual lines, but as quads

Cath"...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Cath,

"Q-flaps??"...What are you talking about!?!?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks "Baws",

What will they think of next? I think I'll pass on those, at least until I catch up on all the other stuff I already want to learn with the duals (and the Quad now, too---bought one for my wife and got hooked on that too).

Have you ever flown with the Q-flaps? If so what did you think of them? To me it sounds like maybe just more lines to tangle. It's gotta cut some of the dual stunts off the list, I would think.

Keep It Up!

Duane