KiteLife Forum

Member Map

Note, when you enter your location, you can use the same as you would with Google...

Examples:

1. 123 Some St, Portland, OR

2. Some St and Other St, Portland, OR

3. Portland, OR

However vague you want to be, no problem.

It should work like this, let me know if you find out otherwise. :big_blowup:

Fine, except Google (both G-Earth and G-Maps) can't seem to get the addresses right in my neighborhood.

The marker is at my neighbor-to-the-east's driveway.

The red arrow shows the right location.

post-5920-0-37762400-1297657378_thumb.pn

It would be nice if they would allow Lat/Lon location entry. (I tried. I know my Lat/Lon to the nearest hundredth of a second of Lat/Lon.)

Fine, except Google (both G-Earth and G-Maps) can't seem to get the addresses right in my neighborhood.

Hrm... Have you tried entering latitude/longitude instead?

Not sure if it would work, just an idea.

Hrm... Have you tried entering latitude/longitude instead?

Not sure if it would work, just an idea.

I did try. It won't accept it; at least in the format I tried: 42°19'21.60"N, 83°35'51.31"W

That's OK; you can always zoom in on the house at the end of the long driveway just to the west. Switch to "Hybrid" map to see the house.

Or check it out directly:

http://home.comcast.net/~ford-rd/house/index.html

I did try. It won't accept it; at least in the format I tried: 42°19'21.60"N, 83°35'51.31"W

Pete, Forget the seconds, and put the hemisphere designation, in front of the coordinates !

The map programs, will take Longitude / Latitude coordinates, but you need to use the more common, GPS format, which is as follows

hddd mm.mmm

h = hemisphere

dd = degrees

mm.mmm = minutes carried out to 3 decimal places

These are my home coordinates N36 24.079 W78 22.384 and I bet if you put your home coordinates, in this format, it will put the mark on the map, right on top of your house, assuming that you have the correct coordinates for you house. I got my coordinates, by circling the perimeter of the house, with a handheld gps, downloading the track around the house, from the gps, to a mapping program on my computer, then creating a waypoint (my house), within the circle, or track, that I made when I circled the house.

Coordinates don't lie. Mapping programs, such as Bing, Google Earth, etc. lie. They are only as good as the person that put them together. The problem with the mapping programs, and the gps's that people use in their cars today, are that the mapping programs, that the gps pulls from, are notoriously inaccurate. They are dependent on where the mappers put your address, as it relates to real coordinates, or the address that you are looking for. A couple of hundred feet will put you at the wrong house, or business. The exact coordinates, will put you at the same spot, every time, and those coordinates are always in the same place, no matter which map program you use. 125 Main Street on Bing Maps, may be 500' from 125 Main Street, on Google Maps, but N42 19.420 W083 35.857 will always be in the same spot, and should put the dot right on top of your roof, in the center. Try it....................nick :)

Gotcha! Thanks, Reef Runner. That worked.

Were the new cords correct ?

Yep.

N42 19.420 W083 35.857

Of course, as a belt-and-suspenders sort of guy (I actually DO wear both) I also pulled the coordinates from Google Earth and got the exact same thing.

(Don't forget the extra zero for those whose longitude is under 100 degrees.)

Right on the button (er, house). Check it out - right there in SE Michigan. (You know you're from there if you hold your hand up and point at it to give directions.)

Where do I find the thing to click on that after this post is gone?

Right-hand end of the Tabs at the top of the page.

Thanks Pete...I got it!!

This is great!!

I was even able to find that frisbee in my yard that I lost last year!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

AND...WOW!! Check this out!!

Go west from my place to the intersection and turn left (heading south). Go about 1/2 mile to the first right and turn right (heading west) and just to your right you will see Sunsport Gardens Nudist Camp!! heehee!! :)(...and over by the pool...is that Mr. G. without any........kites?!?!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Go west from my place to the intersection and turn left (heading south). Go about 1/2 mile to the first right and turn right (heading west) and just to your right you will see Sunsport Gardens Nudist Camp!! heehee!! :)(...and over by the pool...is that Mr. G. without any........kites?!?!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Damn, couldn't get it to zoom in enough :devil::lol::lol:

Now THIS is a "fun" addition! :)

Hoping more members jump-on the band-wagon!

Yeah...I hope everyone jumps on board too!!

I will admit that "my personal privacy" crossed my mind for a second and that some mad-dog might know where I live and come and steal my kites, but then I realized how silly that is today. Today there is no personal privacy...just "google" my name and you get my address, wife's age & where she works, the cost of my house, taxes I've paid and about everything I've ever said in the last year or two! :devil: heehee!!

Jynx...wow...how lucky you are...you have a kite field right behind your house!!

Keep It Up!

Duane

Go west from my place to the intersection and turn left (heading south). Go about 1/2 mile to the first right and turn right (heading west) and just to your right you will see Sunsport Gardens Nudist Camp!! heehee!! :crazy:(...and over by the pool...is that Mr. G. without any........kites?!?!)

Keep It Up!

Duane

Hey John,

This "Mapping" stuff is really cool!!

But, is it possible to present it as "real time streaming video" (at least for my local area)??...or, I suppose, I could just learn "KAP"!! heehee!

:wacko:

Keep It Up!

Duane

... Today there is no personal privacy...

Want to know how bad it is ...

Cheers,

Tom

Definitely Facebooked that one.

There are several thought provoking videos in the google series. Look up the the vacationeers on youtube. If you have a smart phone you might like this one.

Cheers,

Tom

What are the different "Map" markers, and what do they mean. When I view the map, some markers are a pointed bubble with a "dot", and some appear to be a pointed bubble, with an "F", and some (mine) appears to be a pointed bubble with a "house". Just curious, does anyone know what these mean ? confused_1.gif

Without testing, I would guess that the house is your marker (home); 'F" are markers for people who are tagged as your friends (here on kitelife); and the dots are everyone else. Yep, I just friended a couple of folks and watched their markers change to "F"s.