KiteLife Forum

Quad slack line tricks

Quaddict

I for one never learned any slack line stuff on dual line kites. I stopped flying dualies a while ago. However, I have tried watching someone perform dual line tricks, and bringing it over to a quad. Things such as the unrolling toss indoors have been successful.

I do believe that the general movements for an axel on a rev is quite similar to an axel on a dualie.

• Like 1

I don't really see that much crossover from dual to quad other than the experience you gain from the wind and overall control of the kite in the different wind conditions. Even the Axle is very different from quad to dual other than the abrupt tug on the line to initiate the rotation.

I tend to compare the two against each other the same as comparing an off road truck race to that of a NASCAR race. Sure you drive in both and some drivers have commented on how their off road or dirt track experience has helped them in the NASCAR style of driving but overall, they are very different types of racing from each other and knowing how to do one does not in any way make you an expert in the other. I feel this to be the same between Dual and Quad. There may be some knowledge gained from both that can cross over to the other but in most cases, they are very different and not compatible. Knowing how to fly Quad will not make you an expert or even somewhat skilled on slack line flying on a Dually. It may however help you progress in dual slack line flying faster because of your knowledge of the wind and overall kite control....but that's about it. There are tons more tricks that you can do with a Dually than a Quad - or that aren't even possible on a Quad. Not that one is better than the other, they're just different style of flying - just like off road racing and track style racing.

Just my opinion anyways...

With due respect Kent, the major compliment for me is in relation to using all available sail area, angle of sail to wind, etc.

Bear in mind, one of the inspirations for the axel was a bicycle rotation on the Rev. ;)

It's helped me immensely in light winds, and with my understanding of slack line tricks.

==

FYI, was doing double axels to flic flac yesterday... On a Rev. :)

I still think they're complimentary, but yes, VERY different ultimately.

With due respect Kent, the major compliment for me is in relation to using all available sail area, angle of sail to wind, etc.

Bear in mind, one of the inspirations for the axel was a bicycle rotation on the Rev. ;)

It's helped me immensely in light winds, and with my understanding of slack line tricks.

==

FYI, was doing double axels to flic flac yesterday... On a Rev. :)

I still think they're complimentary, but yes, VERY different ultimately.

Wow !!Double axle to a flic flac ! Nice !! Gotta give that one a try.

Now does the LE have to face up once pulled out of the axle for the flic flac ?

Or can the flic flac be performed after the axle from any of the other quarter turn clockwork positions ?

I find the easiest entry to a Rev axel is inverted, or partially sideways (like in a slide)... The last axel rotation comes up a tiny bit short of facing upright, I give it a little extra to finish the rotation, set my line tension, then flic flac.

There's a chance I got some video of it, will see what I've got real soon and post it.

I find the easiest entry to a Rev axel is inverted, or partially sideways (like in a slide)... The last axel rotation comes up a tiny bit short of facing upright, I give it a little extra to finish the rotation, set my line tension, then flic flac.

There's a chance I got some video of it, will see what I've got real soon and post it.

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for the video.

Hoping to work on it today (provided there's any good footage), stay tuned. ;)

Just saw the video on YouTube!!! All i got to say is..... SICK!!!!!!!!!!! oh , and THANKS for putting the vid up !!!!!!!!

Even the Axle is very different from quad to dual other than the abrupt tug on the line to initiate the rotation.

Yes an axel on a rev is a quite different hand motion than on a dual line. However the hand motion a rev axel is very similar to a flat spin 540 on a dual ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't really see that much crossover from dual to quad other than the experience you gain from the wind and overall control of the kite in the different wind conditions. Even the Axle is very different from quad to dual other than the abrupt tug on the line to initiate the rotation.

I tend to compare the two against each other the same as comparing an off road truck race to that of a NASCAR race. Sure you drive in both and some drivers have commented on how their off road or dirt track experience has helped them in the NASCAR style of driving but overall, they are very different types of racing from each other and knowing how to do one does not in any way make you an expert in the other. I feel this to be the same between Dual and Quad. There may be some knowledge gained from both that can cross over to the other but in most cases, they are very different and not compatible. Knowing how to fly Quad will not make you an expert or even somewhat skilled on slack line flying on a Dually. It may however help you progress in dual slack line flying faster because of your knowledge of the wind and overall kite control....but that's about it. There are tons more tricks that you can do with a Dually than a Quad - or that aren't even possible on a Quad. Not that one is better than the other, they're just different style of flying - just like off road racing and track style racing.

Just my opinion anyways...

I would go one step further back and recommend that all kite fliers take time out to learn how to fly single line fighter kites.

I believe that this will comprehensively inform two or four line flying...

I remember doing a stalled turn in the Euro Cup a long time ago. It is all about very basic principles...

Felix

Yeah!!!....Another one of JB's bazzzarly imposible "computer simulations" of a guy supposively flying a quad! ;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

You just got it Duane. Just watched it carefully and I can see. No one can be so accurate in real. Also explains the phenomonmomnomen of Sevie D being able to fly 2 Revs at once. now we all konow that is just impossible.

And I recon JB is actually a Hollogram. Come to think of it when iQuad were here in the UK it looked like there was a big "green screen" up there and all the "action" was being projected.

(BIG Grin)

Oh and Felix, I am just getting my head around a kite with 4 lines that I can make go up down left right spin etc. and now you are suggesting it might be a good idea if I try to do the same with a SINGLE line kite. <grin>