KiteLife Forum

New dual line kite poll

Dean750

Well, apparently I can't get a new sail to fit my original MEFM :w00t:

So I have to think about a new kite. I prefer kites that not everyone owns. I'm used to having a 1 to 30 mph wind range and a kite that can not only do all the tricks but corners on rails.

So far I've looked at the Skyburner Delta Drive, Skyburner Black Widow, Sky Sport Sea Devil, Level One Genisis Evo(iffy), California Wasp Chacmol.

I'm curious as to whether the Wasp is capable of all the tricks. The other thoughts are supposed to be able to do it all. But I always wanted a Wasp. After meeting Miguel and seeing John B. fly them I've been hooked. LOL, "Could all the Wasp fliers move farther down the beach? We can't hear anything." :P

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Dean

Just got a R-Sky Nirvana and loved my first outing with it. I can honestly say it that I clicked with it like no other kite I have in the bag. Seems like a design that is still going strong after all these years. In Randy G.'s hands it appears capable of all the tricks I've ever heard of.

I've heard rumor that the Silver Fox line of kites is based on the Sea Devil, but I have no idea how true that is. I have the full lineup of the 2.5 series. Haven't flown them as much as some of my other kites. Winds here demand an UL most of the time and the Silver Fox UL is no feather weight.

~Dan

Thank you Dan,

I've looked at that Silver Fox line and thought it looked a little heavy. I NEED a kite that flies in 1 to 3 mph around here in the valley. Thats what I get most of the time. I'd fly indoors if I could fly anytime I wanted. (Note to self. Win the lottery and build a 1000 sq ft X 30' place to fly)

So Dan, whats the wind range on the Nirvana?

Dean

BTW, the MEFM clicked with me from the first time I tried it too. I was doing cascades and flic flacs before there was a how to on them. Spinning lazy susans too. At first it was jerk a line then pull both lines to recover and walla, a new trick. :D Damn I miss those days!!!

Sucks to have to give up the blanky with my thumb in my lips :w00t:

:P Dean

Thank you Dan for the advice. I really like the looks of the R-Sky series. They certainly look like they do everything I'd want them to do. There are so many kites out there now compared to when I first started to consider.

R-Sky, Blue Moon, Prism, Sky Sports, MEFM, Benson Kites, Skyburner Kites, Level One, etc., etc.

:w00t: I'm going nuts trying to make up my mind. :devil:

If I can get an MEFM with a roll cage, or at least yo-yo stoppers I might stick with what I know. But we'll see what my Illusion is like with yo-yo stoppers before I make up my mind. At any rate I've got time to think so keep the advice and idea's coming. I'm taking it all into consideration.

Thank you

Dean

Thank you Dan for the advice. I really like the looks of the R-Sky series. They certainly look like they do everything I'd want them to do. There are so many kites out there now compared to when I first started to consider.

R-Sky, Blue Moon, Prism, Sky Sports, MEFM, Benson Kites, Skyburner Kites, Level One, etc., etc.

:w00t: I'm going nuts trying to make up my mind. :devil:

If I can get an MEFM with a roll cage, or at least yo-yo stoppers I might stick with what I know. But we'll see what my Illusion is like with yo-yo stoppers before I make up my mind. At any rate I've got time to think so keep the advice and idea's coming. I'm taking it all into consideration.

Thank you

Dean

Fearless SUL. Perfect for the lower wind ranges & does it all. Most if not all of the SULs do not have the repertoire of tricks the Fearless does. I've tried most of the others & they don't measure up. imho

I think the Fearless SUL is the one catching my eye for the winds I have around here. But with a 1 to 8 mph wind range???? Need I say anymore?

Not saying that I won't eventually spend that much for a kite being as experienced as I am, but right now I wouldn't.

The Nirvana looks nice to, and it's definatly trickable thanks to Randy G,

Blue Moon's Mantis UL looks nice for that matter. Counting down in price. Plus I can custom create my own sail from their template.

I want to stay away from Prism, just because I already own 3 and now a day's they all feel HEAVY. lol, CRYING, my Illusion was my kite of choice for trickin over the M.

The more advanced things I wanna do require a good POP on the line. The M isn't all that fragile and I've broken 3 leading edge rods in the last week. Granted, an 11 year old kite with no string infused packing tape around the fitting portion of the rod is going to wear through in about 2000 hours of flying time.... but still :devil:

I'm VERY picky as to what I'm going to fly and compete with (soon), and I can't afford 4 to 5 kites. Thats what was so nice about the MEFM before you all went out and learned all this new stuff :w00t:

LMFAO, Thanks for making kiting fun again though.

Dean

Although I do not fly too well I have a Sea Devil and think it is fantastic, I would not hesitate to reccomend it. On the few times I have been able to get someone else to fly it for me it just comes alive, in all wind strengths. From a whisper to a storm.

You only need to see the vids of JB and Lam with a Sea Devil to see what they are capeable of.

If I hadn't been in a death relatied car accident, and I could get video, I'm sure the original Big Easy M.E.F.M. would be a great show too.

Other than a yo-yo, I can't think of a trick that isn't possible. I guess we'll find out at the Lincoln City kite festival. If Barresi can make it anyway.

If he's never flown one, he'll get the chance on that Saturday.

I'm sorry, I've hit the middle bottom of depression.

Dean :crazy:

I think I would cry right there on the field if I ripped any of the ones y'all have recommended, cuz of the base price. lol

I think Im gonna hold back on a UL kite til I can keep my existing one from shredding. o.0

<-- loves operator errors

Jon, just because it's an UL, doesn't mean fragile. LOL, I've broke a few rods, but have never ripped the sail. Also, with the UL your normally flying in lighter wind. So crashing isn't like eating it in high wind.

Cost can be an issue. But like anything else, you get what you pay for. I've basically flown one kite for 11 years and I still haven't learned to do everthing the kite can do. I've got a total of 9 kites. They all have they're own thing they do well. But my UL's are the ones who see the most sky and are the most fun to fly.

The UL we have been yakin about in here are pretty much all Compition level kites.

Dean :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...
Just got a R-Sky Nirvana and loved my first outing with it. I can honestly say it that I clicked with it like no other kite I have in the bag. Seems like a design that is still going strong after all these years. In Randy G.'s hands it appears capable of all the tricks I've ever heard of.

I'm a hack. ;) Check this guy out. The definitive polyvalent sport kite flown by the definitive sport kite flyer:

RD

Debray Replica Nirvana Video

Be careful, that last one is a large one. It represents the flying parts of the Limited Edition DVD that was included with the very rare Debray Replica Nirvana produced a few years ago.

Enjoy!

Randy

Well, apparently I can't get a new sail to fit my original MEFM B)

So I have to think about a new kite. I prefer kites that not everyone owns. I'm used to having a 1 to 30 mph wind range and a kite that can not only do all the tricks but corners on rails.

So far I've looked at the Skyburner Delta Drive, Skyburner Black Widow, Sky Sport Sea Devil, Level One Genisis Evo(iffy), California Wasp Chacmol.

I'm curious as to whether the Wasp is capable of all the tricks. The other thoughts are supposed to be able to do it all. But I always wanted a Wasp. After meeting Miguel and seeing John B. fly them I've been hooked. LOL, "Could all the Wasp fliers move farther down the beach? We can't hear anything." :blink:

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Dean

dean;

The Chacmol is the light wind model of wasp family and no they can't "do" all the tricks of today but they do have a certain trick style { more old school} Miguel just came out with a new model... the name escapes me now but looks like it had a deeper keel design {maybe more tricks} and still has the wasp sound... I love my wasp and it's nice to get away from all the filp-floppy every now and then