KiteLife Forum

Extended Handles

Chris1686

Whats everyone feeling on extended handles?

I have two sets 13'' and 15''

Here's my delema i have trouble with the 15's on my 1.5 but i love the 15's with my superrsonic. I find with the 15's on the 1.5 even after making adjustments over and over i still feel like im only flying with only the power lines. Any one have any words of handle advice. Any one else have problems like this?

All in all the stock handles work well all around, but i really do like the 15's with the supersonic how fun it is. :)

I also have 13" and 15" handles. I find the 15" handles very useful for light wind flying on any of my Revs because they provide even more break than the standard 1.5 handles. Anything above 5mph, I stick to my 13" handles. I find there is a noticeable difference, but then again, I'm mainly an inland flier and find I have need for that from time to time.

I use long throw handles most of the time, but I live inland and learned under the coaching influences of Jeff Burka.

Longer throws means less work for the pilot, . . . you can get the kite totally flat and parallel with the ground. So edge floats and field recoveries are less effort and look smoother.

My go-to handles are 17 inches across the gap.

I have several sets in this length, a hand-made set of titanium grade five tubes, a set of wrapped carbon customs from Lolly and a set of no-snag solid aluminum customs from Ben. Each has advantages, the set from Ben are a lesser bend, but they are quite heavy compared to the others. The titanium set still has the hog-rings which catch a flying line occasionally and the wrapped set has a foam grip that's too thick for my liking.

I have 15 inch handles, (best on the speed series kites) probably 1/2 a dozen sets of 12 and 13-1/2 inch handle lengths, one has aluminum tubes (used on my 50# lines for maximum sensitivity), some wrapped carbon and some steel tubes.

I have TC Ultra handles for my baby Rev stacks, since the winder is built in and the holes allow you to pin it down at a specific angle during set-up.

You don't need a dozen sets of line and handles, but it surely is convenient when each time you grab one of 'em everything is tuned perfectly, just unwrap the lines away from a stake, hook-on and fly.

I guess like anything else, it's what you are most comfortable with, for me long throws serve a purpose. I'm a flailer by choice, so big actions on the kite is how I generally fly most of the time when done as an individual. Team-flying in formation? a shorter handle length is easier to hold my position. In quad competitions or really big-wind conditions I will go to the shorter lengths of handles and longer line lengths. That smoothes everything out nicely and it's what the judging panels expect from a Rev pilot besides.

so what do you want to do?