KiteLife Forum

Giant Bat seen near Malvern

Baloo

I know I have already said thank you to Derek for making me "The Batman sign" however yesterday was the first Day I have been able to take it out when the wind was suitable. As he said to me it is not a great flyer, however fly it does. It needs LOADS of drive, think in reality it needed about 9 to 12" longer on the bottom lines.

I am sure I can try to tune it, as he suggested it might need stronger rods, and it had a distict wobble to it. Still it FLEW, I am over the moon.

post-1363-1243165506_thumb.jpgpost-1363-1243165532_thumb.jpg

Apologies if the pictures are poor as they were taken on my phone.

There were quite a few folks pausing to look as it pondered around the sky.

From a VERY happy Bear.

Hey...what's his name on Kitebuilder? I think I helped with that kite using the pics from the old bat quad I have. Nice to see it flying!!!! Looks great. The old ones were not very good fliers at all...but they looked cool.

2738867110101380262S200x200Q85.jpg;)

Still it FLEW, I am over the moon.

hi happy bear over the moon ;)

wow,

pow

glad you finally got to fly your bat, looks fantastic,

must have given the locals a fright ;)

thanks for sharing your piccies :)

hope to see it IRL one day....

now there's an idea to really spook the locals, fly your bat towards a full moon at night ;)

Hey Skitch, I see where the idea for the green eyes came from now.

It was Wufer that made it for me. I know he asked quite a few questions on Kitebuilder. Same bloke as made the Rev~(alike) with the Indian chief on it.

The Bat as you say is not a good flier. Very ponderous and if it gets inverted just wants to drop out of the sky.

I seem to need to give it LOTS of drive to get it to fly.

Have you any bridle lengths that I might try to make it fly better?? And were these commercialy available kites or is yours home made too?? I was able to find some plans but asked Derek to make it bigger.

Hey Skitch, I see where the idea for the green eyes came from now.

It was Wufer that made it for me. I know he asked quite a few questions on Kitebuilder. Same bloke as made the Rev~(alike) with the Indian chief on it.

The Bat as you say is not a good flier. Very ponderous and if it gets inverted just wants to drop out of the sky.

I seem to need to give it LOTS of drive to get it to fly.

Have you any bridle lengths that I might try to make it fly better?? And were these commercialy available kites or is yours home made too?? I was able to find some plans but asked Derek to make it bigger.

YEP...it was commercially available quite a while ago. I lucked out and found a guy selling one. Mine needs a little work that I have yet to get around to. Nothing major and the kite is in great shape. I've heard people talk about trying to connect the wing tips to the head in order to keep it from flopping around so much. You might give that a try???

Here's an actual ad for the kite that was in Kitelines.

2378614490101380262S425x425Q85.jpg

Patrick

Cool, thanks for posting that Patrick.

The upper wing tips are already connected to the head so Wufer covered that for me already. Mine is quie big, about 9' or so across. Looks good in the sky.

If I all of a sudden find how to make it fly well I will drop you a line.

One thought I had was to ask Derek if he could sew some clear material across the top so that it presented a solid leading edge, however he has alreay gone out of his way for me, both in making it and delivering it for me.

I will see how I get on with bridle adjustments, if all else fails it might make a dual or SLK. At the moment it is hanging in the lounge.

What about a thin but strong spar across the top and bottom of the kite attached at each side to the uprights? Would take a little away from the look in the sky but would definitely stiffen things up. ????

That might also be wort a try.

Going to persevere with it as is at the moment.

Will let you know how I get on. Going to be a long process though. Looks good as a wall hanger, bit of a pain to transport.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Baloo....

Watch this and pay attention around 4:30 into it! I have never seen this version of the Skydancer kite but I bet it could inspire a few modifications to your bat kite that would allow it to fly better. Send it to Derek and let him see what he thinks. Probably have make another kite but if they flew well I bet he wouldn't mind having one for himself!

Check it out!

Patrick

That looks interesting Patrick, Wonder how it flew, I am sure it went OK if David made it as I have seen the Skydancers being flown and they look to go well.

I do think that is the leading edge was more similar to thwt one it would make a lot of difference.

Will mention it to Derek and see what he thinks.

Maybe he is following this thread?

• 2 weeks later...

Eyup Baloo. :)

Just seen this topic today.

Yes, SKITCH showed my a load of pics which were very helpfull when i made batty, especially the small details ;) .

Now then, i only flew batty a couple of times so i did'nt have time to sort it out :blushing: but from what i saw, it could do with a less bendy cross spar, and as you say, a lot less brake.

Also, if you stop the vid at 4.40, i think the kite has just a bridge connecting the two wings at the top. I dont think its got any ripstop inbetween? the wings and the head.

Whilst i cant do anything now as you have got batty, if you need anything to make it fly better, i have it all; just ask.

I have rods about the size of sle rods; i have connectors, and end caps to fit; white and light blue ripstop; dacron.

The only thing i dont have is the plastic tube to fit the cross, and down tubes.

So, if you need owt you can have it, just pay postage.

Sorry i cant be more help, but i hope you stick at it.

Derek.

PS. If you should try and convert it to single line, i could ask on kitebuilder, as to how to bridle the beast :P

Good of you to post Derek, and the kind offer for even MORE help.

I have it stood in my lounge at the moment. You can actualy see it when you pull up in the drive. Especially at night as there is a lighr behind it.

Certainly makes a bit of a talking point with visitors. If the plonk down too hard in the seat it sort of drifts down on them.

I think it would work better with a leading edge type spar, will try to experiment. Also look into getting som stronger rods for the centre spar.

Detemined to get it to fly beter. Looks super cool in the air. At the moment, luckily I am a bit busy to fly much. Got some time off in the Lake District and the New Forset soon so might take it with me. The only trouble is it takes a bit of stripping right down and back together again. Might have to wait till I have some time at home.

Eyup Patrick :)

Yes i did inform Baloo about the flying qualities of Batty, but he insisted in having it. Stubborn old bear :blushing:;) .

Baloo.

If all else fails, just have batty as a conversation piece on the wall :P .

Derek.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...