KiteLife Forum

Leading rods longer than sail by….

Juan

Hi people!

I just got my JBPro and it is just beautiful. I requested with race rods and the color of this things is awsome!

My question is how should I tune the leading edge because it is 6 or 7 inches longer than the sail…if I put the caps on the leading edge make an arc, so should I leave the arc? or should it be straight…

Other kites are straight so this new one got me thinking.

What do you think?

Juan

From Colombia, South America.

Hi people!

I just got my JBPro and it is just beautiful. I requested with race rods and the color of this things is awsome!

My question is how should I tune the leading edge because it is 6 or 7 inches longer than the sail…if I put the caps on the leading edge make an arc, so should I leave the arc? or should it be straight…

Other kites are straight so this new one got me thinking.

What do you think?

Juan

From Colombia, South America.

Hi Juan,

Measure the length of the rods and then compare to your other Rev 1.5 Rods. I am wondering if you received a set of ZEN Race rods and not Rev 1.5 race rods

confused_1.gif

1.5 rods, which your B Pro should have are listed as 91"

And Rev 1 Rods which the Zen is based on are 108"

(listed on the Rev home page)

This would make them SO long you had pretty much no chance of fitting the end caps if you happend to have the wrong set in your pack.

The rods do stick out of the end of the sail and if I remember rightly my Pro seems to have more of a curve to the LE than the other JB's I have. Might just be the way the rods are set up though.

There has been recorded a slight variation in rod lengths in other threads. I think my rods pretty much stick out about a couple of inches from both ends.

Hope this helps, of course I could be wrong and indeed you have the Zen / Rev 1 rods by mistake. I am sure it can be sorted out PDQ if this is the case.

1.5 rods, which your B Pro should have are listed as 91"

And Rev 1 Rods which the Zen is based on are 108" ...

Opps Bear, that's one part of the Rev site that's confusing. The Rev page lists the leading edge length of the sail fabric (wing span) and not the length of the assembled rods.

All five of the 1.5 rods (tubes) with Juan's Pro should be 31 inches long. That makes the leading edge rod assembly of three tubes 93 inches long. With a leading edge fabric length of 91 inches, approximately one inch of the leading edge rod will be sticking out of each end of the sail. Since the end cap pockets are approximately 3/4 inches deep, that means the end caps should be almost touching the leading edge fabric when it's assembled.

I've never measured the Zen tubes, so don't know their specific lengths. But, if tradition holds true, then the leading edge rod assembly would be 110 inches long. That would leave 9.5 inches sticking out of each kite. Way too much to get the end caps over.

@Juan

The kite should have a leading edge arch ... it is not straight. Please post a picture of your assembled kite and we can help a little more.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello, Thank for your interest.

I am shearing Jeepster opinion as that is what I have in my 1.5 SLE with the 1/4 rods. I going to fix them.

Leaving that, I could still ask if the leading edge should be straight or form a small arc, even if the length of the rods is right?

What do you think? will it make a difference in the performance?

Cheers!

Juan

Juan,

If you lay the sail out flat on the floor without any rods installed, you'll notice that the kite has been sewn with a small curve/arch in the leading edge. Install the rods and the curve stays ... in fact, I don't think you can get it to be straight.

Fly it with the curve, that's the way it was meant to be. The pictures on the Rev site are misleading for the JB Pro's.

Cheers,

Tom

OK Tom, you got me on that one. :kid_smartass:

However main point, we both agree that Rev 1 type rods would be WAY too long. And that there is a built in curve to the LE.

Good point too Mr Denny. It is easy to not get those Rods together properly. I check and double check.

Hope you get it flying soon Juan