KiteLife Forum

Single Line Kite Help!

caustickites

I have made 4 eddys and a sled and have failed miserably at them. i have to make a kite for a project in my design class due on wednesday, the project is simply to make a kite with a color design that we are talking about in class. the color design part is not the problem, it is actually constucting the kite and having it fly. i would like to know what you, the kite experts, would recomend for someone who really is new at this.

I have really been looking into the box kite? would the box kite have the spinning in circles problem? would it be more reliable in a wider range of wind conditions?

I have a few books on contruction one being The Magnificent Book of Kites

Thank you for any help.

What are you making the kites out of? Our club makes a hornbeam sled for kids to put together. It is made from plastic (trash bag material) and 1/8 inch dowels. The only time they won't fly is when the bridle is tied in the wrong spot. This makes them spin.

A simple box kite is fine if the wind is usually up a bit. We don't usually have much wind here... so the sled works well.

The winged box kite in your book "The Magnificent Book of Kites" flies well. You can make it from most any material and tape.

Good luck,

Hi.

To fly right, the Eddy kites need a dihedral and tails. The dihedral is a bend in the cross spar. About 30 degrees. The tails a a must have and will help stabilze the kite great deal.

To make the dihedreal, soak your cross spar in warm water for a while. Then, bend it at the center point to about 40 degrees and hold it in place till it dries. It will straighten out a bit after your finished.

For tails, surveyors tape works great. Use multiple tails instead of just one long one. 3 tails, each one about 1.5 times the total height of the kite works quite well.

The hornbeam sled will also need tails I believe.

Try the Barn Door kite from Maxwell's book. It's a small, simplish kite. And they look good in trains :huh:

Box kites are great too. I think you could do well with one

Good luck, I hope that helps some :lol:

Cheers,

P.