KiteLife Forum

Royal Canadian Moose Paratroopers

Progcraft

I complete my latest project on the weekend. But, the wind didn't co-operate so I didn't get to drop him.

Moose_Dropper_001_sm.jpg

Yes, it's a Moose wearing a RCMP coat and hat. On his back is the backpack and parachute I made.

He's attached to a device called a Messenger, which is in turn attached to a 1m tall/wide Eddy kite (as a Canadian Flag) which was also made by me.

I hope the wind picks up soon so I can try this puppy out. Although, preliminary tests yesterday lead me to believe that Sgt. Renfru is too heavy. So, I may end up makeing another Eddy lifter. The new one will be 2 meters by 2 meters.

Cheers,

P.

Moose_Dropper_021_sm.jpg

Yeah, he's a lot like me in the cute dept. :devil:

The front of the messenger:

Picture - front

I use a 1.5 inch steel ring tied into the flying line of the sky anchor as the 'stop' for the messenger.

The yellow tubing acts like bit of a shock and absorbs some of the force. When the messenger hits the steel ring, the wire is pushed down the tube.

This is the body of the messenger.

Picture - The Messenger

The yellow tubing is another shock, and it connects the plunger to the trigger.

When the wire is pushed through the tube (I call the wire a 'plunger'), it also pulls out the trigger. The trigger is threaded though the short tubes. Between the tubes is where the Moose hangs from. It's also where the bridle for the kite connects.

Since that picture, I've rebuilt the messenger. I switched to 2mm fiberglass for the plunger and trigger. And I replace the hangers with a much thinner, lighter aluminum rod. Overall weight savings was substantial. End result: after going up (empty) really, really fast, it wouldn't come back down :devil: Plus, the whole tubing system on the front was destroyed. So, I'm going to rebuild it again. Longer and heavier.

Ok, so, go here to see how to make it:

Anthony's Lifting Messenger (Experimental)

Now, I already know that Sgt Renfru is to heavy to send up the line with the Canuckian Eddy, so I'm going to go bigger. I might start with a double parasled design. I just need to figure out how to collapse the sail and make sure it does not get tangle in the anchor kites line.

Ok, I've babble enough.

P.

Very impressed with your description and layout. :devil: I think your entire page would make an awesome kitelife article. Very nicely done!!! :devil: Looks like I have a fun project to play with for the next couple weeks now, thanks!!! ^_^

Ummm, you mean the page with the plans for the messenger and kites? That's not my webpage. But feel free to send Anthony an email telling him you like it :clap;

P.