KiteLife Forum

Nose Repair

JoneZ

Long story short, I need a new nose on my Widow. Yeah,,, I could sew it up with line, and make it look all frankenstein 'esq, but I'd rather just give a shot making a new low-pro nose.

This will involve some stitch pulling and removal,, as well as re-application technique.

I was wondering if there are any unforeseen issues that I may run into while doing this?

Im most concerned about the leading edge -- having removed the stitching, there are going to be some stitch holes there -- and the impact of restitching a new nose onto it...

Any help would be great ;)

~Cheers

~Jon

So today is the day... I'm going to remove the old nose off my Widow, and make a new one. Im not going to use Kevlar -- Im going to use mylar, and a thicker canvas material. It's not going to be as "crash resistant" as Kevlar, but I don't really need that kind of re-enforcement anymore.

Wish me Luck!!

So I just took the nose off, and wow. What a mess on the inside......

First pic is what I found.

second pic is after I burnt off all the fraying.

Im thinking that Im going to cut out a new pc. of nylon to patch the frayed part of the sail, then make the nose.

Any suggestions would be great at this point. hehe

post-3353-126012829502_thumb.jpg

post-3353-126012830281_thumb.jpg

So I just got done repairing my nose.

Instead of mylar and Kevlar I used thick nylon and Kevlar.

Heres a couple pics. I'll be writing another tutorial on how to do it. She looks great!! ;)

1st pic is of my destroyed nose, all unstitched.

2nd is the new cutout of my nose parts.

3rd is the patch to put on my sail (from the pics in the previous post)

4th is the new nose pinned.

5th is it stitched

6th is the end result (minus firing the edges to make nose-to-sail transition smooth.).

post-3353-126014371239_thumb.jpg

post-3353-126014371902_thumb.jpg

post-3353-126014372449_thumb.jpg

post-3353-126014373062_thumb.jpg

post-3353-12601437367_thumb.jpg

post-3353-126014374325_thumb.jpg

LoL. Nah, nothin like that. ;) Just repeatative wear. I think what happened, was that the spar broke through the end cap causing the spar to fracture, over time cutting a whole through the nose =\ .

All fixed up now, and waitin to test it out tomorrow. :D:P

cheers bro.

LoL. Nah, nothin like that. :P Just repeatative wear. I think what happened, was that the spar broke through the end cap causing the spar to fracture, over time cutting a whole through the nose =\ .

All fixed up now, and waitin to test it out tomorrow. :lol::D

cheers bro.

Good to read that it's fixed and ready to play with again and that through it all you've learned to keep your nose outta the dirt. ;)

:D

Dean

lol yeah, took me long enough huh? lol ;)

How you diggin' this cold? Perfect flying weather I say. I barely sweat when I fly. lol Gonna be gettin out there today.

As for the Rev? Maybe if Im a good Husband I"ll get one for x-mas or my 30th birthday (on the 27th). o.0

Went out and flew my new nose yesterday, and she flies great! No nose snags at all.

The winds were about 10-15Mph, and I actually used my lightweight bridle (80#) with my 150# 125ft lines and she soared great!!

John: I PM'd you a link with a how-to on nose replacement. :sign_kitelife: I've also got it up on my site as well if theres any problems downloading.