KiteLife Forum

Trainer Kites

Thirdcoast Kiteman

When I first started kiteboarding, beginning with a trainer kite was really helpful. Though I had been flying kites for years, I was a bit aprehensive about bar controls, depowering, and relaunching. Most schools/instructors will start you with a trainer. They are from 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the kite you will be using to board with, but they still can generate a heap of power! The kite I started with was the Hydra 300. It's a foil kite made by HQ Kites and is a bit different from other foils in that it's a closed cell design; that allows for relaunches if crashed in the water (which was one area I was concerned about...what if I crash in the water, can I successfully relaunch?) Relaunching was accomplished by pulling on the center depower line, and that too required a small amount of practice...you can reverse lanuch (kite nose down)...once you've tried it a few times, you get it, and it's pretty easy...considering how many times I've crashed that kite on land and water, it's really nice being able to pull a center line, the kite rises, turns, you let go of the center line, and it takes off again. Playing with the Depower line was helpful too, if you get into trouble with a wind gust or lose control, you want to know what will happen in an emergency before you have a 7m kite over you. The last thing that was an adjustment was the turning speed...I was used to lightning turns from stunt kites, but kiteboard/trainer kite is a bit slower, and you have to anticipate your turn rate when your near the ground.

Using a trainer was really, really helpful in gaining confidence with the kite (knowing I could control it, launch and land, and not get blown out to sea!), and even when you move on to a full size kite for boarding, they are still a lot of fun. We use ours for body-drags around the lake, and for body surfing waves, when the conditions are good, or even for kiting on land with roller-blades or all-terrain boards.

• 9 months later...

I have used so many trainer kites over the last few years, went though many manufacturers and models and eventually stuck with the flexifoil buzz and sting as they fly really well even in very light winds due to the fat profile and huge air inlets. Also they dont have holes in the cell walls so no weak points to tear which is where all teh otehr kites failed on. They have some cell wall holes near the end of the wingtips but these have re-enforcements, I have yet to have any of these kites die on me.

I know you guys are talking about power kites, however I did it the other way.

When I first tried flying a Rev quad line from a Dual delta I could not work out how the handles needed using properly.

I bought myself a Sting, which I agree is a fantastic kite.

This allowed me to fly slower and to learn the basic quad line control. Once I had that down it was much easier to go back to the Rev and make it fly how I wanted it. (well sort of)

Incidentaly, I had a 3.6 Waterfoil, dragged me on my face across a VERY muddy field :) not much fun at the time, funny now though. Soon got rid of that, I will stick to my nice little kites if you dont mind.

Do enjoy watching the power fliers though, especialy on the water. I like to think that with age comes common sense. Actualy I think it is now that I am older it will take longer for broken bones to heal. (OK I am a bit scared too :D )

... Do enjoy watching the power fliers though, especialy on the water. ...

In the Midwest (USA) it's hard to find enough room for power kites and buggies ... thus, only one kite flier in IKE with a power kite/buggy setup. It only gets out about once a year and looks like more work than fun. And on water, well they seem to get lost in with the sailboats. Plus, if I'm on a beach then the Revs are out! So, power kites have never drawn my interest. However, last winter by brother-in-law and I watched three power kite users out on the ice with six inches or so of powder. That looked like a real blast. Lots of open space, lots of clothing (padding), rooster tails of powder, and an off-season use for kites.

-tom

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I like to think that with age comes common sense. Actualy I think it is now that I am older it will take longer for broken bones to heal. (OK I am a bit scared too :lol: )

Nailed it.

I ordered a symphony 2.2 trainer but i doubt ill go bigger. I was hesitant at first, but for the price, 100 or so buck for a foil strong enough to pull me across grass in gusts, would be more than sufficient to satisfy my desire for a stronger pull, but nothing to pick me up. I too like in the midwest USA (Misouri) and there isnt smooth wind here. Mainly the reason for justifing the expense of getting a zen to put in my bag (along with a Pro B Std, HQ bolero2, GFAK Hurricane 84", and symphony 1.3)

Don't be so quick to dismiss powerkites. I got an Ozone Oure 4m to try out kiteboarding. Powerkites aren't that much different from the smaller foils. If you know how the kites react t othe wind and how to use it in the wind window for directional change it'll be ok. I've tested it out a few times without the kiteboard and am feeling more comfortable with the kite. When he weather cools and the winds pick up I am looking forward to getting on the borad and riding across some fields slowly to begin.