KiteLife Forum

Are kite flyers a dying breed?

Tim P.

I'm just recently getting back into kite flying and maybe it's just that I haven't looked hard enough for stuff, but I remember when I was working at a kite store back in the '80's that there seemed to be a lot more going on in the kiting world than I can find now. There were several magazines devoted to the subject, and you could "follow" how the kite flying competitors and teams were doing month to month in the rankings, etc. In the last year or so that I'm dipping my toes back into kiting, it seems that individually that the folks that fly are still as passionate about it as they used to be "back in the day", but I don't see the OVERALL interest that I seemed to be aware of back then.

Just from looking around this site also, I've followed several folks' links to various kite related things only to find it's a dead link or if the link is still active, that it's not been updated in several years. The ones I have found that are current are great, but it just seems to me in general that the exposure for kite flying isn't what it once was.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know, lol.

Anyone else have a similar experience or want to point to the opposite, how kite flying is thriving stronger than ever?

I'm just recently getting back into kite flying and maybe it's just that I haven't looked hard enough for stuff, but I remember when I was working at a kite store back in the '80's that there seemed to be a lot more going on in the kiting world than I can find now. There were several magazines devoted to the subject, and you could "follow" how the kite flying competitors and teams were doing month to month in the rankings, etc. In the last year or so that I'm dipping my toes back into kiting, it seems that individually that the folks that fly are still as passionate about it as they used to be "back in the day", but I don't see the OVERALL interest that I seemed to be aware of back then.

Just from looking around this site also, I've followed several folks' links to various kite related things only to find it's a dead link or if the link is still active, that it's not been updated in several years. The ones I have found that are current are great, but it just seems to me in general that the exposure for kite flying isn't what it once was.

Maybe it's just me, I don't know, lol.

Anyone else have a similar experience or want to point to the opposite, how kite flying is thriving stronger than ever?

Kiting is dead where I live. There used to be a strong kite community with people meeting up every Sunday at local beaches, heck, everyday after work. Now, it's an uncommon sight to see another kite flying at the beach. I live on an Island with hundreds of miles of coastline, a flier's paradise. 3 million residents... you would think that more people would be flying, but to the rest of them, the beach is seldom visited, and never between Sept.10th and May20th. Thank Goodness ! But really, it would be nice to see some other people kiting once in a while.

If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have any access to great kites & great kite people.

~Rob.

Yeah John, I did read that and that's what got me thinking about this. (That and also just a chance to try to get a good discussion going, hehe ;)) When I read your article I was shocked at the low number of competitors out there nowadays. The actual number of kite flyers that I've seen the last 8-10 years at the beaches that I frequent have vanished. It used to be that you could always find someone flying a kite along the beach almost anywhere you went, but now if I go out flying the only other kite i see is an occasional kite surfer. Maybe a few single lines flying off someone's deck on the house, but I don't see a stunt kite flying around anywhere. I'm sure there's some correlation between the lack of competitors and my percieved lack of general kite flying public. I don't know if economic related, lack of interest, or what. I know not seeing folks flying kites when I used to see them all the time makes me kinda sad though.

I think it's lack of interest, and lack of will for people to do anything active & fun anymore. Kite flying is one of the least expensive hobbies to remain involved in. Once you have your kites, the wind is free... and kites last a long time.

As far as competition, I for one have no desire to compete at something that relaxes and challenges me. I don't have the time to travel to more than 1 or 2 competitions each year, and actually resent the large space that the competition takes away from the kite field. I had no place to fly (dual line) at Wildwood this year within the boundries of the festival, because the competition was taking up one entire field for one person to fly at a time. That field could have easily held a dozen dual line fliers at one time, if not more. The upside of that was that I was able to spectate more and take some pictures.

~Rob.

Live to fly.....I, kite therefore I am. ;)

Woooo! Some gaff that!!!! My house here is about the same size as your garage :w00t:

.....only one problem you've no excuses now, living on top of the beach like that, you'll have to be out flying everyday :kid_devlish:

Best of luck!

Chris

... Will you have to change your Forum name once you get the move done...

Maybe to "The Forum member formerly known as MikeM Tucson" :kid_devlish:

Yea, probably to "Wet Mike" ...

Funny thing is our RC club had a member who moved from Oregon to Tucson. After about two years he packed up and moved back to Oregon. Said he simply missed the rain.

Cheers,

Tom

Funnier still, the previous Optometrist that was in Brookings, moved to Safford, Arizona

I am aware of the weather in Oregon, Kristine and I moved there (Forest Grove)in 1977, got married there in 1979, our first son born there 1980

she graduated in 1984, moved to Redding, then Napa, then Tucson 1992

Besides it on rains once a year in Oregon.... starts in October~ends in May

From John's report from the Grand Nationals and Convention:

In terms of new, young blood, this is the best collective showing we've seen at one AKAGN in a very long time - very good to see, shows hope for a wave of new ideas and excitement going into the coming years.

