KiteLife Forum

Uploading photos to the forum

Jeepster

This is probably the wrong thread to post this in ... move it if necessary.

Posting pictures is frustrating for me. Every forum has a different allowable maximum file size, allowable pixel count, etc. Most times you can't find that info until after you've sized your pictures and tried to upload to the forum gallery. How about a primer (Uploading Pictures for Dummies) that's easily accessible and contains, at least, the following:

1) Maximum file size

2) Maximum pixel count

3) How does one post pictures? In the gallery, off site, thumbnail, full size, etc..

4) Recommended method for easy of viewing.

5) What software/freeware will make life in the "posting lane" easier? I use Photoshop on my main computer, but would like some advise for freeware on my travel computer.

5) Any other available information that I'm don't even know exists.

I hate it when reading an old thread and the pictures are no longer available because an off site website dropped the pictures. Thus my approach has been to save the pictures on the website I'm posting to. Is that a good idea? What else will work?

There's probably a group of semi-lurkers who would be more inclined to share pictures if the directions were readily available ... that would be a positive improvement to the forum.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm going to leave the photo posting instructions to others for now, but here are the upload limits...

==

MEMBERS:

Forum

• Max upload per post (file size of combined uploads): 3MB
  • Personal photo limit: 100kb (150x150)

Gallery
  • Max upload size per file: 3MB

==

SUBSCRIBERS:

Forum

• Max upload per post (file size of combined uploads): 5MB
  • Personal photo limit: 200kb (250x250)

Gallery
  • Max upload size per file: 5MB

==

I hope that clarifies some?

1) Maximum file size

Listed above.

2) Maximum pixel count

Not a factor.

3) How does one post pictures? In the gallery, off site, thumbnail, full size, etc..

In forum posts, below where you enter text, click on the "Click To Attach Files" button...

Matter of fact, you'll see a break down of the limits there!

Here's mine (as an admin): "Used 132.44MB of your Unlimited global upload quota (Max. single file size: 200MB)"

4) Recommended method for easy of viewing.

What?

5) What software/freeware will make life in the "posting lane" easier? I use Photoshop on my main computer, but would like some advise for freeware on my travel computer.

I'll leave this one for others to make suggestions, I'm on Adobe software, not "general use" for most people.

5) Any other available information that I'm don't even know exists.

Anyone else have suggested questions or information?

I hate it when reading an old thread and the pictures are no longer available because an off site website dropped the pictures. Thus my approach has been to save the pictures on the website I'm posting to. Is that a good idea? What else will work?

Right on the money... I *always* try to attach directly to the forum post because indeed, off-site hosting is unreliable in the long run.

There's a start. :)

There's a start. :)

Thanks John ...

Should the pictures be posted as a thumbnail or full size? How do you do each one? Is there another method that is prefered?

If I post full size, can I change the size in the post or do I have to go back and change the original gallery picture.

I apologize if this is basic info that everyone else understands.

Cheers,

Tom

• 1 year later...

For easy viewing and basic editing I suggest IrfanView (if you are using Windows, for Mac and Linux there are others).

...hitchhik

Btw. Why can't I create an Album as a subscriber? I was going to upload some photos from the TISKC, but could not find the "New Album" button.

... could not find the "New Album" button.

Click on Gallery ... then on Members Albums ... then look on the upper right side or the way-down-at-the bottom right side for the "New Album" button.

Please put some dialog to go with your pictures. Doesn't have to be much, but a little verbiage really increases the viewer enjoyment factor.

Cheers,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I uploaded a single picture, and was given the opportunity to add a caption and description.

Then, I used the bulk uploader to upload 3 pictures. Now I would like to add captions and descriptions. I can't seem to find where to do this. Any help appreciated.

I uploaded a single picture, and was given the opportunity to add a caption and description.

Then, I used the bulk uploader to upload 3 pictures. Now I would like to add captions and descriptions. I can't seem to find where to do this. Any help appreciated.

--Pete,

Go into the "Gallery" and find your picture. Click on it to bring it up to full size. Over on the right hand side at the bottom of the image information block you will find a button labeled "Mod Options" ... click it and you're on your way.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

... you will find a button labeled "Mod Options" ...

Y'know, I had already found that button and never tried it. I thought 'mod' stood for 'moderator' and was there to allow Moderators to alter things "for the good of the forum", like deleting the picture of my Aunt Sally doing her famous dance.censored.gif

{edit} Got it! Thanks for the pointer.

Edited by --Pete

... you will find a button labeled "Mod Options" ...

Y'know, I had already found that button and never tried it. I thought 'mod' stood for 'moderator' and was there to allow Moderators to alter things "for the good of the forum", like deleting the picture of my Aunt Sally doing her famous dance.censored.gif

{edit} Got it! Thanks for the pointer.

Yeah Pete...in this computer age..."Common Sense" is of no value!! heehee!!

:confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane