Thirdcoast Kiteman

HQ Tango

15 posts in this topic

The Tango by HQ is a very good light-wind kite. Rated 1-18mph, you need a bit more wind than 1mph without bridle adjustments. In winds above 10mph, the Tango generates more speed than pull, and is very quick and responsive. The frame is very light and sturdy with carbon construction, and though I've never crashed it (hard), I think it would withstand a fair bit of abuse from a beginner pilot. As such, I think it would make a good beginner kite, allowing for flying in lighter wind - reducing frustration. The Tango is a Ready-to-Fly kite that comes with 2x65ft (55lb.) Dyneema lines and straps. It is available in 2 colors - Fire and Ice. It's a fun kite to fly in light to moderate winds and is a good value for entry-level pilots and above.

Create Custom T-Shirts

I agree, the Tango can deliver some great fun when the wind is too low for the other (standard) kites in your bag. It is low priced, and very good value.

post-3250-124763282065_thumb.jpgpost-3250-124763284052_thumb.jpg

I agree, the Tango can deliver some great fun when the wind is too low for the other (standard) kites in your bag. It is low priced, and very good value.

post-3250-124763282065_thumb.jpgpost-3250-124763284052_thumb.jpg

Hi, just joined this forum and am totally new to the sport. Bought my first kite last month and it was a Tango from HQ. I mainly bought it for its light wind capabilities and did not have any thoughts of being a trick pilot. After having looked at some videos i got more interested in tricks and i have tried to do some with the Tango, so far without any luck. What tricks should i be able to perform with this kite if any?

Ive been looking for a second kite already and i have thought of the Prism E3. I live in sweden and there are not that many shops and they only have Prism and HQ kites so i will have to go look for shops in other countries to find other brands. Ive read about Level one, Benson, Premier and Newtech but its a real djungle out there. Any suggestions for a Kite that i can both perform tricks with and still use for some precision flying. Is the E3 a good choice?

Best regards

Johan

If your local shop carries HQ and Prism you have some very nice kites at your disposal. The E3 from Prism is a great tricking kite, a huge improvement over the E2. We have been flying the E3 for quite a while now and really love it.

If you want to step it up a little in quality and performance, take a look at the new Infinity from HQ. This kite is incredible!!! I am totally impressed with this kite. It tricks exceptionally well and can do pretty much anything that I can throw at it and it does it with excellent precision. It also has a ton of adjust ability built into the kite and the quality and materials are wonderful. Full Icarex sail, wrapped tapered carbon frame, Yo-Yo stoppers installed, adjustable tail weight, adjustable leach line.....as good as many of the high end kites on the market. Available in standard and vented models.

Talk to your local retailer and see if they have either the E3 or the Infinity for you to demo. I think you will be more than surprised at just how good those kites are.

post-162-125202022199_thumb.jpgpost-162-125202034613_thumb.jpgpost-162-125202036006_thumb.jpg

Infinity standard and vented.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your suggestions, i found the infinity and it really seems to be a wonderful kite to trick with (according to the manufacturers texts). Have not found similar promotional text for the E3. If you compare the two kites from your experience, do you have any pros and cons regarding different trickabilities and precision between the two or are they likeworthy in all aspects?

Looking at wind tolerance the E3 states 5-40km/h compared to then Infinity's 8-28 km/h so, 1-0 for the E3 on that point. What is your experience of wind tolerance?( The numbers might lie to you ;))

Best regards

Johan

Just from experience, I have never been able to fully rely on manufacturers claims of rated wind ranges for their kites.

The thing I try to tell people is that there are actually two ways to fly - one way is blissful and a ton of fun, the other way is what has been referred to as "Survival Mode" where 'yes' the kite is actually flying but are you really having any fun at it?? There's a video floating around of someone flying a Thor's Hammer indoors (Thors Hammer - 14 ft. wingspan, weighs about 4 pounds), does that mean that the Thors Hammer is a good SUL or even Indoor kite? Hardly not! That just means that the pilot is either extremely talented at indoor flying or is seriously working his butt off ... or both!!! But a Manufacturer could honestly say that a Thors Hammer CAN fly in winds from 0 mph to 22 mph - making it one of the largest wind ranges of any kite out.

Manufacturers work from sales - sales and marketing tries to put the minimum and maximum possible to help market he products. The stated wind ranges are exactly that - stated. If the kite went up in the air in 20 mph winds and didn't explode the second it went up...well - it will fly in 20 mph winds. If you can work the kite hard, do a little running and get it to barely float for at least a second in 3 mph then thats what it is stated at.....so you get a wind range of 3 mph to 20 mph. I have a ton of kites that are listed as being able to fly in 15 - 18 mph winds but would never dream of taking them out in winds over 12. I also have a lot of kites that state 2-3 mph for the bottom end but will put them away and pull out a UL or SUL when the winds drop to around 5ish.

So I always recommend taking stated wind ranges with a huge grain of salt. Usually (for a standard model kite) if you take about 4-5 mph off of the top end and add 2-3 mph on the bottom end you will be pretty close. :)

That being said, the E3 starts flying pretty decent for me around 5-6 mph and max about 15 mph. Tricks and fun start to dwindle around 10-12 mph. The Infinity standard starts to fly nicely around 3-4 mph range with tricks and max about 15 mph. Tricks can be perfromed from appx. 4 mph to 12 without to much work.

Between the two, I would definately favor the Infinity over the E3. IMO, the Infinity is nicer to trick with and does more tricks easier. It is also a 100% Icarex sail with wrapped tapered rods, has massive amounts of adjustability in it, nicer tail weight system, leach line and comes in both a Standard and Vented model. The Infinity Standard also flies in a lighter wind than the E3 (but this is more dependant on pilots ability than the actual kite) You will pay a little more for the Infinity than the E3 though and you would need to purchase a lineset with the Infinity. :)

The perks for the E3 is it is a little less money than the Infinity, comes with lines & handles and comes with the Freestyle Pilot DVD.

MSRP on both kites

Infinity Standard $218.00

Infinity Vented $238.00

Prism E3 $179.00

Hope that helps. :)

Thank you, that was exactly what i needed to hear. Based on your experience Infinity is the clear winner and the one I probably go with. But the size is a bit frightening. Is there any alternative kite with a wingspan around 2.0 meters, performing alike or near the infinity, or is there a severe tradeoff in performance going down almost half a meter.

Maybee HQ Jive is an alternative. What im really after is a kite that performs tricks with ease and style/precision and still possible to have fun with when not performing tricks.

I think Im more into axels and variations of that than im into YoYos but if a kite does it all it okay with me:-)

Best regards

Johan

I wouldn't get to intimidated by the size. Personally I find the larger kites are easier to fly than the smaller ones. The smaller wings usually take more wind to fly and are much less forgiving when trying to learn new tricks. We have taught tons of new pilots on these size kites and find they are easiest for them to learn on. The larger kites rotate a tad bit slower and seem to be much easier to recover from than the smaller more radical kites.

The dual line kites are not usually designed for a lot of pull, so unless you are going to be flying in winds above the 18 mph mark, even the larger sized kites will feel quite light on the lines to fly.

With your hesitation on purchasing a full sail kite in the 6 to 7 foot mark (2.3 and 2.5 range), I would still recommend the larger over the smaller. It may seem intimidating but in the end I think you will be glad that is the size you purchased....plus that Infinity is such an awesome kite. :)

Thanks!

I looked at the Jive and found that they state, 2-5 Bft. (6-38 km/h, 4-24 mph) and for Infinity 2-4 Bft. (8-28 km/h l 5-18 mph) but as we have been on to previously, thats just numbers. Normal winds where i live is between 1-8m/s, at least the last month, so it would be in range. And the important thing is which one is the most fun to fly. I hope the tricks are just around the corner. What tricks, top 5, is best to start with for me as a beginner?

By the way is there any videos of the infinity in flight on the internet. Have just found a 16 second long one saying me nothing about its abilities. Nice to see how it should look with this particular kite when i get it right:-)

Best regards

Johan

I thought this thread was about the HQ Tango. I think that we have gotten off track.

Yes, it seems that we have gotten way off track. Sorry for that.

UP DATED July 5th

My BIGGEST THINGS ABOUT THE E 3

The Final Write UP: Below

So "FIRST and FOREMOST," This write up is NOT for the Beginner. What I'm going to suggest should only be done by a qualified modification kite shop or pro pilot.

I am a COMPETITION QUALIFIED PILOT purposely tweaking and getting all the performance out of this E 3 Kite that I possibly can!!!

Here's my E3 modification:

After reading this Posting and a Few others Before I flew My kite the first time. I had gone through the kite in the shop with a fine tooth comb. Realized a couple minor things I knew I would end up changing right away. I had my Friend fly a bit and sure enough we moved a few things around to SUIT the winds in the Ventura AREA. Kite flew well but was a bit too touchy at first in the high winds.

Moved the Upper bridal connection BELOW the top spreader connection, and the kite settled right in. Lowered the High wind Knot about 1.5 inches to slow the kite down. I had already moved it .5 inches lower in the shop. The KITE flew JUST FINE and was NOT Squirrely at all with the trim set this low and OUT!!!

For the Light wind days we Moved the Light wind knot Up just more than 3/8 of a Inch. We then added one extra hole inboard for the light wind set up for the stand out. Allowing the kite to fly in the 4MPH winds, short 50Lb lines with a bit of work. However this kite is still a bit heavy to have out there.

Hit the ground a few times and could see the weakness here and there in the kite. I have re-enforced the center spreaders on my E 3 the same way most people have on the E 2s. All in all a Great kite out of the Bag and with Little bridal adjustmnents it does better in handling etc.

I will also be making a second standout 1/?" shorter than the main one to add to the kite, same as so many have to the E 2, to see if the kite will trick better as well as roll up or track with less heavy handed turning. To come later in my next posting and fallow up writing.

