KiteLife Forum

advice on stacking

layangman

Hi,

I need advice on the following:

Is it possible to fly a stack of 3 kites (8ft wingspan) in winds of up to 30mph?

(Crazy idea, to be flown on water jet-ski with flyer on backseat facing rear).

Wind will be created artificially as well (hence up to 30mph) :)

Would normal carbon or graphite frame be strong enough for the lead kite in the stack? What would you recommend?

Lines: based on the above scenario, would 375LB lines be strong enough to fly?

Cheers,

Layangman

a 3 pack on a jet ski!!! well if must try it be careful as a stack can pull really hard .. a graphite freme will work but one thing youll have to do is beef up the first kite depending on the frame .. in 30 mph that might be a bit much so tell the driver to slow it up a bit!!i wanna see pictures of this if you do get it going

I thought of something like this, only with a quad. I can tell you after stacking and flying 2 Rev 1's, that your going out the back if you try it. :clap; I'm so not kidding. And with a quad line you can let all the pull go. 20mph would be pushing your luck, 30, your going out the back.

Although, in water sports, when was the last time you heard someone going out the back as apposed to out the front? :P

I too wanna see pictures if you try it. LOL, maybe even post the medical suggestions as to how to recover so anyone else with the idea can learn what not to do if things go crap house. Good luck.

Dean B)

a 3 pack on a jet ski!!! well if must try it be careful as a stack can pull really hard .. a graphite freme will work but one thing youll have to do is beef up the first kite depending on the frame .. in 30 mph that might be a bit much so tell the driver to slow it up a bit!!i wanna see pictures of this if you do get it going

Yeah...that did came to my mind! Was really concerned about the safety. I will certainly have to get the driver to go below 20mph to be on the safe side. I think the flier will be having very sore shoulders and wrists after a couple of minutes :clap;

Will post the pictures, event supposed to happen on August 08. 4 stacks of 3 kites each on jet-skis, each kite with 24ft transition tail.

I thought of something like this, only with a quad. I can tell you after stacking and flying 2 Rev 1's, that your going out the back if you try it. :clap; I'm so not kidding. And with a quad line you can let all the pull go. 20mph would be pushing your luck, 30, your going out the back.

Although, in water sports, when was the last time you heard someone going out the back as apposed to out the front? :P

I too wanna see pictures if you try it. LOL, maybe even post the medical suggestions as to how to recover so anyone else with the idea can learn what not to do if things go crap house. Good luck.

Dean B)

Thanks for the tip B) will have to go slower than 20mph for safety. Photos will be posted.

Thanks for the photo's when you get them. Depending on the kites your using, you could start out at about 10 mph. Maybe less. On jet ski's though I'm thinking that if someone does go out the back, thats 3 kites lost with lines. So if it's going to happen, start slow and work your way up.

Also, for safties sake, make sure your holding the straps with 3 fingers as apossed to around the wrist. And make sure the driver is quick enough to get back around before the kites sink. I'd imagine the lines and straps will sink the fastest. But your risking the kites being towed. More than one could go out the back.

As long as they're not your kites and your not the one going out back, you keep all this in mind and you can be the one to say I told you so. :clap;

Be safe and good winds.

Dean :P

• 1 month later...

That was awsome. Didn't look like there was any of the problems I kinda expected. You all made that look easy and cool. Good choice on the vented kites. Earlier in this thread I didn't even consider venteds in my thoughts.

Good job, thanks for the vid.

Dean

Here's the

This is a rehearsal for Singapore's National Day Parade @ Marina Bay.

Kites: SilverFox Vented.

I recall back in the late 1980's or 1990's something like this was done in Disneyland. :)

It was part of a show and believe they used a stack of eddy- type kites.

Very impressive video.

Everybody go buy a jetski now. :)

yea man that was cool i wanna try that i know a few people with jet skis.. i want to get one myself .probly when my son turns 4 as we want to go riding .. i used to have a few stand up skis back in the day they were a blast

It was indeed very eye-catching! I hope that will promote the sport of stunt kiting here in Singapore.

My original proposal was a custom red and white sail kite (patriotic colors), but can't understand why it became a grey SF,??. Anyway...it was a good run, shold do well on D-Day.