KiteLife Forum

Treasure Island Sport Kite Championships

Guru4tru

conklincomputer Posted on: January 4th, 2010, 7:01am

KiteTalker 2

AKA Sport Kite Committee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi...I'm just copying a post from AKA in case anyone is interested:

=================

Hello all,

The 2010 Treasure Island Sport Kite Championships is in 2 weeks! The discounted Early Bird registration period for TISKC has ended, but online registration continues until this Saturday, 1/9/10. If you are competing in TISKC and you are not a novice competitor, you MUST register for TISKC no later than Saturday. Of course, if you're a novice and you know you're coming, registering before the event is a huge help to the organizers and Chief Judge, so please, don't wait! Registering for TISKC is super-easy, just go to http://www.easternleague.net/TISKC/registration.html, fill out the form, hit Submit. done. If you want to pay your registration fees online, that's easy too. Just click the Donate button that comes up when you register, and you can pay your fees with any paypal account or major credit card.

Also ending on Saturday 1/9 is the Skate raffle that will be the final fundraising effort for TISKC 2010. There are still a few tickets left (very few!). You can order tickets and get more information on the Skate at http://www.easternleague.net/TISKC/Skate.html. Thanks to Focus Kites for donating the Skate and supporting TISKC 2010!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marc A. Conklin

Eastern League Commissioner

Richmond Air Force webmaster

I'd like to, but we aren't sure yet. My wife works in the entertainment business (Lion Country Safari-Education Director) and holidays are their busiest times and a lot depends on the weather too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01454/crowd_1454560i.jpg

Keep It Up!

Duane

I'd like to, but we aren't sure yet. My wife works in the entertainment business (Lion Country Safari-Education Director) and holidays are their busiest times and a lot depends on the weather too.

http://www.telegraph...wd_1454560i.jpg

Keep It Up!

Duane

It's getting closer to TI time. I sure hope you and the wife can make it, even if it is just for a day it will be so much fun for you both.

We'll probably make the decision when the first day of it is here...I know Monday is out because she has to work on that day. But, I'd really like to see someone fly a kite. I've been flying by myself...and just seeing how otheres fly would really help me I'm sure!

If you see a guy in a straw hat with a white feather in it, carrying "Elvira" in his arms, that's me! Remember I don't hear much, so you'll have to throw a rock or something at me to get my attention! :devil::)

Keep It Up!

Duane

I'll be looking up so, you better tap me on the shoulderkid_smartass.gif. I know how you feel flying alone. 99% of my flying is solo which is a big reason I enjoy making it to TI each year. The biggest reason is probably to see face to face so many people that I enjoy reading about on the Rev forum all year. It's like running in to a heard of old friends each year.

WOW...Was the TISKC GREAT! First time I've been to one!

The thing that was most amazing was how friendly everyone was. I introduced myself to someone and they introduced me to others and before long I was with a pool of friends all sharing and helping me with my questions and showing me how to do stuff, some of which I didn't even know about!!

The phrase I used most was, "Next Year!" as I kept turning down offers to fly with the groups..."Next Year!!" :blue-cool::)

The only thing that I hated was I could only be there for one day. :)

------

A fellow came out beside me as we were both flying Revs. and introduced himself to me. He was really good!...He said he has sub-ed with IQUAD and I mentioned JB's name and he said..."He's god!!" (But, I'm not sure if that was with a small or capital "G") I've never heard so many people speak so highly of someone before! ;)

------

Next year I'm in on the "group fly"...that gives me a year to get my act together!! :ani_whistling:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Haha, great to hear you've had a good time Duane (and everyone else)... It's a great place to be, this kite life.

I've never before met such a genuinely friendly and familial group of people, and it extends damned near worldwide. :ani_whistling:

And yes, next year, for sure... Nothing but fun, and it really is easier than it looks, you have my word.

Haha, great to hear you've had a good time Duane (and everyone else)... It's a great place to be, this kite life.

I've never before met such a genuinely friendly and familial group of people, and it extends damned near worldwide. :)

And yes, next year, for sure... Nothing but fun, and it really is easier than it looks, you have my word.

Yeah...and I suppose Christ said the same thing about walking on water! :blue-cool::)

But, thanks for the encouragment! :ani_whistling:

I'm sure with a years practice I'll be able to do it. They were sometimes doing slides across the sky and I had about zero practice at that! A guy from DC named Paul showed my how to do it and cartwheel at ther same time, so all I need is practice--practice--practice!

And maybe, if your schedule permits, you and TK could get there next year too! That would be great!! ;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

BTW--When I first arrived at TISKC I met MrDenny...(really great to meet people for the first time that I've been communicating with online!) And he was flying in the Rev. group fly. I was told that they were all flying at 120', but I forgot to ask if they were all using the same pound test line...or...if one was better then another. MrDenny is probable still there, so does anyone know what pound test I should practice on? :confused!:

MrDenny is flying the red, white, and blue Rev. ;) Look at all those lines crossing...that's scary!! :ani_whistling::blue-cool:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Oh Yeah...there was one other thing that I forgot to mention that happened at the TISKC that was well beyond my comprehension.

