KiteLife Forum

Indoor Fun Fly. (Maybe :blushing:)

Dean750

"IF" I can get the ppl to commit to letting us use the facility for a day, how many ppl would be interested in flying in an indoor football practice facility? I'm working on getting in there for myself. But how many ppl would be interested in a day of indoor flying with friends?

Good morning,

It sure depends on when and where.

There are lots of outdoor events coming up.

If people are going to travel for an indoor fly, it might as well be a festival. That way those that wish can compete for points towards nationals. Or a kite show, and you can invite the public to view.

Or, just invite flyers close to come play with you.

BB Penny

The IF is the biggest part of it for me. Getting the football team out of thier facility is proving a little tougher than I thought it would be. :)

If I can get in, it would probably be late July or sometime in August.

I'd love to get a Comp. going or something like that. But I doubt the University would go for a festival or the likes right off the bat. Start small and work the way up?

The place really has me drooling though. A full sized football field. Don't know how high the ceiling is for sure, but 30' lines shouldn't be a problem.

I'll keep working on it. Maybe they'll eventually allow some sort of event.

Help me ya all :w00t: cross your fingers

you can advise them that indoor festivals are held within the National Air & Space museum year March. I've been going down there for at least half a dozen years now. We have flown in between the priceless displays and all around the spectators too.

If pressed hard enough, I might be able to come-up with a video you can share with the authority figures. If the event is sanctioned by the AKA you get a liability insurance policy.

A decent location is the toughest part of learning to fly kites indoors!!!

I will make contact with the athletic deparment within the next few days. Mainly to get some ideas going about an actual festival/compitition going. I don't know how to really get all this going. But I'm working on it anyway.

I'm hoping to get this started at the Oregon State University Indoor Practice Facility. I thats not an option, maybe Gil Colisium at Oregon State.

Having a video will always be helpful in finding a place to fly indoors. I have a new video on youtube that you can certainly use if you wish.

I'm not sure on how to get an event sanctioned by the AKA, but you sure could post a question about it on the kitetalk forum ( www.aka.kite.org ).

Having a video will always be helpful in finding a place to fly indoors. I have a new video on youtube that you can certainly use if you wish.

I'm not sure on how to get an event sanctioned by the AKA, but you sure could post a question about it on the kitetalk forum ( www.aka.kite.org ).

Need something sanctioned? very easy.. Here is the link for the AKA sanctioning . Any questions please feel free to message me.

I finally figured out who I have to talk to at the University. I'm hoping to get some inside help from people I know. I thought I saw something some where here recently about a Sanctioned event having insurance coverage. My only concern as of now, is, will they let us use the space? Or are they gonna want dollars for renting the space. We'll see.

The best way to get a spot for indoor events, is to show them exactly what you are talking about. Wether it be through a video, or through giving them a quick demonstration. Your chances are much improved once they realize that the sport will not be at all damaging to their building. Plus, if anything happens, and it is sanctioned by the AKA, there is insurance to fix it.

I finally figured out who I have to talk to at the University. I'm hoping to get some inside help from people I know. I thought I saw something some where here recently about a Sanctioned event having insurance coverage. My only concern as of now, is, will they let us use the space? Or are they gonna want dollars for renting the space. We'll see.

The Insurance is available through the AKA. Call Mel in Walla Walla, 1-800-252-2550, and he can explain better than me.

Our local club, River City Flyers, covers about 6 different places in the area where we fly, indoor and outdoor, all year long.

The insurance is secondary liability for a flyer, must be AKA, incase (example:) a flyer flies into somebody and causes injury.

As a promoter and event organizer, I am required to give a copy of the coverage to all the place we fly. It costs $75.

Good luck in getting the space secured!

Here are some great links for Indoor examples:

http://www.kitevideo.net/video_files/indoor/

and:

http://www.indoorkiteflying.com/

Theresa