KiteLife Forum

Poly/Spectra Line for Bridle?

JoneZ

I've got this polyester braided 140# spectra line (thanks Duane), and I was thinking of making a bridle out of it, as it is way lighter than my widows factory bridle, and only 10# weaker (fair trade off imo).

I was wondering if anyone has done this. Pro's and Cons?

~Jon

Hi Jon,

I hate this computer stuff...I just wrote a really good reply, which took a long time, and "POOF" it all disapeared somehow!!

Anyway to sum up what I said...I don't know much, but with the "blue" line I could feel friction in the line that the normal spectra didn't have, but it is very strong and thin so I think it would really be good to make bridle line out of. Had I thought of it I wouldn't have sent it off to you, but don't send it back! :)

And I mentioned that anyone new should make up there own line sets...it's really easy to do and the cost savings is really worth it, A couple store bought line sets can cost as much as your kite!! :wacko:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi Jon,

I hate this computer stuff...I just wrote a really good reply, which took a long time, and "POOF" it all disapeared somehow!!

Anyway to sum up what I said...I don't know much, but with the "blue" line I could feel friction in the line that the normal spectra didn't have, but it is very strong and thin so I think it would really be good to make bridle line out of. Had I thought of it I wouldn't have sent it off to you, but don't send it back! :)

And I mentioned that anyone new should make up there own line sets...it's really easy to do and the cost savings is really worth it, A couple store bought line sets can cost as much as your kite!! :)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Aha!

There's a decent use for that "blue stuff". I personally don't like it - the braiding makes the lines feel "notchy" when they are wrapped just a few times.

I got it at bargain 1/2 price, but since I'd rather not use it for line-sets, it was not a great bargain.

Just a personal opinion - I'm sure other people have different opinions. :wacko:

Right. :) It basically feels like 50# spectra when its wrapped a few times. lol

It's funny how the universe works -- just as I was unwinding the blueberry's, getting ready to make a bridle for my widow, you had posted this. lol

The planets are aligning. :wacko:

-cheers m8 :)

~Jon

Pure spectra isn't real good for making bridles - too slippery. Any place on the bridle where there's a prussik or lark's head knot, it's liable to slip around when you don't want to. It doesn't hold knots very well either.

The original post mentions a spectra/polyester blend, which works pretty well. I've used it on a few SULs.

Neither has the abrasion resistance that real bridle line has, which can be a problem. Bridle line usually has a spectra core for strength, and a polyester woven wrap for abbrasion resistance.

Even the Poly blend is still prone to slipping with prussiks. If the tow point is made from the same material as the bridle (ie. spectra/poly) that greatly reduces the slippage from the prussik.

I've had to tie double overhand knots for all of my pull tabs, and 2 single overhand knots to make my loops for the bridles end sections.

Just finished it last night. Going to stretch it out after work today (yeay!! I have work!). I think Im going to have to re-enforce my lower spreaders where the line will rub.

Hmm. One of my tow points was sliding all over the place and actually broke at the prussik point today! So I've shelved that bridle for now, until I can find out something to use for a tow point that wont slip. I've thought about tying an overhand knot on either side of the tow point on the outahul line, but that would comprimise the strength of the outhaul line itself.

Any suggestions?