KiteLife Forum

Nirvana SE UL & STD Tail Weights

Guru4tru

Hi,

I have a Nirvana SE UL & STD and I bought 4 extra brass tail weights. The UL & STD came with, what appear to be, the same weights attached to the kites and the 4 others I bought, come in at,...2 being heavier and 2 being lighter then the ones on the kites...(that's by size comparison).

There are no gram markings on the weights and and I can only tell what I'm dealing with by comparing them to each other, so I want to ingrave each of them with there gram weight. Does anyone knows the 5 different gram weights. (I suppose I can weigh them at the post office, if it's unknown.)

And, before I start swapping weights around, I'd like to know, "generally speaking", what others may have experienced as they increase or decrease the tail weights on the UL & STD.

Keep It Up!

Duane

I fly my Nirvana Std. with 15-25g, depending on wind speed. The more wind, the more weight I add in order to keep trickability. In high winds, the additional weight helps to gain some momentum and therefore speed in the tricks. However, you tend to loose precision as the kite wants to oversteer after sharp turns and I feel like I strongly loose control when the kite is overloaded in light winds. I usually start with the smallest weight. If the kite does all the tricks I want I don't see a reason for putting more weight. If I have to run like crazy in order to get a cascade or a yoyo, add more weight...

Andreas

Thanks Andreas!!

That's just what I was looking for!

I just needed some idea of where to start, a general base line to work off of, before I check these different weights out.

[start small...move upward in weight and/or with wind speed until tricking falls in place, with a possible buyoff in percision to weight ratio.]

And I think the post office has a letter scale that I'll be able to get the gram weight of the 5 weights I have so I can mark them to keep track of what I'm doing. So I'll be OK there too. (I get comfused easily...the over 60 crowd :blink: ... so I will keep a record of grams for best wind speed when I go out).

Thanks Again,

Duane

Hi....

In case anyone is interested (which I doubt, because I'm not sure I'm even interested anymore)....Apparently, whoever made the weights was using "ounces" instead of "grams"...."NOBODY" uses ounces!?!? (Unless they are making a cake!!) But.....

The 5 weights (smallest to largest) come in at: (Post Office scale)

.4 oz. = 11.3398 gr.

.5 oz. = 14.1747 gr.

.6 oz. = 17.0097 gr.

.7 oz. = 19.8446 gr.

.8 oz. = 22.6796 gr.

I'm going to go with the ounces!! A lot easier to engrave!! ;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Well...forget everything I said...I was wrong! ;)

(And so is the Post Office Scale! It's just not that acurate.) :)

The weights are 12, 16, 20, & 24 grams. Which means the ones that come with the UL & STD would be 18 grams.

Thank you:

http://canadiankitecompany.myshopify.com/products/tail-weights-r-sky

Keep It Up!

Duane

• 3 months later...

I've never had really good luck with tail weights. The widow is 'suppose' to be amazing at wrap ups with a 15g tail weight on her. I just find that shes terribly uncontrollable with that weight on. lol

I have no problem wrapping her up into a yoyo,, it's just a little harder in heavier winds, but,, who would want to yoyo in a heavy wind anyhow? Great way to slice ur leading edge, I say.

I actually sliced right through one of my yoyo stoppers doing just that. I was thoroughly amazed, but it was sliced clean through!!

-cheers

Hi,

I must admit that (my wife's) Rev. has been taking up most of my time recently, but when last flying my dear "Serenity" :lol: (Nirvana STD) I was using 18 grams on the tail and inserted a #10 copper groung wire the entire length on the 6mm upper spreader, it fit perfectly inside it...(weight unknown but it's pretty heavy), and I cut the upper spreader 2cm shorter (per Bimi suggestion) and I was getting nice multiple wind-ups with no problem.

But that's as far as I got before (my wife's) REV. grabbed me by the throat and yelled, "FLY ME--OR ELSE!!" :P

So, the wind ups are good, but I don't know how the modifications may have screwed up everything else that "Serenity" does!?!? (and I'm not sure how soon I'll be getting back with her either, because my most beautiful "BLACK RAINBOW REV." :D should arrive soon from Dave at Kite Connection!!)

""SO MANY KITES AND SO LITTLE TIME!!"" ;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

As a result of Jon's post (good to hear from you Jon)...and "Serenity's" (Nirvana STD) constant complaining...I flew her today to check out the difference between the modified upper spreader I made and the stock one.

The wind was gusty, but I figured the test was good because both spreaders were in the same enviorment.

The result was...that I should fly the kite as is, without the modifications. I heard this before somewhere..."Different kites can do different tricks but no kite can do everything". My mind set is now that I should adjust myself to the kite...not try to adjust the kite to my desires!

If I want to do super YOYO's I'll take "Destiny" (Nirvana UL) for a ride...she loves them...The STD is amazing in other areas then the YOYOs...just a slight tug and she is floating on her back or stomach. And back or turtle floats and spins are like natural for her.

I still need more time with all the kites I've been fortunate enough to aquire. And then of course there are the REVS....just beginning there...that's a whole different animal!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Good call m8. Im one to talk right? lol With my frankenstein version of a Widow. lol

But in all seriousness, yeah, I'd say fly it stock as well. Experiment with different weights on different areas of the spine (tail, center T, nose). If you're looking for more wrap up tricks, then a little weight on the tail should do ya. Think about when you snap the nose forward, in preparation for a yoyo -- that next tug to start the rotation should be accompanied by a swift jaunt forward. With the centre of gravity changed from mid-kite, to below the centre T, the kite should wrap up great, as long as theres constantly enough slack on the lines for the kite to rotate freely. Even the slightest bit of tension will slow or nerf your rotation. I ALWAYS make the mistake of not running forward enough to get a full wrap, let alone a multi-wrap. Im getting better though,, as I've shifted my thinking to this: Whatever distance I think I should run forward to compensate for the wrap, I double the distance, and double the speed that I dash forward. It seems to work well for me.

I found that a little weight on the nose is great for flic-flacs in mid-to-high wind ranges. I've also heard the same for wingtip weight for flic flacs, although I've never tried it.

"Whatever distance I think I should run forward to compensate for the wrap, I double the distance, and double the speed that I dash forward. It seems to work well for me." Jon

-----------------------------------

Maybe, I'll be able to find a motorized walker!! :sign_kitelife:

Thanks Jon!

Keep It Up!

Duane