(Sometimes somethings are so bizarre that our normal conscious mind experiences it but does not compute it at the moment...but remembers it later on.)

Way off from the crowd, and away from the Rev. group flyers, and away from my trying to do a simple "slide" with my kite as a loner down near the water...was a small group of guys, (appreantly from some distant planet), that were flying their Revs. together. It was like synchronized swimming...but they were doing synchronized "AXELS" and what appeared to me to be synchronized "FLIC-FLACS" with their Revs..... :ani_whistling:

OK...OK...Your right...But, I only had one (1) beer with lunch!!

Who were those guys????? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Duane,

It was great to see you and put a finally face to the name. I wish I had known you were right behind us I could have come back and chatted longer. Your not so far away so some weekend you will have to let me know where you are flying and we can get together. Flying with one other person is a great start and practice for flying with a group. You can just fly around and I will follow to start which gets you used to having another kite next to yours in the sky. Then you can follow which will give you the opportunity to practice the speed control needed. That is half the battle. Before long you will be comfortable enough to join in any group. Most folks at TI were flying 90# 120' lines which are standard for most kite gatherings. If you only have 2 or 3 people and limited space the 80's you have will do just fine for practice. When you finally do go to 120s it will only be that much easier. I'm glad you had such a good time.

Next year............................................

Way off from the crowd, and away from the Rev. group flyers, and away from my trying to do a simple "slide" with my kite as a loner down near the water...was a small group of guys, (appreantly from some distant planet), that were flying their Revs. together. It was like synchronized swimming...but they were doing synchronized "AXELS" and what appeared to me to be synchronized "FLIC-FLACS" with their Revs..... :ani_whistling:

I wasn't there, but an educated might be the members of IKE? I wanted to say the Rev Riders, but Laura's in that mix. Maybe she was off taking a break? Hopefully one of them will know for sure and chime in here...

Hi MrDenny, that would be great! I'll use 120' x 90#, and when I think I'm ready to see another kite in the sky beside me I'll get intouch with you and we'll get together. (My wife would love a weekend out up in your area too!) Paul, from DC, came over beside me at one point and started flying beside me, following me around and as soon as our lines touched---I crashed and said "I sure scare easy!!" :ani_whistling::blue-cool:

Yeah...doing it with just one other kite first would be a real help!! THANKS!!

---------------

Hi Areochic,

Yes... it was probably the Rev Riders, because their trailer was close by. [i used the term "guys" meaning both sexes--Laura has corrected me online before about that, but it is an exceptable term which includes all sexes--according to Webster Dictionary] and I wasn't watching the people at all, just their kites---and WOW I couldn't believe they were doing group synchronized "AXELS"!! I've gotta see a group Rev. competition sometime...I didn't know it was possible to even do that stuff!! ;)

Thanks,

Keep It Up!

Duane

Webster:

3 a : man, fellow b : person —used in plural to refer to the members of a group regardless of sex <saw her and the rest of the guys>

Hi MrDenny, that would be great! I'll use 120' x 90#, and when I think I'm ready to see another kite in the sky beside me I'll get intouch with you and we'll get together. (My wife would love a weekend out up in your area too!)

Hi Duane

Glad you enjoyed your first festival, and met up with some other flyers... :blue-cool:

I wanna say thanks to MrDenny for introducing Duane to the others, because it's often assumed that everyone knows one another.

It's nice to be introduced... especially for the 'shy' amongst us.

.....you never know hey :ani_whistling:

Keep it up ;)

Hi MrDenny, that would be great! I'll use 120' x 90#, and when I think I'm ready to see another kite in the sky beside me I'll get intouch with you and we'll get together. (My wife would love a weekend out up in your area too!)

Hi Duane

Glad you enjoyed your first festival, and met up with some other flyers... ;)

I wanna say thanks to MrDenny for introducing Duane to the others, because it's often assumed that everyone knows one another.

It's nice to be introduced... especially for the 'shy' amongst us.

.....you never know hey :blue-cool:

Keep it up :)

Heehee!! Good set up Choccy!! :ani_whistling:

Keep It Up!

Duane

The big word I realized is "control", when it comes to the group fly!! I was behind and off to the side of the group fly, but I was pretending to be in the group...flying along with them. I realized "controling" not only the position but the speed too, instead of just flying with the wind, is a whole different ball game then my usual fly. It may take me close to a year to learn that..heehee...but, I'll get it!! :blue-cool:

-----

I didn't hear anything going on during the group fly, but my wife informed me today, (when I was talking about the group fly), that someone was giving verbal commands and that might be a problem for me.

