KiteLife Forum

Sad news re David Davies creator of the Skydancer

drmike

David Davies, designer and maker of the Skydancer range of quad line kites produced by his Interactive Kites brand, passed away peacefully at home on the 11th of November 2008, after a brief struggle with cancer.

The creator of a unique kite that performs like no other, and especially with his trademark twin tails fitted, creates a unique spectacle on any flying field, will be sorely missed by all those who knew him and fly his kites.

His son is hoping to secure continued production of his kites as a lasting memorial to him.

David Davies, designer and maker of the Skydancer range of quad line kites produced by his Interactive Kites brand, passed away peacefully at home on the 11th of November 2008, after a brief struggle with cancer.

The creator of a unique kite that performs like no other, and especially with his trademark twin tails fitted, creates a unique spectacle on any flying field, will be sorely missed by all those who knew him and fly his kites.

His son is hoping to secure continued production of his kites as a lasting memorial to him.

Would it be possible for anyone to share some stories about David and some pictures so we could run an Empty Spaces piece in the next Kitelife issue?

Muchly appreciated, thanks! He'll be missed.

Sorry, it has taken me a little time to post, as I have been at a bit of a loss! I was very close to David, as I am David's US distributor for his kites, and more so than that David was a dear friend! I spoke with David about two weeks before he passed away, and I ideed saw his passing coming. However, I did not think it would be this soon. David's wife Sue called me on Thursday to tell me of David's passing.

Dr. Mike, I that you for being David's friend and for hosting David's web site for all these years. And I thank you for coming up with the design of the Enigma, when David and I held the Skydancer design contest. The Enigma was then produced by David, in a very limited run, of which each was a one of a kind.

John, it was I you saw at AKA convention, as I was there to fly David's kites, and also, I went around the room during Friday night's banquet to have all those the knew David or have flown David's kites, sign a get well card for David, which I later sent to him!

Below is the tribute that I e-mailed to all those I could think of, and I apologize if I missed any fliers out there...

I came to know David in January 1997, when I attended the Kite Trade Show in Clearwater Beach, Florida. Walking down the beach that fateful January day, I saw a kite from a distance that instantly drew my attention… it was a Skydancer Black Rainbow quad line kite, with long flowing 45’ matching tube tails. The way the kite flew, and interacted with the flier’s input and control was truly amazing. As many in fliers gathered around David Davies to talk with him about this new flying machine, they anxiously waited to have a go at flying it. When I finally had my turn at the controls of the Skydancer, it was nothing like I had ever flown before. I fell in love with the kite, and needless to say, I left Clearwater Beach with my very own Skydancer.

Over the next few months, I kept in touch with David, and started talking with him about sharing the joy of flying his kites with others in the US. And in the years to follow, I had the privilege of getting to know David as a business associate, a fellow kite flier, and most of all as a good friend. David had traveled to the US to promote his kites on only 4 occasions, but everyone who has ever flown, or had the pleasure of watching his beautiful kites dancing in the sky has felt his impact.

While visiting David and his wife Sue at their home in August of 2003, I had the chance to see a different side of David, as I had the chance to meet family members … One of a loving Husband, Father, and Grandfather. I also came to know that David had served in World War II, as a Glider Pilot. David was also an accomplished professional commercial photographer, which was his lifetime career before retiring. In the early ‘90s, David found a new love, and that was of kite flying, and making his Inter Active Kites, such as the SkyHawk, SkyEagle, Spectra, Enigma, Fijet, Bat, Ghost, Swift, his most famous Skydancer and many more.

David Davies was a dear friend and I will miss him very much, along with the many who have had the pleasure to get to know him throughout the years. My sincerest sympathy goes out to his wife Sue, and to all of David’s family members. Although David is no longer here on Earth with us, I know that David will live on through his kites, and in the hearts of many. David was 82 years young!

In loving memory of you David!

Your friend over the pond,

Con Engels

Anyone wishes to send condolences; here is info for David’s wife:

Sue Davies

36 Lawrence Drive

Ickenham, Uxbridge

Middlesex UB10 8RW

United Kingdom

Con

The following is an e-mail dated Oct 5th, that I received from David himself, after he receive our get well card that AKA attendees signed...

Hi Con,

" What a wonderful thing to do for a friend in trouble" Your card with all the signatures on arrived yesterday........I was too overcome with emotion to trust myself to talk to you, hence this email today. Please Please thank all the kiters you can for me!..........perhaps a short note of thanks on your web site saying how much I appreciated it would help............ Anyhow I am very grateful to you for going to the trouble and effort of doing it. I am on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster at the moment, tomorrow I am going to have two more scans to try and see just how far the cancer has spread and in about a weeks time we will meet up with the chief consultant to hear what if anything they can do. In the meantime I just have to sweat it out.

When you get a minute any photos from the convention would be welcome. Keep your fingers crossed for me......... David

DavidFlyingSkyhawk.jpg

PHOTO OF DAVID at AKA convention in 2000

---------------------------

I plan on putting together a power point presention to send the David's wife Sue. It would be wonderful if David's friends could send me some photos og David's kites that they own. Action shots of the kites in the air, photo of flier's with David's kites and action shots of fliers having fun with David's kites, would be great!

A link to my e-mail... Con Engels

Thanks to all David Davies friends!

Con Engels

Awwwww, that's ~such~ a shame! :rainbowwave: I had no idea he was a WWII veteran as well. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends. I sincerely hope that his legacy continues through his kites. They are beautiful and mesmerizing to watch and I've always wanted to add one to my kitebag now that I'm flying quads. I'm sure he's earned his wings in heaven.