KiteLife Forum

5m Junkie quad line traction kite

Progcraft

G'day.

Just thought I 'd share my latest project with ya'll.

It's a 5 square meter Junkie traction kite made from foilmaker plans.

It's taken just under two weeks to make the kite including three days I spent makeing a small mock up so I could learn the intracicies of makeing the cells..

297 printed sheets of paper made up the templates. They had to be glued to posterboard then cut out. 28 sheets of posterboard were used to make all the templates. Fabric used is 14.5 meters of 140cm wide fabric.

This is the current state of the kite:

Junkie_5m_0072_sm.jpg

Junkie_5m_0076_sm.jpg

Tonight I'll trim the trailing edge and add on the edge binding. That will complete the kite itself. I should also be able to get all the bridle lines measured and cut tonight.

I'll spend tommorrow morning attaching the bridle. Then, barring any problems or bad weather, I'll take it out in the afternoon for it's first test flight. :w00t::w00t:

If all goes well on that test flight, Saturday and Sunday will see me burning up the fields on my snowboard :cat::w00t: It's gonna be a good winter :w00t::o

Cheers,

P.

Patience is something you learn on a kite like this. Sewing the upper skins and ribs together was a pretty painstaking process due to the fact that the three pieces that have to be sewed together all have curved edges, and the curves are contrary (because your sewing good side to good side, the curves on the fabric get reversed so that they end up the right way when the fabric is laid out flat)..

But, it was a lot of fun too. Yeah, I'm weird, I know. :w00t:

P

What's next?

Not really sure what's next. Likely a really big Flowform. About 4 meters long, 3.2m wide. That's about 135 square feet (calculated for bottom skin only)

Also working on archs. I recently completed another one. I want to make two more yet this winter and that will double the overall size of my Crazy Eddy arch, takeing it up to 208 kites.

I also will be building 3m traction kite. Not right away, but soon.

And, I also need to get to work on an arch train. I have this idea for turning Crazy Eddy into a giant dome of kites. But, that'll be a long time in comeing as I calculate I will need approx 6 arch trains for a total of 400 - 600 kites. So, I think I'll start with just a short train. Maybe 50 kites or so.

Then, there's a big chain sock which I'll turn into a tail for the flowform.

Maybe a largish Delta. Say 20 feet wide or so.

Maybe a few other things before spring :)

Cheers,

P.

I'm very happy, somewhat surprised, and quite satisfied with my new kite :)

Junkie_5m_0114_sm.jpg

This morning, there was still none to very little wind. But, I had to go to the store and do those things that always seem to inturrupt kite building and flying. You know, things like get food. Anyway, I decided that I may as well take my new kite and some gear with me anyways. The park I like to fly at is right next to the grocery store.

So, I go to the field. I'm standing there in the middle of the field and there's pretty much no wind. Smoke is bending but that is it. Higher up, I can see there is a bit of wind because the exaust comeing off the top of the school was bending a liitle bit more.

Well, I decided I may as well take the kite out and see it for the first time in the sunshine.

:)

It looked good :)

So, there it is laid out on lines and everything. I may as well try to fly it. Wind is 1 mph. Occasional bursts up to maybe 3 or 4mph. But, higher up seemed to hold more promise. I know for a fact that trying to fly one of my dual line kites (Obsession, Orange) would never work in this wind. I also know for a fact that my 5m NPW9b WOULD be flyable.

Ok, handles in hand, big step backwards, long pull on the arms. Kite straight freaking up!!!! B)

Holy!!!! I couldn't freaking believe it. Now, not only did it fly up, it's flyING!! :)

So I flew the kite for the next two hours!!!

The kite, it doth flyeth.

The builder, he doth smileth :)

Now, during the next two hours, the ground level wind picked up to around 3 - 4 mph. Never much more. It wasn't gusty either.

The kite flew very nicely. AND, when flying diagonally downwards through the window, the kite generated enough apparent wind speed to drag me downwind! :) (I was wearing old boots with no grip whatsoever and the ground was frozen and covered in snow. If it were summer, I could've held my ground)

The kite flew most excellantly. The really light winds made the kite un-responsive on the edges of the window, but when the wind did hit it's stength, the kite was quite nice and steady on the edges.

And it's a nice, quiet kite too

First thing I noticed is this. Sooo much easy to keep power and forward speed then my NPW9b. You need to fly a NPW like an old helicopter. Always giving input. Too much power and the nose folds. Too much brake and the TE folds up. You always have to work the kite, and even then the power isn't entirely steady. This is why I find stand-up riding difficult with the NPW.

The Junkie is much different. Just hang on to the power lines and let the kite fly. No inputs needed. Turning the kite 180 degrees maintained some power (remember, very light wind here).

The power transfer on the Junkie is also very nice. It's a smooth on and off. The NPW tends to go from none to full on in the blink of an eye. Again, this makes stand-up riding difficult. The Junkie was very smooth. I liked it a lot. On the downward diagonal pass, the kite would power on as if you were just stepping on a gas pedal. Smooth power increase until I was sliding along the ground nicely.

