KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying in Portland, Oregon????

woodpekr

FYI

having worked in the Beaverton School District for more years than I care to remember the only way I know of to get acess to a school gym is to go through the local school committee of the actual school you would want to fly at .

Assuming there is an open night in the gym(after school sports, scouts ,school district meeting,etc ) you might be charged for anything from custodial time to heating and lighting(being an active school parent would really help your cause)

I assume this is basically the same procedure at most school districts

kitecrazy

We had a great spot for some time at a school, till the administration found out. Then the charge went up, or we went out. Uncertain. Here in WA. A school average $35-$55 from what I've checked. If you are a staff member you may get in free. If you have some strings to pull, that would be awesome. Make sure they are laser Pro Gold so they don't snap on you. :P

I can get my basketball court at my gym for about the same price all day.

You did hear the rumor Marc Ricketts is moving to OR? That ought to put a big boost in the indoor down there.

BB

Penny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

YES... Marc Ricketts lives in portland... NE if I remember. email him from his guildworks.com website. he should be back from the slushfest of Kites on Ice soon. his indoor routine should have been unfettered by the unseasonably warm conditions... rumor has it.

indoor at schools is tough unless you get someone on the inside. try offering to do a demo/assembly(contact the science, drama person, PTA) or even a half time show at the basketball game... that gets your foot in the door. It worked for us out in Arlington for the Up the River indoor Feb 5/6. Most school are very protective of their high school surfaces.. commons areas in newer schools work well...like the one in loncoln city.

A word of warning... the lighter kites need a "sealed" room... even the mostion of a small door will disrupt the flight of a wren or rev.

also contact john about indoor venues.. he is working with Marc to get it done.

captain chaos

• 2 months later...

How much room are we looking for? I spent some time last night in the multipurpose room at the church I attend in Clackamas (about 35' x 55', with probably a 25' ceiling), trying to get a Prism 3-D to cooperate. In order to keep from running into the wall on that short dimension I was probably running with about 8' lines, which had me rotating fast enough that I was getting dizzy. I'm guessing that we'd like something about 45' square at minimum, with enough ceiling space to keep from hitting it, and larger dimensions would always be welcome -- am I about on track?

Basketball courts are about 90' x 50', so the long dimension of the multipurpose room is about equivalent to the short dimension of what we're looking for. I have some friends at Clackamas High School -- maybe they'll let us in.

• 2 months later...

Just so y'all know I didn't forget you -- I did check with a friend who coaches at Clackamas High School, and we'd need to pay for a janitor to open, close, clean, handle lights and such, so that's probably not the workable solution we were hoping for.

Hmmm ... don't they build the Rose Festival floats in some of the warehouses near downtown? Now that the parade is history, does anybody know whether any of those warehouses might be available?

-- Paul

I need to find out how the indoor comp event in Portland area is coming along. Things are rapidly coming together for a big indoor comp at Ocean shores in Nov. and I would like to help in the scheduling.

I need to find out how the indoor comp event in Portland area is coming along. Things are rapidly coming together for a big indoor comp at Ocean shores in Nov. and I would like to help in the scheduling.

Seems so long ago that we were all at Deb and Ken's and Lam cooked dinner!! Yummmmm!!

We have a date that was presented to the School board...just haven't been able to 100% confirm it with them as yet. Hopefully, soon.

If the location is a go, it will be Nov 11, 12th and 13th. :blushing:

What date are you thinking of??

Thanks!

Theresa

• 4 months later...
Did we ever come up with an indoor practice venue in Portland?

I have a new indoor track I really need to practice with. B)

Well, not in Portland, but I think I have found us a place in Vancouver.

I just talked with the staff at The Marshall Center and it is possible to reserve gym space there.

It looks like it books up pretty fast though.

Right now, the only thing available is Thursday, January 11th from 5:30pm to 9pm.

The cost is $25 per hour. So......if we do 6-9pm, for 3 hours @ $75......we'd only need 7 1/2 bodies to cover the cost at $10 each. :)

Here's where it's located:

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recrea...ns/marshall.htm

What do you think?

I can call back and reserve it and pay for it, if enough folks are interested.

By the way John...this would be the Thursday right before we go to Long Beach on Friday. Good time for a warming up of the routine! :innocent:

T

Ah shucks....

I thought I found a good deal.

Most gym time rental rates we have inquired about want $$. The Deaf School around the corner from The Kite Shoppe is $6 an hour, but you have to reserve the janitor also, at $30 an hour with a minimum of 2 hours. That makes it $72 for 2 hours. B)

I'll keep looking........

T

OK....after further discussion here at The Kite Shoppe...... B)

We decided to go ahead and just reserve the space and pay for the use of the gym.

Where:

Marshall Center

Vancouver, WA

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks-recrea...ns/marshall.htm

Date:

Thursday, January 12th, 2006

Time:

7:30pm to 9pm

Bring Kites!!!

Please call The Kite Shoppe for more information, directions, questions...... 1-360-695-9646

Theresa