KiteLife Forum

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

Gaines

I'm recently divorced and starting my own web publishing business. I've gone from putting down roots to being untethered, and am faced with the question of whether I want to stay in Nashville, TN or venture to a different part of the country (or world).

As I think about where I'd like to live, I find my two primary factors are cost of living/housing and weather. For now lets ignore cost of living and address weather. I have a Harley and love to ride. I also have a passion for kites and would very much like to live somewhere on or near water with good wind so I can sail and kiteboard. I also hate humidity after growing up in Columbia, SC. I can take almost any heat as long as it's not humid.

I understand there's some wonderful lakes in the midwest where the wind is amazing and the humidity is low. Of course, the west coast (ie. California) is an obvious choice, but it's so crowded and expensive (from what I hear). Hawaii is at the top of my list, but that's where cost of living really becomes a factor. If California's expensive, I hear Hawaii is outrageous. I must admit, though, that I've spent my entire life on the East coast and know very little about the rest of the country. All I know is that MS/GA/FL/SC are just too humid in the summertime and don't really seem to have the best wind either.

As I said, I'm hoping to be fully self employed in the next couple years so proximity to employment shouldn't be a problem...although having a major airport within a reasonable driving distance would be quite nice when it comes to traveling for work or visiting family.

So where would you move if you could go anywhere?

The South Jersey beaches are wonderful and you're not terribly far from the Philadelphia airport. There's quite a variety of shore towns which might suit your taste... if my family wasn't rooted in PA, I think that's where I'd go.

Oregon is full. sorry. ;)

:wacko::):):)

Your bad Carl. :) Oregon and WA are great. Ocean, mountains and desert in WA. Walport, OR (sp) is a great place for power kiting. It rains in WA, but wait 5 minutes and that will change.

BB Penny

Yes ;) you're right Penny, I am bad! And you raise a good point, so I stand corrected. Although Oregon is full, Washington still has some room! :D:D:kid_devlish::kid_devlish:

Look at the Central Coast area of California - between Santa Barbara and San Louis Obispo, along US 101 and Hwy 1

Some very nice climates, if you like moderate-low humidity, 65 to 75 degree weather almost year round near the coast - or 10 to 20 degrees warmer moving inland a ways, 10-15 inches rain/year, mostly confined to a few storms during winter. Pacific winds almost every day.

Few trees, until you get close to Monterey - which is generally not obtainable for mere mortals. Mostly sage brush. Lots of wildlife.

Unfortunately area has been discovered (one reason we moved back to WA), but still not at all like LA, Bay area, or Sacramento. Now that I discovered kiting, I really miss the winds. :wacko:

Housing prices have tumbled since we moved in 2005. Prices are way under the metro areas.

CA is a very big state - most of it is not LA LA land. :)

WA - I love it despite the rain. In good weather - about a pretty as you will find anywhere. No wind where I live, tho. That's Western WA and OR. Eastern WA and OR are different states completely - desert, sage brush, some dry pine forests.

There - free advice and worth almost every penny. :)

-Howard

• 7 months later...
I find my two primary factors are cost of living/housing and weather. For now lets ignore cost of living and address weather. I have a Harley and love to ride. I also have a passion for kites and would very much like to live somewhere on or near water with good wind so I can sail and kiteboard. I also hate humidity after growing up in Columbia, SC. I can take almost any heat as long as it's not humid.

MILWAUKEE Wisconsin... Harley friendly (as you know) but only 7 months of riding weather, great (Michigan) lake, good winds, friendly community, ridiculous taxes, moderate housing costs, rising crime rates, along with snowy winters that are too long and too cold, and oh yeah... humid summers...

Hummmm... FORGET IT!

I once asked a shop owner (on a winter stormy day)...

"Why in the world do we live here?"

His PERFECT response... "Cause someone has to!"

Guess that's me!

Blonde BUT Determined!