However, the Junkie is not nearly as nimble as the NPW. I miss that. The NPW is very responsive and able to turn sharp, even square, corners. The Junkie does not. At this point I also learned that extended tip drags through the snow tended to load the outside cells up with snow. But, it was fun to empty the kite in the air and watch the billows of snow fall out

Reversing the kite from the top of the window to the ground did not require much work either. A bit of balanceing between power and brake to keep it from collapsing, but still quite easy to do. The NPW does this rather embarassing flapping motion in reverse.

The Junkie was easily launchable from most any postion. It was also easily recoverable from most collapses. Only twice (maybe three tiems) did the kite wing wrap bad enough that I had to do the walk of shame.

The Junkie's wind window is also noticeably larger then the NPW. In the light winds I had today, the NPW would have to stuggle to the top of it's window where as just a bit of pumping would get the Junkie directly overhead (where it would promptly fold in half and start to flutter down. But, always recoverable before it hit the deck.

Here's a few more pictures of the kite in flight. They are large.

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0104.jpg

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0105.jpg

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0107.jpg

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0108.jpg

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0111.jpg

I'm also pretty satisfied with the color scheme. Not a fancy graphic, but it's not dull and boreing either. It all blends well together in the air.

This is a low quality video. I haven't played with any Linux video editing yet so the file size is unfortunatly quite large. 9.8Mb,

If someone would be kind enough to encode it into a more efficient avi, I would much appreciate :)

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m.mpg

So, like I said above, I'm ecstatic with joy about my new kite. I've very confident that it will provide much more fun for snowboarding. But don't get me wrong here, the NPW9b is a great buggy engine. Just not great for stand-up riding. I'm think the Junkie will fill that role nicely.

I call this kite, a success :) Me so happy :)

Cheers,

P.

ps. Sorry if you find the post long.

G'day

The lake

Junkie_5m_0128_sm.jpg

When we arrived at the lake, there was another fella there just setting up as well. He was flying a Blade 4.5 We talked for a while and it was nice to see another flyer out

I got my gear setup before Bud did. I fly my Junkie for a few mintues to make sure all was well, then I jumped on my snowboard.

And I was off!! :wacko:

The wind was right on the bottom end of the range for the kite. About 15 - 20 kph (9 - 12 mph) There were bursts up to maybe 25 and the edge of the lake had a wind speed of 25 as well (the wind seemed to build up against the trees and house and extend a couple hundred feet into the lake. It was most fun in this area of increased wind)

For the first 30 - 45 mintues or so, all I could do was go downwind. I lost ground on every pass over the lake. Finally, after getting about 1.5 km down the lake, I started to figure out the cross wind boarding and I was able to spend the next 30 - 45 mintues going back and forth across the lake. I didn't lose ground. But I wasn't gaining any either. I tired a few runs downwind in an attempt to getup some speed, but the wind didn't co-operate quite enough.

Then, it finally all clicked together and I found myself a few hundred feet upwind of where I was B) This got me cranked. So, for the next 30 - 45 minutes I worked the wind and I got back to my starting point!! Boy was I happy about that. It's the first time I've ever managed to get back to my starting point while riding a stand-up board. :D

In the mean time, Bud was flying a 4m Skytiger. He ended up about 2.5 km downwind and walked back (ha ha ha ha :) ) Boy did I harress him about that

I think with a bit more wind, things would be easier overall. It was a a bit or work getting upwind. I really had to crank on the board and kite. My legs were just killing my last night.

I loved hooking in to my harness with this kite. On ny NPW's, I never hook in. You can't. With the beatifully smooth power transtion of the Junkie, I stayed hooked in all the time. Getting of my butt and into a standing postion (while on the snowboard) was soooo easier. Fly the kite through the window and it just gently stood me up. Sooo cooollll :)

Here's a few pictures of the kite

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0142.jpg

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0143.jpg

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0151.jpg

http://kites.icelands.ca/Junkie_5m/Junkie_5m_0152.jpg

Me on my snowboard.

Junkie_5m_0184_sm.jpg

Junkie_5m_0185_sm.jpg

Bud on his skies and my kite

Junkie_5m_0167_sm.jpg

Ken, the guy who had showed up a few minutes before us was flying a 4.5m Flexifoil Blade. This guy had no problems at all going everywhere. He left me in the dust. Upwind was soo easy for this guy. So, I'm thinking my next traction kite will actually be the Gual kite. The Gual seems to be quite similar to the Blade.

Well, I'm really freaking happy about my kite. I think in slightly higher winds it will be a reall blast and easier to get upwind with.

Overall, this kite is definatly a success. I've right thrilled about it. :)

Cheers.

P.

ps. About 1/2 hour after starting, some of the clouds cleared out and left a huge Sun Dog. It looked very cool :)

• 10 months later...
Congratulations Progcraft,

Nice kite.

So ? Did you finally built a Gual ?

I was about to start this kite too, and would like to know your comments :)

I have plans for a Blade too, if you want we can share ! :huh:

Dont worry, lakes will freeze soon ! :P

:)

Hi Fredo.

Thanks.

I have a 6.5m and 8m Gual comeing up. My next kite is a 3m Junkie. After that I'll do the 8m Gual.

