KiteLife Forum

First Dual-Line

Cameron

Hi everyone,

I have one hell of a question for you.

What would be a good dual line kite (not power) to build considering:

1) I've never flown a dual line (at least, not successfully)

2) I've only built fighter kites so am a rank novice (but I can sew ok)?

So basically I want to learn to fly these, on my own (no real kite community here as far as I know) on a kite I built.

Thanks!

Cam

Hi right back!

I made the first 2-liner I ever flew. It's still going strong -- pressed into service these days when required as a trainer for 2-line newbees. It's a simple Eddy, ripstop nylon with 3/16" FG spine and 1/8" FG bow. It's 33" long with a 33" span. Nice and docile. I fly it on 50# 85' dacron lines. I'd be pleased to send you a drawing and construction info. I'm sure that it would work out just as well if the sail were Tyvek® #10. I still get a great kick out of watching the grin spread on a new flyer's face when he starts to get the hang of flying it.

If you want to get right into the 'V'-shaped wing kites, the book "Stunt Kites to Make and Fly" by Servaas van der Horst and Nop Velthuizen is a great help. I've built several of their designs. The instructions are very well detailed. Once you've built a couple of 2-liners, you're on your way to make whatever design strikes your fancy.

Regards, and fair winds.

Jim

Tottenville

• 3 years later...

Yep, my first was an Eddy kite set up for dual line flying. It flies nice and slow. However, it can spin like a top!

VERY easy to relaunch after an unplanned landing. Or even if you land it on purpose.

I use it for teaching brand new fliers. Just tell them to pull on left line to turn left, and right line to turn right. Then let them have at it.

Mine is 4ft by 4ft with 1/4 inch spars.