KiteLife Forum

Wind scooters???

Guru4tru

Hi,

I was at Round Island Park, Florida and I turned around just in time to get a picture of these "wind vehicals" before they were gone...and they were buzzing along pretty good!

Does anyone know what they are called, or where I can get an up close picture of them, or maybe the manufactures name? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi,

I was at Round Island Park, Florida and I turned around just in time to get a picture of these "wind vehicals" before they were gone...and they were buzzing along pretty good!

Does anyone know what they are called, or where I can get an up close picture of them, or maybe the manufactures name? :confused!:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Look out Duane... slippery slope ahead

Seen quite a few of them in the UK, specially Weston beach.

Like a buggy, but with a Windsufer sail on.

They look well cool.

If you do a search for Landsailer you can even get a set of plans for them.

And...I didn't even get started yet and my model is out dated!?!? ;)

Is that a piano, heehee!! :confused!: :ani_smoke:

I think I'll pass on this project, I have enough difficulty just trying to do good a Doesy-Do with my Rev. right now! :)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Yup, those are blokarts. If you want to step up a little, I would get the Manta instead as I like those much better. For more info you can look at www.nalsa.org

I own a Manta windjammer as well as a twinjammer (ok, the twin has been officially confiscated by my wife). We sail as often as possible as well as kite buggy. It's a very addicting sport but is more fun than you can possibly imagine!!! ;)

Btw, anyone hear about the greenbird ecoticity project that set the new official land speed record for a wind powered vehicle last year at Ivanpah? It hit 126 mph - all 100% wind power. Now that was cookin'!!!! Greenbird project website

Strange, you wouldnt think a sail like that would generate so much "push"

I wonder what they'd do in one of our Florida Hurricanes!! ;):)

Yeah...they really look like a "Blast"!! But, I'll have to pass, at least for now! But, thanks for the info. I'll remember where it is!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Yeah...Shook!!! Now, that's "real" buggy-ing!! ;)

Good pictures! You ought to post them up top in the form so all those that might not stop here can see it!

And nice work on the buggy. Did you do your own welding? And I was wondering...I see the strap to the handles, but what kind of upper body strength do you need to hang on to, and opperate, things? (No Bill...I'm not slipping down the slope...just asking a question or two!?!?) :clap2:

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hi, yes it is very hard on your upper body when you are learning. You wear a cuff velcroed to each wrist called "Kite Killers" and they connect to the brake lines with a 400mm bungee cord. When it all goes wrong, just drop the handles and this applies the brakes only and the kite depowers and falls to the ground. Most times not even tangling the lines.

In the photo you can see a small pulley that the strop (line connecting handles) is running through to each power line on the kite (it's connected to the back of the handle as the lines go right through).

The pulley is attached to a "Whichard quick release" on a climbing harness, so if in trouble, DUMP the kite handles and all with a pull of the release tag. This results in much untangling as it blows away.

I now have an "Ozone" harness that is more padded and comfortable. It spreads the load to your upper legs and waist. Very little load on your wrists. They fly very much like a Rev.

Yes I built the "Chook Chaser" my self, as I have a good workshop with Mig welder, lathe, mill, plasma cutter and pipe bender. (My wife reckons I live in there).

Here are some links.

I got to 76.4 Kmh yesterday on a salt lake 2 kms from home. Had 15mm of rain last night so won't be back there for a while now.

http://popeyethewelder.piczo.com/?g=1&cr=7 This guy is a star!!!!

http://www.powerkiteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7

http://www.extremekites.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12517

http://www.extremekites.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12978

Hi Chook,

WOW, What great stuff you're into! This Buggy-ing is like there was a whole different world sitting right here that I hardly even noticed!! Thanks for all the information and pictures!

And nice shop you have!! And your welding is really great. I've done some welding in the past, but it never looked like that. (We'll it was more like...weld for 3 minutes and grind for 20! heehee!)

I don't plan on getting into the Buggy World, I'm too old and would break very easily...heehee! But, thanks for the trip into your world. I can imagine how exciting that must be at the speeds you are going at....that's fast!! And I honor your courage!! ;)

Thanks again for the ride through your world!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Thanks for saying so.

Welding is a practiced task. I love teaching my student how to do it well.

I'm 50yrs old and don't bounce well, so I don't risk it. Always have an out is my motto.

Was out this arvo with my 6.8 sq/mtr Viper kite in much lower wind. 10 knots and had a ball. I did 35.4 kms of cruising up and back along the beach. It's 17 kms one way. I stopped and spoke to the couple of people fishing along the way.

Also windofchange thanks for the info on Greenbird. There is a video in the multimedia section, that happened on Lake Lefroy. I cross this lake every time I travel to Kalgoorlie 450kms to our north. I had not heard a thing about it. Nice to find out about it from the other hemisphere, Ta for that.

Keep smilin' Chook

• 4 years later...

Lynn and I just spent a week at El Mirage Dry Lake, CA running kite buggies, Blokart and Manta Twinjammer landsailers. I have sailed boats for over 55 years. We kept a small sailboat on the roof of our houseboat which I sailed often, sometimes taking Lynn along, but never taught her to sail. Last week I taught her to sail on a Manta Twinjammer. She still has the smile on her face.

We had a great time.

Me on a Manta Windjammer (single seat)

post-991-0-94149800-1396815668_thumb.jpg

On an Kite Buggy

post-991-0-74858400-1396815560_thumb.jpg

and on a Blokart

post-991-0-31182300-1396815788_thumb.jpg

• Like 2