KiteLife Forum

Greater Longevity through Kitting

Guru4tru

The actual title for this is: "Greater Longevity and a Better Quality of Life through Kiting", (but there wasn’t enough room.)

As I was trying to learn how to do summersaults across the wind tunnel with my Rev. today, I looked back over my last 3 years or so, since I started kiting, and examined the different requirements I had to go through to learn how to fly different kinds of kites.

My first kite was a dragon single liner kite that I bought at Wal-Greens for $5. When I was finished flying it, I felt happy...happier then I’ve been in a long time. I read an article by a neurologist from India that said that, “...looking up, such as is done when kiting, changes the chemical balance in the brain.” (I wish I could find the article again, but it doesn’t matter with respects to this writing.) It’s known that people who are depressed “look down”; happy people “look up”. What is now known, is that just by “looking up” a person’s depression will be diminished or even possibly be relieved.

Next time you are at a Kite Festival...look at the eyes of the single liners flying their kites. You’ll see they have sparkling and loving eyes. If you ask them, “Where did you get the stuff?” they’d probably just point to the sky about where their kite is!!

===

Then I moved on to dual liners. Dual liners are very "intellectual" and have a “conscious mind” to body relationship that has to be learned. I say “intellectual” because I could actually improve my flying in my bedroom by going through the proper motions required to do a certain trick. And during this time I became more mentally aware of things around me, than before I started flying the dualies. Ask any dual liner flyer, “How’s your mind today?” And they’d probably say, “It's as sharp as a tack!!”

===

Then I picked up a Rev. This was a different story. I wasn’t looking up as much, so my state of bliss was a little less, and my “intellect” was of little or no value in learning this kite. As I said, I’m trying to learn something and having a hard time with it, but I’m not the least bit frustrated, because I (my conscious self) isn’t the guy learning it. My experiences have been in the past that I just keep doing it over and over again and then all of a sudden, “ZAP”, I’m doing it, and then I can’t even imagine what the problem was.

I realized that the “guy” within me that has to learn how to fly a Rev. is an "unconscious" sort of guy. I never met him, but he’s the guy that beats my heart and takes care on my digestive processes, he lives somewhere in my gut. He does a whole lot of things within me, and one of those things is that he is responsible for learning how to fly a Rev. (You can’t practice intellectual Rev. Flying in your bedroom and expect any improvement.) He’s also the guy in charge of “yawning” and if people start yawning around you, you will start yawning too. That’s why it has been very helpful for me to watch all the videos I can of Rev. Flying...again and again. Just by that guy “seeing” it being done, helps him to do it! This is the guy, as I said, that is also in charge of my digestion of food processing...and flying a Rev. will actually improve how he does his job because it exercises him. So if you go up to a Rev. Flyer and ask them, “How are your bowel movements?” They will probably say, “It couldn’t be better!!” (Which becomes very important when you get as old as Jeepster and Hedgewarden.) heehee!!

So, with no fear of contradiction, I will say that:

"People Who Fly Kites...Live Longer and have a Better Quality of Life than Non-Kite Fliers!

Keep It Up!

Duane

• Like 1

I'm speechless, no doubt ! Carry on, but always carry your "badge"....... ;)post-4670-074493500 1296693671_thumb.jpg So we can identify you !

10-4 Reef Runner! And thanks for the badge...it has a position of honor on my old hat!! And I hope you have had enough flight time to insure your ongoing good health!! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Well, I do agree about longevity through doing what you love, and loving what you do. People need something to do, I think there are so many people on depression medication because no one does anything anymore. Kite flying fills the need for me, it will take me the rest of my life to learn to fly like some of the people I've seen fly, and that's just with dual line kites. I'm going to have to be re-incarnated to spend the next lifetime learning to fly four-lines. ;)

~Rob.

Yeah...OK...maybe I express things in a funny way sometimes, but "Truth" somehow finds its way through my BS...heehee!!

"...doing what you love, and loving what you do...!" Right on Rob!! Unfortunately, I didn't find that out till I was 59 years old and started kiting....and fortunately, I didn't die before finding it! "All is well, that ends well!! heehee!!

--

And Tony....You might want to take some extra underwear along next time you go Rev-ing...after this post, the comment may come up!! :dual: heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

PS At least....No one can rightfully say that us Rev. Flyers are full of sh_t!! heehee!!

This is really getting deep ! :dual: You're driving me to :big_beer: !!

Hi Reef Runner!

Well said!! heehee!!

And I see you found out how to pull up the additioinal "Emoticons" (thanks to my directions, I'm a computer wizz :) ) The beer one is one of my favorites...and also this one:

:)

But, I just haven't found a place to use it yet!! heehee!!

=========

Five hours flight time today with the mid vent Rev. (Elvira)...Temp. in the 80' south wind about 8 to 15 mph w/gusts to about 20 once in awhile. I'm still waiting for my "summersualts across the wind tunnel" to kick in place! (Got a little sun burn.)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Temp. in the 80's south wind 8 to 15 mph (Got a little sun burn.)

You know that's completely criminal :argue: and you should be ashamed for even mentioning, "80's and sun burn", on this forum. Got any idea about the weather conditions, north of the "Sunshine State". How does "steady rain, 35 degrees, and 6-8 mph out of the northwest (oh and NO gust)", sound to you? And that's just here in the Carolinas. I don't even dare venture, north of the Mason/Dixon line, or west of the Mississippi. So you enjoy that "little sun burn" while you can, because it won't be long, and you'll be running for cover............. :big_beer:

Ok, just giving you a hard time.................enjoy, enjoy :dual::):)

nick

Oh yes, five weeks to Kite Party ... then the season officially kicks off me!!! Then Duane will start to get in the hot, hot, sticky season. You know, where he has to be on the beach when the sun comes up and can only fly for a little while? Then life will balance out again.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Nick,

Well, It's obvious that I made a mistake in telling you where "all" the "Emoticons" are at and how to get to them!!

And don't pay any attention to what I'm saying about the great weather we are having down here. It is great, but I'm only doing that to lure "Jynx" to Florida!! heehee!!

========

And Jeepster you are right about my time sitting inside! I lose about 3 months do to the heat index down here during the summer, which becoming dangerous to old men!! heehee!! Just don't tell "Jynx" about that part of Florida!!

========

Flew today with additional sun screen, so I'm OK! heehee!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Great thread Duane!

I like kites because they don't define what we think or feel, but they do have the uncanny effect of stimulating "outside" or "upward" thought and feeling.

Without a doubt, kiting (both the activity itself and my fellow fliers) made a profound difference in my life. ;)

Looking up, indeed.