I have lived in California for 66 of my 68 years. I have not been in all of the states, only 49, but always seem to return to California. We have a home, with workshop etc. south of Sacramento in the Delta, but cold in the winter. We have a Condo in Southern Orange County which is great year round, but condo fees are high. Sure, Southern California (you can't beat the weather) is crowded, but we have learned to deal with it, get off the freeway at 3:30, leave very early if going north through LA etc.

Since taking up kite flying we have found that, most generally, the farther we get from the surf line, the worse the wind. Also, on the west coast, in the afternoon with an on shore wind, the sun is not in your eyes. This may seem like a small thing for some, but not for us.

Our solution........We just bought a 27 foot travel trailer which we can park or move from place to place in Southern California, and Arizona as we wish. We will sell the condo and base ourselves in the trailer from mid fall through mid spring in Southern California somewhere within half an hour of the coast. We will go north to our home the rest of the year, and travel from there with our 17 foot Vintage Airstream, mainly the Northern California, Oregon (Carl, we promise not to stay too long, just fly and spend money) and Washington coast, flying our Revs.

We are going to try this for a while. If we don't like it, we'll try something else.

I have lived in California for 66 of my 68 years. I have not been in all of the states, only 49, but always seem to return to California. We have a home, with workshop etc. south of Sacramento in the Delta, but cold in the winter. We have a Condo in Southern Orange County which is great year round, but condo fees are high. Sure, Southern California (you can't beat the weather) is crowded, but we have learned to deal with it, get off the freeway at 3:30, leave very early if going north through LA etc.

Since taking up kite flying we have found that, most generally, the farther we get from the surf line, the worse the wind. Also, on the west coast, in the afternoon with an on shore wind, the sun is not in your eyes. This may seem like a small thing for some, but not for us.

Our solution........We just bought a 27 foot travel trailer which we can park or move from place to place in Southern California, and Arizona as we wish. We will sell the condo and base ourselves in the trailer from mid fall through mid spring in Southern California somewhere within half an hour of the coast. We will go north to our home the rest of the year, and travel from there with our 17 foot Vintage Airstream, mainly the Northern California, Oregon (Carl, we promise not to stay too long, just fly and spend money) and Washington coast, flying our Revs.

We are going to try this for a while. If we don't like it, we'll try something else.

It sounds wonderful.. Not exactly snow birds.. are you Kytes? BB Penny ~who looks forward to seeing you both.

• 5 months later...

Well, I would have to cast my vote for the Washington Coast http://Washington-Coast.net as well. It is really great for flying as well. Almost every day, you get a steady afternoon northwest wind that starts at about 1:30 pm and goes until early evening. It is the whole sea breeze thing where the warm air rises off the land. The only problem is that you wouldn't want to live there in the winter months. It is a rainy mess, and cloudy most of the time. The Oregon Coast actually gets hotter in the summer and has a bit nicer weather. I grew up in Washington, and you get used to the rain, but the ideal setup would be to live on the coast from April-October, then spend the winters in Arizona! ;)

I disagree with Carl ( sorry buddy)

I am happy with Oregon for the last 17 years, after living in LA LA Land for 30 years. (thats why my address is not shown. Can't find me Carl) ;)

I am in the Portland metro area, and if I could, I would move to a place on the upper Oregon coast to a place called Devils Lake.

It is about a mile from the coast. I could fish in the lake when there is no wind at the beach. :P

Ken

USVI, or British Virgin Islands.

My folks lived in St Croix from 1968 till 1995, Water temperature 85 all year round, water so clear you can dive to 60 feet and still have great natural light, trade winds blow constantly, booze cheaper than soda.

They did lose the roof of their house during Hugo (they were off Island) and had to rebuild.

• 5 weeks later...
Oregon is full. sorry. ;)

:blushing:;):):P

Your bad Carl. :) Oregon and WA are great. Ocean, mountains and desert in WA. Walport, OR (sp) is a great place for power kiting. It rains in WA, but wait 5 minutes and that will change.

BB Penny

Back when Tom McCall (I am dating myself) was Govenor there used to be billboards when you came into Oregon that said.

"Oregon is a nice place to visit, But please don't move here"

Rx