KiteLife Forum

clock turns and extended handles

layangman

Hi All,

I have a Rev 1.5.

I can do the basics, no problem at all.

Now attempting to do the more "deliberate and slower" moves like clock turns.

Currently, it always ended up as a fast spin :D ....so how is this controlled?

Has it got to do with using extended handles? If so, what are the advantages of extended handles?

Cheers,

It has to do with the input you're giving... Think of it as a rotating hover, with no inertia.

Handle length effects the input required, but makes no difference on how well you can actually do it.

It's all in the hands.

I'd recommend you practice your rotations by making 1/16 turns at a time, working all the way around to 360 degrees.

Each increment is a hover point, with a different hand position... And remember, less is more.

As you get better, string each of the 16ths together until it becomes one smooth movement. :D

It has to do with the input you're giving... Think of it as a rotating hover, with no inertia.

Handle length effects the input required, but makes no difference on how well you can actually do it.

It's all in the hands.

I'd recommend you practice your rotations by making 1/16 turns at a time, working all the way around to 360 degrees.

Each increment is a hover point, with a different hand position... And remember, less is more.

As you get better, string each of the 16ths together until it becomes one smooth movement. :D

Great tip! Thanks...will try it out later today :huh:

To get as comfortable as I am on a Rev, I spent hundreds of hours moving the kite around the sky (all directions, orientations, with rotations, etc) at a very controlled speed in order to understand the minimal amount of input and subtle hand transitions... Again, less is more, except when it comes to practice.

Once you're going around 360, think of it not as a series of short inputs, but rather as one longer input that is changing throughout.

Slow, slow, slow... This is where the problem will "break" and all will come clear.

==

You'll also want to equalize the amount of tension you're applying to all four lines (not to be confused with actual inputs)...

Still pulling one or more back as needed, but managing the overall tension as you do it.

==

Once you've got a solid grip on the rudiments, then flying around the sky at full speed takes on a whole new meaning, total control.

A good example of this flying style:

Kewl Kewl.. John,

Hey, I saw the B-Series dvd for the very first time from some friends who picked up a couple. It was awesome. Entertaining too. Glad I finally got to see it.

Layangman, are you doing snap turns? When the kite's leading edge is facing right, quck snap to facing left while the kite stays on spot?

It's only using one thumb/wrist to turn quck. When you release the kite stops turning. Snap left. Snap right.

And Facing 12:00 snap to 6:00. Snap back to 12:00. Check out what your hands are doing in order to make the Rev do this. Moving one thumb down while you turn the other up? Check it out.

When you have those turns mastered, and understood, you will be a step closer to the 1/4 or 1/8 turns.

You might also want to move your hands forward and back while pushing up and down giving the kite lift. (Hence the bicycle move.)

When you move your hand away from you and *bring it back, it gives the kite more lift. When ever you turn the kite- that is when it's at it's heaviest, so giving it the extra lift keeps it from coming down.

The bicycle move can be done with small movements in higher wind and larger movements in light wind all depending on how much you bend your wrist and move your body.

I remember years ago when we all tried pivoting by pulling on one side of the kite as fast and hard as possible. It pivoted but came down.

The secret is to use that "thumb *push~ rotate your wrist "movement more then you do the pull movement. At the same time you are using a forward up on the other side to keep the kite from coming down. So one handle up and one handle down.. don't forget to push forward and back at the same time (away from you and towards you) Kind of like rubbing your head and patting your stomach.. now switch! lol Now brakes, which can be a release.. a release and find pressure...click, click to stop, stop or your hands moved forward to take the wind out of the kite.

So many ways to play with it.

The long handles won't help unless you have trouble bending your wrist. They would make the turns quicker. Keep more pressure on your thumbs to slow your speed down on the 1/4 turns. too.

Like John said.. practice. :)

Now someone else might say it in your words.. Rev on~

BB Penny ~who is to excited about vacation and such! WSIKF~

• 3 months later...
To get as comfortable as I am on a Rev, I spent hundreds of hours moving the kite around the sky (all directions, orientations, with rotations, etc) at a very controlled speed in order to understand the minimal amount of input and subtle hand transitions... Again, less is more, except when it comes to practice.

Once you're going around 360, think of it not as a series of short inputs, but rather as one longer input that is changing throughout.

Slow, slow, slow... This is where the problem will "break" and all will come clear.

==

You'll also want to equalize the amount of tension you're applying to all four lines (not to be confused with actual inputs)...

Still pulling one or more back as needed, but managing the overall tension as you do it.

==

Once you've got a solid grip on the rudiments, then flying around the sky at full speed takes on a whole new meaning, total control. <grin>

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-2868899355180620723&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Had to refresh this topic and John's awesome video...

This is a post that all us newbees should take a look at!

Something else! You make me smile!

• 2 weeks later...

==

==

Once you've got a solid grip on the rudiments, then flying around the sky at full speed takes on a whole new meaning, total control. <grin>

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-2868899355180620723&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Had to refresh this topic and John's awesome video...

This is a post that all us newbees should take a look at!

Something else! You make me smile!

Jynx, check out this trick Rev video: RevTrickSchoolDIVX

Download the video file and enjoy!

• 8 months later...

Is it just me, or does this video not work any more? Is there any chance we could get a copy of this uploaded to the "downloads" section?

• 1 year later...

Yea I realize this is an older thread but I just turned it up by doing a search before creating a new one asking for bicycle turn assistance... So I'd not mind having a copy of it.... I've finally gotten pretty comfortable with inverter hover and bicycle turns and improved reverse flight are my next goals....

Thanks much...

~Brett