There are a LOT of write ups Critiquing this kite on the net and not giving it great ratings. IT is a Beginner / Intermediate Kite that is the FIRST real stunt Kite for the Beginner who is usually Heavier Handed. Does not fly with Finger Tips etc. KEEP that in mind. IT is Not a Q Pro, or a Deep Space, it is an E 3!!! Period. It makes Great slow cordinated turns and flys stright and will suit any beginners needs as well as any intermediate out there.

It is a Fabulous Kite that I got to Tweak a bit as another person flew. I cant wait to get my Hands on it after my injury Heals Up a bit and fly it myself. THANK YOU AGAIN SLOW PRO for the time of flying my Kites and helping me out for the Day.

Part 2 Sept 8th

The center spreaders were re-enforced with Epoxy, Two wraps of Fiberglass Tape, One wrap in each direction for the tapes ply, 3/8th inches longer than the other. Heat Shrink Tape 3/8ths longer than the tape. To strengthen the Center Pin area as well, I added a Second Stand Off. To create a nice channel flow like the Q Pro and helps in the tricking and sail tention.

The Bridle was lengthened as far OUT from the Center "T" as possible by moving the knot to the extreme Bottom of the center Bridal Line. That took the tow point out about 1/4 of a Inch at the Center T.

The "Second" stand-out is now just under 1/8th inch shorter than the Main one. Not Quite 3/16ths though. To make the Second Stand-out, I used .118 solid carbon for the inner new stand off and the original is the one I cut down. So the weaker stand-off will flex a tiny bit in the sail that is tight as can be when it's all said and done.

This brought the kite into a much better sail tension as well as adding to the Tricking factor over all. The Kite easily stays in a Fade now and does not have a tendency to want to Nose out.

The Batten Is turned IN and placed on the Inside of the sail during set-up and flying as some of the Top Pilots I Know have come to do. This reduces one less line catching place along the kites back side. The Batten is also "CURVED" so the Point is Down towards the tip. Just look at it, It will make since easy enough.

I also have had to tighten the sail's tension at the wing tip's. My knots were moved in more than 1/8th of a inch. ALWAYS REMEMBER to tension your Tips before you put your stand-offs in. I also place my outer knot inside my sails leading edge so there is no place to catch a line on a tip.

Bridle movements: I moved the Upper Bridle below the top spreader connector. It is above the heat shrink on the leading edge. It helped when the kite is on its Back a Lot. Much easier as a whole to maintain the fade and back spins. However I have Broken my KEEL with my bridal mod's in flight doing the Comet...

With the Kite disassembled, at the lower spreader connector,The Lower Bridle is Moved UP to between the Lower spreader and the Batten holder. Remove the Lower Spreder APA fitting and Double wrap the leading edge with the Bridal. Just be sure to have the wrap come out the BOTTOM or Top on Both sides. Do this to both leading edges.

Now, your bridle tow point is moved outward approximately 1. to 1.2 inches. Depending on the amount of slack in the inboard movement from the Original factory set up, this movement of the tow point decreases the turn radius. This improves the sharpness of the response time to the lines and your hands.

The 15gram tail weight must be set at 1/2 to 1/4 inch above the Velcro or the tail sags too deep in a Fade to do easy Back spins. As the spin slowed down the tail would SAG too much, loosing the fade and all. I Personally suggest you play with your setting and see where "YOUR E 3 Kite" likes to sit simi-flat or just 1/2" tail down in a Fade position. Remember no more or the Back spin get tougher to do.

I hope this helps all who seek to tweak-out their E 3 kite.If you tweak-out your E 3, please let me hear from you. Have just as much fun as Always, Remember to Fly SAFE and keep those kites a Flippin'!

Fast Eddy

1 person likes this

Eddy, why have you posted about the E3 in an HQ Tango thread?

Tell me where it should go (instead), or I'll look to pull it.

Ok, going back to the HQ Tango thread. I bought a Tango shortly after I started flying as I live inland and winds are often light. It’s a good little kite, well built ( as most HQ’s are) and looks good in the sky. I think the lower end of the stated wind range – 1mph – is probably a bit ambitious in anything other than perfect coastal breeze’s – I would say it has an honest bottom end of 2-3mph in genuine inland conditions. It will certainly take the 18mph top end, the higher the wind goes the faster it gets and it even generates a reasonable amount of pull for such a small kite – it’s great fun on a windy day!. It’s also very durable considering the fact that it’s fairly lightly built. I’ve never broken anything on mine, even after high speed crashes – occasionally a spreader has popped out of the LE fitting, but it has never broken. It tends to bounce rather than break.

Unfortunately, probably because of the light build, it’s not a particularly good kite for learning tricks – especially for beginners. It can trick, but it’s not very easy. It will do axels, backflips, fades and , with a bit of weight on the tail, flic-flacks just about. It takes some persuading to do tricks and I think a beginner would soon get frustrated.

To sum it up, it’s a great little fun kite providing you don’t want to get into tricks. If you do want to start doing tricks, get the HQ Jive – it will fly in winds almost as low as the Tango ( I was still flying mine in 2-3 mph the other day) but will do almost any trick in the book – it’s a very underrated kite for the money.