KiteLife Forum

Line Fray--Repair??

Guru4tru

Hi & Happy Day after Thanksgiving,

Today my wife and I went out flying and decided to fly the Quantums we have. They were our first "real" kites, but we hadn't flown them for a long time because of the Nirvanas and Rev. we bought after them. I was surprised...I up-graded to the Nirvana because I couldn't to tricks on the Quantum, but after learning some stuff on the Nirvana...I can do some of the tricks on the Quantum now too! (Not as easily, nor as pretty, but doing tricks on her just the same.)

But, my question is that when I was winding up one of the 150#x85' line sets I found a small fray in one of the lines and it was about in the middle. Had it been close to one of the ends I would have just cut it off there and shortened the set accordingly...but it's right in the middle. It's small enough to appear that it won't effect the lines strength a great deal "presently", but in time I'm sure it will be a problem and weaken it to the breaking point.

I was going to put a slight dab of super-glue on it and smooth it down so it wouldn't develope into anything bigger, but thought I'd check it out with you'all first to see if there is a better way of repairing it.

Keep It Up!

Duane

I know it is no real help, however I have never heard of Super Glue being used in this way.

Not sure that it would do the job either. The lines need to be flexible, and I think once you put glue on it then it would become stiff. In a little while it would rub on the other line causing more fraying.

You never know though, just cuz I have not heard of it, wont mean it might not be the right thing to do.

Yeah...I guess I'll just replace it. I had 2 lines break on me since I started flying and I'll pass on that experience again if I have a choice. I can cut the frayed line in half and make a short line set out of it of about 40'..I guess. I could use it for my "3D" but 150# is really too heavy for her.

You ever fly anything on that short of a line set?

Keep It Up!

Duane

Today my wife and I went out flying and decided to fly the Quantums we have. They were our first "real" kites, but we hadn't flown them for a long time because of the Nirvanas and Rev. we bought after them. I was surprised...I up-graded to the Nirvana because I couldn't to tricks on the Quantum, but after learning some stuff on the Nirvana...I can do some of the tricks on the Quantum now too! (Not as easily, nor as pretty, but doing tricks on her just the same.)

But, my question is that when I was winding up one of the 150#x85' line sets I found a small fray in one of the lines and it was about in the middle. Had it been close to one of the ends I would have just cut it off there and shortened the set accordingly...but it's right in the middle. It's small enough to appear that it won't effect the lines strength a great deal "presently", but in time I'm sure it will be a problem and weaken it to the breaking point.

I was going to put a slight dab of super-glue on it and smooth it down so it wouldn't develope into anything bigger, but thought I'd check it out with you'all first to see if there is a better way of repairing it.

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane seems like you could make a nice short 4 line set out of that. Short line flying on the rev is a hoot.

Good point John, I just LOVE flying a Rev 1, or any other Rev for that matter on 50 ft lines. Love flying them on other lengths too mind.

And you shouldnt find the fact they are 150's too much of a problem. I had some 150 left over and made a set of 15ft-ers up. Crazy fun.

Thank You'all,

I could get a 20' quad set out of it. That for some reason sounds a bit scary to me...certainly will be exciting...especially with my 60 year old reflexes!! :mf_death:

But, we're here to have fun, right!!...and I'm sure if not fun...it will certainly will be funny!! I'll give the short quad line a shot and see how it goes!! :rev_clockwork:

Thanks,

Keep It Up,

Duane

Yeah...If I had it all to do over again...I wouldn't! :rev_clockwork:

But, after thinking about it....20' is just too close for me to imagine right now with the Rev.! I decided to rework the dual 85' set with the fray into a 40' quad line set. and make a new 85 footer dual line set from scratch.

Another reason for this is that I thought it might be difficult matching the stretch in the remaining good dual line, which was well used, with a bran new line.

Keep It Up! (And thanks for your help!)

Duane

Hi Kitelife,

Good to hear that!!

...maybe my mind is beginning to think like those on the "Darkside!!" :rev_clockwork:

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The 'Dark Side' is about 'Survival'. It's about unleashing your 'Inner Power'. It glorifies the strength of the Individual."

―Darth Zannah

Keep It Up!

Duane

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hey Guru, I've read about how to splice kite lines to remove a frayed spot or connect two different sizes of line together. I've never tried it on kite lines but have on braided fishing line. Con Engels at Windstar Kites has a page to show how. Here's the link -

http://windstarkites.com/FlyLine-No_Knot_Splicing.htm

If the above link doesn't work go to windstarkites dot com and search for no knot splice. This might give you something to do when the weather isn't cooperating.

Good luck & have fun, Ray. :rev_clockwork:

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion and website! I make my own line sets and have directions on "splicing" that came with the sleeves, but it never crossed my mind to do that for mending a line....and I'm glad it didn't...heehee! :rev_clockwork:

After reading the directions on how to do it and the needle and line sizes and all, I was really happy I had already cut the line down for a short quad set!

I still wonder if an itsy-bitsy, littlest touch of super-glue wouldn't have been OK. If I run across this again, I'm going to give the super-glue a shot--just to check it out!

But, thanks for getting back with me on the splicing idea...might try that after the dab of super-glue cuts both lines to hell!! heehee! :mf_death:

Keep It Up!

Duane

I spliced my 75# lineset Duane. Worked like a charm. I had a 40 foot 75# quad line set, so I just spliced the 4 lines into 2, and boom! There ya go, 75feet of 75#.

You should watch out on the higher poundage though. I read somewhere that the integrity of a spectra line is reduced 25% or more when you knot it (via a splice). I would only do it to lighter weight lines.

I spliced a 150# set once for my quantum. I wanted another set of 125footers so my Wife and I could stand next to eachother while I teach her to fly.

I went out and tested them thoroughly, and on about the 3rd run (in winds 15-25Mph) I snapped one like a twig. -- I've never seen a kite break away like that before, but it wasn't pretty. snapped 2 of my standoffs, and my center T. lol

Im in agreement with the above. All or nothin. Make shorter lines out of the shredded line, or just keep it with ya -- you never know when that stuff will come in handy. Hell,, I've sewn up a hole in the nose of my cherry bomb with 150# line on the field. ;)