Out here in the mountians, I don't have to wait for the lakes to freeze. I was up at Sunshine ski resort last week with a few other people. We tried to get some nowkiteing in, but the wind was too light. Even for the 10m that one guy was flying.

I really like the Junkie series. I just completed a 4m and it flys just great. These are good kites. They fly well, hold thier shape well, and generate lot's of controllable power. Nice gentle power ups.

A Blade eh. Yeah, I'd be interested in taking a look a tthat. Just PM me here.

Here's a picture of the 4m Kite I just completed.

Junkie_4m_Ken_Ruhr_025_sm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Where do you find the plans for these - are they just what comes out of one of the kite plan calculators? If you're willing (and such a thing exists), I'd be interesting in getting a copy as a .pdf or something similarly universal - I'm on a mac and haven't found a program to make plans yet.

Thanks,

Evan

Hi,

Where do you find the plans for these - are they just what comes out of one of the kite plan calculators? If you're willing (and such a thing exists), I'd be interesting in getting a copy as a .pdf or something similarly universal - I'm on a mac and haven't found a program to make plans yet.

Thanks,

Evan

Hi Evan.

The Junkie plans use a program called Foilmaker. It's CAD software for traction kites. The website has been down for a while, so I'll have to email you the executables. Does Mac have an emulator for running Windows programs?

The Junkie kites can be found at Wingine.nl

The Junkie's are really nice kites. I like 'em a lot. I'm working on another 3m right now :)

Btw. where do you live? I'm in Calgary myself.

Cheers,

P.

I guessed that - I think I've seen that program talked around about alot (I guess it's like sledmaker or surfplan). I'm sure there are windwos emulator out there, but I've been reluctant because of the $$$... I could probably find a PC to use for a while though. If you wouldn't mind passing on the foilmaker that'd be great! (ecrawfor AT interchange DOT ubc DOT ca)

I'm in Vancouver, student at UBC. I've been mostly into kitesurfing and have been using inflatables, but always enjoy a kite with a good pull (i've got a little 2 m foil and it's great to go rip around with). I've also been toying with the idea of trying kite-snowboarding. snowkiting? I guess. I figure I don't really care if I have an inflatable for that (probably just asking to rip a bladder), and I enjoy tinkering, so I thought making a kite would be fun. My brother is also into it a bit, he's thinking of trying out buggying, and he's tried to make a kite before too.

I tried to download the junkie files but it was giving me 404 errors, is this a recent development? (could you send them along too, if you have?)

On another topic, where do you usually go for material? Most of the fabric places I've tried in town are focussed more on craft type stuff, and seemed a little perplexed when I asked for some V30 poly thread and dacron. I think there is an outdoor fabric store that probably carries some ripstop material, but seems to be pricey - any leads on good material sources?

Thanks!

Evan

Hi Evan.

The Junkie plans use a program called Foilmaker. It's CAD software for traction kites. The website has been down for a while, so I'll have to email you the executables. Does Mac have an emulator for running Windows programs?

The Junkie kites can be found at Wingine.nl

The Junkie's are really nice kites. I like 'em a lot. I'm working on another 3m right now :)

Btw. where do you live? I'm in Calgary myself.

Cheers,

P.

Hi

I'll email you the files when I get home later. It's odd that wingine isn't responding for you.

Yes, foilmaker is similar to surfplan. But I think surfplan is better. Surfplan has a builtin 3D Virtual Reality viewer so you kites can be designed in a 3D space. It's cool.

www.kitebuilder.com is a great source for materials. Very good prices.

They also have a great forum which you can find here: Kitebuilder.com Forums I have a few threads on traction foils there.

Cheers,

P.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Fredo.

Thanks.

I have a 6.5m and 8m Gual comeing up.

Hello ProgCraft, I finally decided to make a Gual !!!

I already have build a Vortex 5m and a Dominator 4m, and "needed" another just in between B)

So I took the Gual 5m plan and rescaled it to 4.4m...

The kite was relatively easy to built in 3 weekends, and really flies like a dream.

I wanted a stable kite, because here in Quebec winds are often gusty.

It is as fast as my Vortex 5m, and as stable as my Dominator 4m ! ! !

The pull is strong, even and predictable. I love it...

The upwind performance seems on par with the Vortex. Which is very good.

No adjustments were necessesary what so ever !!! It flew well the first time :)

Here are some photos of it in my dining room. Sorry, no flying photos yet. Soon !

Keep up sewing ! :innocent:

Fred Gauvin

post-552-1135214546_thumb.jpg

post-552-1135214554_thumb.jpg

Gual_4.4_Fred.SLE.zip

post-552-1135214755_thumb.jpg

Hi mate.

Could you send my files of GUAL 6.5 Please.

I'll email you the files when I get home later. It's odd that wingine isn't responding for you.

Yes, foilmaker is similar to surfplan. But I think surfplan is better. Surfplan has a builtin 3D Virtual Reality viewer so you kites can be designed in a 3D space. It's cool.

www.kitebuilder.com is a great source for materials. Very good prices.

They also have a great forum which you can find here: Kitebuilder.com Forums I have a few threads on traction foils there.

Cheers,

P.

• 2 months later...