KiteLife Forum

First "Rev" historic article ? (Kite Lines)

Hello,

Since I'm not English fluent, I can't read quickly over all these amazing publications.

I wonder where was the first article speaking about "the revolution" about the first "Revo" in the world ?

Could you help ? What is the KiteLines issue to download to discover this historic article ?

Thank you very much,

Guy

(related topic - )

Again, just opened each issue in the 1987-1990 time period, hit "control-F" and searched for "Revolution" text. ;)

Page numbers below are relative to the PDF (counting cover and inside cover), not the actual page numbers.

==

Summer 1989

v7-3 - Page 9 - First ad for Revolution in this magazine

(no feature articles - at least up until 1991 - maybe after)

Again, just opened each issue in the 1987-1990 time period, hit "control-F" and searched for "Revolution" text. ;)

[..]

Again I could not do it without prior dowload all the magasines, and the goal of my question was just to avoid to dowload all before searching ! wink.gif

So now I'll go to dowload the right issues ASAP.

Thanks a lot for your efficient help John !

Best Regards,

Guy

My pleasure sir. ;)

Mine too ;-)

BTW I read "Revolution" was "formerly Neos Omega" and I searched the first articles about this new kind of stunt kite, so... if you know the first article about the first appearance of a 4 lines stunt kite, it will be welcomed !

Kitingly,

Guy

I'm not sure, might be somewhere in the Kite Lines archives since it's the only readily available publication that pre-dates the Revolution (1988).

Sure you are right, so I'll search there as soon as I will be able to download all the KiteLines collection.

But yourself John, could you tell us what was your reaction the first time you have seen one 4 lines stunt kite ? Was it a Rev ? Were you fallen in love instantly or after trying it ?

Perhaps this interesting story is already somewhere, so maybe you have a link ?

Best Regards,

Guy

Honestly, I didn't have any unusual reaction to 4 line... I was introduced to both dual and quad within the same month (August 1990), and I didn't fly single line before that.

I had problems with the Rev 1 that I bought in 1991, mostly because I had the vertical spars on the wrong side, so I foolishly sold it.

Six months later (after learning my mistake), I bought a Rev II and have been flying both types of kite ever since. ;)

Honestly, I didn't have any unusual reaction to 4 line... I was introduced to both dual and quad within the same month (August 1990), and I didn't fly single line before that.

I had problems with the Rev 1 that I bought in 1991, mostly because I had the vertical spars on the wrong side, so I foolishly sold it.

Six months later (after learning my mistake), I bought a Rev II and have been flying both types of kite ever since. ;)

Ah ah ah ! Thanks for this story John !

This encourage me because I did the same error, the proof in video :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7wmmy_20081229-essais-kite-revolution_tech

laugh.gif

But I doubt I have enough time in front of me in my whole life to become as good as you ! ;-)

Best wishes,

Guy

Guy ~

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting your video!

BOY... Did that take me back! I wish I had a video of my first days of flying Reving!

I made every mistake possible and thought it was one of the "stupid-est" purchases I had ever made!

Same here, rods on the front, lines tangled, slamming my poor kite into the ground over-and-over again, spending walk-of-shame-time more than sky-time, shaking my head... wondering how something so beautifully simple to watch others do, was so impossible for me to accomplish... three days later, and just short of throwing in the towel... it finally took flight! ...and so goes my continued obsession!

Awesome PRICELESS video! Thanks for sharing! ...You Made MY Day!

Yep, could just as easily been this fat old Bear on those lines. I think we all have those first flight memories.

Actually thinking that by holding our arms up it would help keep the kite in the air.

WOW, that was certainly a brave moove, posting that Vid. ;)

• 2 months later...

Guy,

Great video!

It made me think about wish-lists. Mine, back in the summer of 1989 might have included:

1) Have a photographer (it would have had to be film back then) to record my learning curve.

2) If I had a photographer, maybe he/she could have set my kite up when I crashed it.

3) Since I didn't have a photographer, I wish my lines had been shorter than 150 or 200 feet. (45-60m) That was a LONG Walk-of-Shame!

Yours might have included:

1) Longer lines, as those short (15m?) lines didn't give you much time to react.

2) Tighter brake lines, as you might have discovered launching from leading-edge down sooner.

3) Reading the instructions a bit more carefully to get the vertical spars assembled properly the first time.

I am assuming that was all on a single day. It took me a LOT longer than that to get to where you were by the end of the video.

Thanks for this. It should come on the instructional video that Rev provides. People should KNOW that they will crash at first, and that they WILL learn soon enough.

Ha ha ha,

Thanks all for your kind words and funny experiences !

If you want take a look at my most recent learning curve point, you can watch this with Google Translate tool on the top right :

(this Revolution is a Spanish one under Revolution brand license, numbered and customised with my name "Alomphega" matrix.gif)

http://nauticaerium....t-sous-les.html

or you can also watch on YT directly :

Best wishes,

Guy