Makes me feel a lot better! :kid_devlish:

I believe kiting is going through an evolutionary process as we speak... A lot has changed since the early 90s, and organized kiting was (is) a little slow to evolve from a presentation standpoint.

A lot of the old guard is dropping off by attrition, some new faces are coming in or "coming of age", I honestly see good things in the years to come.

A couple of semi-related articles, might of interest:

http://kitelife.com/magazine/issue73/life73

http://kitelife.com/magazine/issue74/life74

Ha, just realized I already posted the life74 link - sorry, plate's full, a bit scattered. :kid_devlish:

Seems to me the biggest dynamic is sociological...

Kiting has taken a hit with baseball games, camping trips, and all sorts of other outdoor family activities.

In my eyes, it's a matter of representing kiting in new ways, appealing to the new generations in ways that they can relate to and get excited by.

I was talking to an acquaintance about the addictive nature of sports kite flying (at that time, duals), and how it was a bit mysterious - in that I could not explain it.

He said that it was probably similar to golf.

:w00t:

Interesting analogy - the important challenge is to one's self more than competition with another. Self improvement in a field that may have meaning primarily only to one's self.

Another aspect of all kite flying is the interaction of the person, the artifact (kite), and the natural world to create something original - flight - the placement of a beautiful object or a beautiful dance into the cosmos, and to be connected to it. I fear the desire to interact with the natural world is ebbing since the '70's and '80's.

Just some thoughts to provoke discussion pro, con, or expansive. :kid_devlish:

• Like 1

That's pretty much one of the main reasons I think I enjoy kite flying as much as I do. When it's a nice day, spending time flying allows me to forget whatever troubles might be going on and simply zone out. I don't even need to watch the kite (although that's part of the fun too, hehe), just feel the pull, the wind, the speed, etc. Balances out all of whatever crap might be going on and makes me feel better. And that makes me act better towards others too. All the world could use a bit of kite flying. :kid_devlish:

• Like 1

That's pretty much one of the main reasons I think I enjoy kite flying as much as I do. When it's a nice day, spending time flying allows me to forget whatever troubles might be going on and simply zone out. I don't even need to watch the kite (although that's part of the fun too, hehe), just feel the pull, the wind, the speed, etc. Balances out all of whatever crap might be going on and makes me feel better. And that makes me act better towards others too. All the world could use a bit of kite flying. :w00t:

Totally agree! ...and a headset, and some special tunes, :kid_devlish: sure adds to the experience!

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread. I am so new to the scene and in love with quad lined kiting! I will be kiting for the rest of my life. If anything, this year kiting has +1 member who is looking forward to traveling to festivals!

• Like 1

I don't think kite flyers are a dying breed but I do think that people tend to look at it as something that may be difficult to do when it comes to dual or quad line kites. I have given many people the chance to fly one and most of the time the answer I get is that they are afraid they will break it. I tell them that although possible it is not likely and try to get them over and give it a spin. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I am very excited about an opportunity that was presented to me over the weekend but I am not exactly sure how I am going to be able to do it. I coach multiple sports at our local YMCA and I am right in the middle of soccer season. I am coaching 2 soccer teams (3 - 5 yo's and 12 - 15 yo's) so my Saturdays are usually spent at the soccer fields. My son and I for the past couple of weekends have decided to break out the kites between games and needless to say with that many kids around it draws a crowd. I have had countless children ask if they could try and of course I want to bring the joy I have into their lives. so I let them. This has happened for 3 Saturdays now. This Saturday, the activities director asked if I would be interested in doing a multiple weekend kite clinic for the kids and that it would be something that I could do a few times per year. He also mentioned that it could possibly be at multiple locations. I am all about it except that I am limited to 4 kites so I think I may run into an inventory problem if it takes off. I am excited to see where this leads though.

• Like 1

Fantastic opportunity. You could put the call out to anyone nearby who also flies. Even with an extra pair of hands and one or two more sails you could double the number of kids that you'd be able to teach. Look at he member map and see if someone is nearby. Sometimes Rev'ers just like the opportunity to treat it as a fly day so they'll come. If you have some SLK's to help attract attention for that day would help.

I have had interested by-standers from time to time come over and talk, and sometimes they're even interested in taking the lines to try. This weekend, one of them actually came back... with his own Rev ! I am excited that there may be a new flier in the area, I did my best to set him in the right direction, but unfortunately, the wind was failing for the day. Hopefully he'll be back out soon !

PereiraM, It sounds like you have a great opportunity on your hands... I hope it takes off for you. Let us know if you need some training kites, I'm sure some old wings will shake loose from Kitelife members for a good cause.

PereiraM: Excellent opportunity to inspire the next generation of kite fliers. I hope it takes off for you. I looked up your location and realized it is close to Pensacola. Perhaps you could reach out to the Emerald Coast Kite Flyers Club for some helping hands and kites.

RobB: Good job. Hopefully you will soon have a regular to fly with.

• Like 1