KiteLife Forum

Better Sliding and Tracking.

JoneZ

I've been testing out different bridle settings (cross active, tristar, etc...) and noticing considerable improvement in my ability to slide and track (mainly slide) with these adjustments. I think I've settled on a tristar active setup. Its helped a tonne with precision moves, while not hindering (and in some cases excelling) freestyle performance.

I've been reading about keeping a finger/thumb on ur lines while sliding, to make tiny adjustments to help keep the kite in a vertical position. This is something to get use to, and Im having a little trouble. It seems that I now have to adjust the way I use my hand straps. I typically use them with hands through the loops (except in light winds), but I am having trouble repositioning my hands to get my index finger on the straps tow point.

Is there a different way to make these small adjustments so I dont have to move my hands or adjust the way I use my straps? I mean, the precision is great with the tiny adjustments -- I can hold a slide for longer than 4-5 seconds now -- but I've tried to duplicate those tiny adjustments while holding onto the straps (instead of the 'what-Im-calling' "finger-point" method) with not too much success, and if I dont use the finger point method, I lose precision and the wind starts to rock and awe my kite, which causes me to make large adjustments resulting in mass frustration and an unhappy, muddy kite.

btw: holycrap 540 session in Oregon City this afternoon. I've got it 99% down pat now. :( You wouldnt think its that hard of a move, but I found the timing (mainly the snap) a bit tricky to get use to.

w00t? 360 style? Do elaborate!, and thanks for the input. :( Im heading out now to test out your advice.

getting into the stall position is something Im still working on grabbing 100%. The Widow is very responsive to snaps, so I tend to over snap it when arching in for a slide maneuver.

btw, is that an E2 or E3 on ur prof. pic? Whichever it is, Im drooling. I've always loved that kite. How's she fly?

lol you felt the pull yesterday on Widow! Insanely strong. I was already sweating from running forward!! lol I would have had to run 1/4 mile to 'try' to slide across the window. hehe

On another note -- that tristar active bridle setup works like a champ. :( Very happy indeed. :D Uploading a vid soon of my romp yesterday. Thanks for recording Shanobi. Another n00b kite vid on the roster. :( hehe. Maybe someday soon, I'll actually coordinate my moves to music instead of just toolin around the sky and matchin it up to some tunes. :D

E2 that one mate

Fly good and not to much pull, taught me more than the Quantum. The Sweety indoor kite flown outside and the 3D taught me much more ,slower,control and beating the wind even with non available.

As for the slide try

Fly from side to side left to right or right to left about 6` up , just before you reach the window edge a turn under until the nose points verticle be ready for the last quater turn up verticle this the time provide a little slack and then gather slack up when almost stalled more tension on the leading arm and start walking to the side of direction slide.

If sliding to the right the right arm is the lead

Having one arm higher , the side walk , turn speed and the secret of using the wind which is allready helping to move the kite BACK accross the window is KEY . Small inputs on the lines to control only

Try it,,, evntually you can tension both lines and slide all the way acrross and by the time your at the other side of the window hope you have enough speed momentum and tension to carry on,,,easier in lightest winds 1 , 2mph

Regards Simon , who get ` s a good way round before it all goes wrong :(:(:D:D

Thanks m8 :( I'll try that. I also knocked up a set of 30foot lines for those light wind days, when I can practice control. Having the kite closer will definitely help me in seeing how my kite reacts to tiny inputs.

~Jon

ya know, Im still not a member of that forum. Dunno why, just never joined. o.0 Maybe todays the day. :(

Have you watched the videos on fractured axel VF11 watch out for the guy with the desire ul and if you can follow the link on prism site DaveH hs some goooood advice on working and practice with short lines on his Blog site

So turns out Im not snapping the stall the right way. I was drivin a bus instead of bangin a drum with my hand motions. hehe Thanks to John B, I'm much more close to getting that stall. I never thought to actually listen to the sail for that pop.

Im thinking of retraining myself to hold my straps differently, as that snapping motion is much easier when you're holding the back of the straps with 3 fingers, instead of putting ur hands through the loops.

Thanks again John for the tips!

~Jon

I installed a leech line on my Widow this weekend, and now snap stalls are so much easier. I can shake the wind from the sails much better now it seems.

Thanks John again for the lessons -- I retrained myself this weekend to hold my straps differently (with 3 fingers, instead of wrapping the strap round my wrist), and thats working great for more snappy hand and wrist movements. ;)

~Jon

I installed a leech line on my Widow this weekend, and now snap stalls are so much easier. I can shake the wind from the sails much better now it seems.

Thanks John again for the lessons -- I retrained myself this weekend to hold my straps differently (with 3 fingers, instead of wrapping the strap round my wrist), and thats working great for more snappy hand and wrist movements. :)

~Jon

What's a leech line? What does it do? 3 fingers? Which three? And where? Gives you more control?

Leech line is that line (Cherry bomb has one) that runs the length of the trailing edge. It is nocked around the leading edge tensioner (the wing tips), and reduces the noise, and imo (but Im not sure) improves the flight characteristics.

3 fingers as opposed to looping:

Looping = sticking your hands through the handstraps and flying that way.

3 fingers = not looping ur hands through the straps, just putting ur first 3 fingers through them. -- easier to snap ur wrists. wrists have more snapability than your arms, if ya dig. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got my slides worked out. My biggest issue was dealing with the widows oversteer when I was coming around for the approach of the slide. I've been slowly reducing the weight of the Widow, and the oversteer is less and less now. I just replaced the wingtip nock ferrules with hollow core ferrules, and saved a few grams per side,, right at the wingtip,,, and that seemed to help quite a bit with setting the kite up for the slide (a lot less oversteer)

I can slide about 1/4 to 1/2 the window so far, and its one of the most fun tricks to pull off in my opinion. :blink:

~Jon