KiteLife Forum

Comp. flying box

Dean750

I'm curious as to how big the flying box is in a compitition? Seems like it was 300' by 300' the only time I tried competing. Which also makes me wonder why people fly on lines longer than 100'? I've been flying for quite a while and have seen and heard of ppl using up to 500lb line in excess of 100'. Does the heavier and longer line take the place of the old wind tamers or line weights?

Dean750 :D

Yup.

Full size regualation field is 360' X 360'

Here in the Northwest, we use a full size field at all but one event that I can think of.

With longer lines, the kite can appear to be traveling slower, giving you more time to react, and slowing down the pace of a routine.

(The kite isn't actually going any slower, it just has farther to travel)

Longer lines also add some drag, but it tends to be most noticable at the edges of the window.

Long heavy line can add a lot of drag, frequently at the expense of a lot of droop in your lines. The big droop can delay your inputs getting to the kite - when you pull a line, some of the pull goes to pulling the droop out of the line.

Some people, teams in particular, have gone to using very heavy extensions, added on to the end of normal lines. Adding 20' of 500# line on the end of 120' of 150# will slow down a kite quite a bit.

Plus, in team, 500# line can take a lot of hits from other kites before it lets go!