Here's the thing...I can hear some sound out of my right ear, but the sound is distorted and doesn't always make words that I can understand. (That's why my wife would have to repeat things others would say to me sometimes. She'd probably say it at the same volume, but I'm used to her sounds and what words those sounds represent.)

But with the friendliness of all the people I met, that shouldn't be a problem. It would just mean that who ever is giving the commands would have to take a few minutes with me before time to say the commands so I could hear their sound and then let me repeat the words back to him (or her..heehee!) Once I know the sounds of a persons words, I can usually understand what they are saying. (And they would have to be on my right side.)

I sure there would be no problem, just a concern I had.

All those lines wrapped around each other...I sure wouldn't want to screw that up!! :ani_whistling:;)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Choccy,

Although I was looking forward to it I never got the opportunity to introduce Duane to anyone. The first time I saw him was as he and his lovely wife were checking into the hotel. I let him know where I would be and let him finish his business. Later we ran into each other and he was on his way to lunch. I let him know where Ben was set up where the demos were and where groups of us would be flying when he got back. That was the last time I saw Duane! It sounds like he had a great time on his own. I think most people at TI are very outgoing and like Duane said, all he needed to do was say hello to a Rev flyer and it takes a life of its own.

The big word I realized is "control", when it comes to the group fly!! I was behind and off to the side of the group fly, but I was pretending to be in the group...flying along with them. I realized "controling" not only the position but the speed too, instead of just flying with the wind, is a whole different ball game then my usual fly. It may take me close to a year to learn that..heehee...but, I'll get it!! ;)

-----

I didn't hear anything going on during the group fly, but my wife informed me today, (when I was talking about the group fly), that someone was giving verbal commands and that might be a problem for me.

Here's the thing...I can hear some sound out of my right ear, but the sound is distorted and doesn't always make words that I can understand. (That's why my wife would have to repeat things others would say to me sometimes. She'd probably say it at the same volume, but I'm used to her sounds and what words those sounds represent.)

But with the friendliness of all the people I met, that shouldn't be a problem. It would just mean that who ever is giving the commands would have to take a few minutes with me before time to say the commands so I could hear their sound and then let me repeat the words back to him (or her..heehee!) Once I know the sounds of a persons words, I can usually understand what they are saying. (And they would have to be on my right side.)

I sure there would be no problem, just a concern I had.

All those lines wrapped around each other...I sure wouldn't want to screw that up!! :w00t::)

Keep It Up!

Duane

I am as new to this as you are but I think the team and group fliers use walkie talkies with head sets... would that help or hurt your situation??? :blue-music:

otherwise I have a vision of team flying with some one like a orchestral conductor out in front giving visual commands... I guess it would minimize low altitude maneuvers :revonhead:

Hi Bill,

Glad to know I'm not the only new kid on the block at this!! heehee! :)

Yeah...the head set thing 'might' work. The problem I've had with head sets is that most of the time they are running stereo sound to different ears and I only have one ear that works at all, so I only get half the sound coming through, from whatever, and it depends on the leader's voice frequencies too. (got some dead freqs. in there) :confused!:

It will probably be OK if I just hear the leader say the commands first.

If worse comes to worse...heehee!!....I can get my wife a chair and sit her behind me and have her yell out and repeat all the commands that are being given! (It wouldn't be the most boring day she has ever spent me---and would probably cost me a dinner or two out---but, that would work!!) ;):)

One thing...thoughts on the subject aren't going to slow down my practice any. :blue-music:

It's "Group Fly or Bust!" for me next year!! :revonhead:OR :w00t:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Way off from the crowd, and away from the Rev. group flyers, and away from my trying to do a simple "slide" with my kite as a loner down near the water...was a small group of guys, (appreantly from some distant planet), that were flying their Revs. together. It was like synchronized swimming...but they were doing synchronized "AXELS" and what appeared to me to be synchronized "FLIC-FLACS" with their Revs..... :revonhead:

Ok Duane, I think you witnessed these three culprits: Paul LeMasters, Paul Dugard and Revolution's main man Ben Dantonio!:

(see comment #141)

Wish I could have seen that myself!!! :blue-music:

Way off from the crowd, and away from the Rev. group flyers, and away from my trying to do a simple "slide" with my kite as a loner down near the water...was a small group of guys, (appreantly from some distant planet), that were flying their Revs. together. It was like synchronized swimming...but they were doing synchronized "AXELS" and what appeared to me to be synchronized "FLIC-FLACS" with their Revs..... :revonhead:

Ok Duane, I think you witnessed these three culprits: Paul LeMasters, Paul Dugard and Revolution's main man Ben Dantonio!:

(see comment #141) http://www.revkites....-kite-festival/

Wish I could have seen that myself!!! :blue-music:

Nah.....it was us. We were working on some axel passes for our routine.