KiteLife Forum

Advice on second Rev

Hedgewarden

Folks, all experts:

Well, anyone more experienced than I...

I broke down and bought a Rev EXP at Lincoln City this year. Great price with the show discount - could not pass it up. Now there are several factors pushing me to buy my second Rev. This is my first Rev experience, although I have a few hours on my Spirit Quad.

1. I love the way the EXP flies in above 8 mph winds. Below that (6 mph maybe?), it doesn't want to play with me.

2. I managed several acceptably smooth circles today, and some nice sideways hovers - in bumpy winds around 13-16 mph. We're down to see WSIKF 2009 this week - but using time between the "must see" events to fly around Ocean Park.

3. There is an appealing eBay lot for an 1.5 SUL. Obviously the 1.5 is a step up from the EXP. And it should fill the lower wind speed gap. Maybe?

Sure - buy the B series pro with race frames to get everything. But let's talk bang-for-buck for a novice quad flier. I can use the handles and line set from the EXP for the 1.5 SUL to get started. I can add (say) 50# line set later to stretch a little lower. And some day when I can fly better than the EXP (if that ever happens!), we can get the serious B kites.

So, thoughts on a beginner's stable of EXP plus 1.5 SUL?

Hey, thanks in advance guys (incl. gals - love everything I've seen you do, Penny and Amy!).

Well if you want a kite for lower wind go for a Rev 1, maybe a Sedgwick.

If you want one for lumpy gusty wind of course you want a Vented.

You could get a lighter Rod Set for your EXP, an exelent starter Rev BTW.

Honest answer, if you are going to WSIKF, try as many Revs as you can get your hands on, I am sure there will be plenty of folks there that can offer you better advice than me.

I wish I was going there.

We're down to see WSIKF 2009 this week - but using time between the "must see" events to fly around Ocean Park.

Hi,

sounds like you are heading to the right festival with a high concentration of experienced rev flyers to help you out with your decision making :blink:

They'll be flying the latest light wind rev too... but I'm guessing the "Zen" is going to be more expensive than the other light wind rev options and of course it is a completely different kite being larger than a 1.5. (more discussion over on the rev forum).

Some use the 1.5 SUL.

Others get by (me included) with a 1.5 standard B sail + race rods using light wind techniques.

No getting away from the addiction, always on the quest to keep on flying in the light wind :)

Good luck....

Howard,

Baloo gave you the best advice ... try as many different kites at WSIKF as you can. I"m still amazed at how quickly someone will let you fly their prized kite if you simply ask. Flying the different kites will tell you more about what you need than any advice from the rest of us.

Since you fly dual line kites a lot, you already know that the average wind speed in YOUR area will affect what you have in your kite bag. The Washington DC fliers don't own many vented kites. And some of the British fliers don't own many non-vented kites ... in fact, Big Bri owns a mega-vented Rev and Jonesy owns a kite that has so little material that it would make a Victoria Secrets model blush.

If the winds are generally very low, the SUL will be a good addition. If you have many days were the winds are high, then your next kite might be better in the vented category. Baloo is right that a Rev 1 will fly better in the lower winds, but the advantage of staying with a 1.5 size (EXP, SLE, SUL, B-series, Pro, etc) and the 1/4 inch frames is that the frame sets are interchangeable and add to the wind/kite match up possibilities.

The ultimate low wind combo is almost any lighter Rev and experience!!! I'm fairly new to flying Revs, so the low wind learning curve is quite steep. The more I fly/practice, the better all my kites get in flying in lower the winds. I knew they had it in them ...

Welcome to four lines ... and be very care full of the drug kite pushers in the quad world.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

The WA beach is throwing a lot of 20 mph+ winds, and 4 mph- winds at us. At home, we are lucky to get any wind that isn't just plain crazy (swirly, lumpy, and frequently fading to zero.) Right now, a SUL would get more use than a vented, I think.

Actually, on my first really good day with the EXP (two days ago) - I executed several large smooth-ish circles. I checked the wind afterward and it was 14 to 18 mph - exceeding the EXP's rated 15 mph. :blink: Winds of 6 mph and less leave me completely frustrated. That is why the SUL seems attractive as the next step - and not as expensive as a B with race frames. I don't need to replace the EXP as long as it flies better than the pilot.

Today at WSIKF the wind varied from almost non-existent to a 2 hour moderately heavy back to almost none. I-Quad, of course, still put on an impressive show - but I don't know which models they were using, they did not look like B's, unless they are a new design.

I'll corner JB on the field and make him lend me his kite. (just kidding!)

If the winds are low again tomorrow, I'll try to approach some of the fliers.

Howard, dont joke about cornering JB or any of the iQuad crowd, go and DO it. Unless they are REAL busy they will give you time.

Go and see Ben from Rev, I am sure he will help you out.

You could probably walk up to anyone who is actually flying a Rev they own and they will happily give you a go on the handles. Dont forget some of the folks who are flying Revs will be doing exactly what you should be doing, getting the cance to talk with folks who know more than thaey do. And trying out different Revs.

And yes, there is a new Rev on the way out, specially designed for light wind work.

As I think I said B4, the cheapest way to get a lighter wind Rev is get another rod set for your EXP, I am fairly sure a Race set would fit it fine.

Mate if you come away from the Fest without at least talking to JB, iQuad, Ben, Watty and SO many other folks you will have missed a BIG oppertunity. GO for it my friend. You will not regret it.

... At home, we are lucky to get any wind that isn't just plain crazy (swirly, lumpy, and frequently fading to zero.) Right now, a SUL would get more use than a vented, I think.

... checked the wind afterward and it was 14 to 18 mph - exceeding the EXP's rated 15 mph.

... Winds of 6 mph and less leave me completely frustrated. That is why the SUL seems attractive as the next step - and not as expensive as a B with race frames.

... I don't need to replace the EXP as long as it flies better than the pilot.

... I-Quad, of course, still put on an impressive show - but I don't know which models they were using, they did not look like B's, unless they are a new design.

... I'll corner JB on the field and make him lend me his kite. (just kidding!) If the winds are low again tomorrow, I'll try to approach some of the fliers.

Howard,

Sounds like you're on the right track with buying an SUL next. It won't cut the flyable wind speed in half, but will be a good step in the right direction. I've seen folks fly all manner of Rev kites way over their recommended wind range. If you're careful and don't horse them around, they'll fly well above the recommended wind speed. It's just that some of the fun goes out of flying them in higher and higher wind speeds. Venting helps calm the higher winds and soften the gusts, but even they stop being fun after the winds get too high.

Low wind speeds frustrate all of us. With practice, you can lower the wind speed at which frustration starts. I watched Ben flying well in low speed and thought he was using a secret kite. So, I had him land and let me try his kite ... same kite, same winds, stood in the same spot ... yep, the results were terrible. Damn, it's just plain practice!!!

All Rev kites can fly better than their pilots ... end of story!!!

iQuad is using a prototype kite ... it has the size of a Rev 1 and the proportions and layout of a B-series ... probably includes a prototype frame set also. The bigger kites fly better in lower winds ... they are also slower.

Please do not miss this opportunity to meet JB and some of the other folks. All of them are very approachable, friendly and willing to go out of their way to help with your Rev addiction. Well, Ben does growl a little, but so do kittens at first. Ask them about flying in low winds ... or about reversing up the wind window ... or about clock work. You'll take months off the learning curve with one simple question. Oh yes, tell John your forum name ... that will put a face with a name.

Good luck,

Tom

Okay, okay... and thanks for all the advice.

Watched the mega-fly in the morning - 30 kites or so. No, I am not going to join them - with my less than novice skills, there would only be 15 kites remaining after my out-of-control maneuvers. Maybe after my second 4 hours of flight time, I could be the odd EXP in the batch of B's and Zens. :blink:

JB was too busy - almost got a chance to say hi.

Ben was very helpful. Seconded the idea of race frame, and shared a tip or two.

Thanks also to Dave Bradley, and a few others whose names I missed.

And of course the local "drug" dealer working out of the back of the unmarked truck - Theresa had a race frame set ready for me. By far the lowest cost improvement providing the best future flexibility. :)

Waiting for some winds now.

My last word...

5 - 6 mph winds this afternoon, smooth SW winds on the beach.

Swapped the EXP stock frame for the race frame. I've never gotten the EXP in the air in less than around 10 (8 maybe?) mph, so I was not optimistic, only hopeful.

WOW - the baby flew as well as I could pilot!! No need for pumping and backing (light wind techniques I'm too old or lazy to do.)

That definitely doubles the days I can play with baby. Excellent advice, ya all.

Good winds.